I've sat through all 16 hours of live aid and it's shit.

PowerButchi

• Moderators

While Queen normally get the gold medal, Ultravox were best for me, Jeff. 

Duran Duran or Led Zeppelin won the "thanks for turning up" badge. Paul Wrexham Council Weller was shit. Billy Ocean didnt even make the telly bit. It was fucking dogshit other than Ultravox! and Queen. And after spending 5 minutes listening to Collins warbling over the Atlantic...

Edited by PowerButchi

Oh, you didn't know! Utter shite. Watched it live when it first aired. I'd intended to record quite a bit of it, but ended up with about 3 songs. A very self-congratulatory event. It raised dosh, that was the point, but the entertainment level was on a par with your average Comic Relief night.

I bought the box set when it was released in the early 2000s and have watched that all the way through, I know there are playlists of the entire event on YouTube but have never had the urge to sit through it all.  Out of curiosity I stuck the Led Zeppelin performance on the other night after hearing on the documentary how they'd blocked it from ever being shown again.  I can understand why, it was fucking awful and I couldn't even get through the first song Plant's vocals were that bad.

My favourite performance is Hall & Oates dueting with the Temptations from the Philly show and as much as it pains me I actually quite enjoy U2 too.

The Zeppelin performance is a total car crash. Phil Collins said that they'd tried to blame how shit it was on him, despite him being the only one who'd rehearsed and had flown on Concorde to be there for it. You can see him actively trying to cover up Page's mistakes during the clusterfuck of a solo on Stairway To Heaven. Highlight is Jimmy Page fighting a mic stand and losing within the first few seconds of the set.

• Paid Members

yeah, Zeppelin basically acted as if that gig never even happened, so when they did their eventual reunion gigs in the '00s, Live Aid wasn't even mentioned. Everyone just collectively agreed to forget all about it.

I've watched both the Zeppelin set and Queen's set again this morning because of this thread. It's night and day. Led Zep are a disorganised mess, even down to not being tuned up properly. Robert Plant's vocals are screechy and Jimmy Page looks like he's eaten all of the drugs. Phil Collins is top drawer though and trying his best to hold things together.

Queen on the other hand are air tight, the transitions between the songs are obviously well practiced and Freddie Mercury has that crowd eating from the palm of his hand from the first note. I got full body goosebumps from Radio fucking Ga Ga for God's sake. Such a brilliant performance. Is there any truth to the story that Elton John was meant to go on after and basically said "fuck following that" and Bowie had to go on instead?