WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Street Uni X, it's pretty much just Tony Hawk's 2 but on a unicyle and it works suprisingly well. Had a go after seeing Radrat enjoy it and yeah it takes a bit to reprogram your brain to use the controls as you'll likely be trying to press Y or Triangle to grind... I personally play it with the pixelated PS1 filter but you can make it look "cleaner" if you want.

• Paid Members

Thank Goodness You're Here!

Absolutely bonkers. It's short, the gameplay is fairly linear but it had us in stitches the entire run through.

I really don't want to talk too much about it because it should be experienced without knowing about it, but I will say I saw no less than two pieces of grafitti celebrating the death of Thatcher in it.

• Paid Members

I just played it for an hour, and it's an absolute delight. Already a few genuine laugh out loud moments, and that the game opens with a question about whether or not you understand Yorkshire dialect is amazing.

So, I have a question. I cannot play 360 games on my Series X. And I mean ones that you can play on Xbox. I tried putting in GTA IV and Oblivion, Both came up with "Getting your Xbox 360 info..." and just stays there. Nothing happens. I'm really confused.

On 8/10/2024 at 6:06 PM, FLips said:

Thank Goodness You're Here!

Absolutely bonkers. It's short, the gameplay is fairly linear but it had us in stitches the entire run through.

I really don't want to talk too much about it because it should be experienced without knowing about it, but I will say I saw no less than two pieces of grafitti celebrating the death of Thatcher in it.

It’s definitely a game I’d expect the vast majority of the forum to appreciate - more for the humour than the gameplay, which is fairly non-existent. Not that the gameplay that’s there is bad, but it’s closer to a walking simulator than it is a classic adventure game. But that’s fine, you’re playing it for the humour and to find more of the jokes, not to tax your brain. It’s a VERY short game - I completed it in one sitting, in around 2-hours - but I would definitely encourage people to pay the introductory sale price for it if you can afford to rather than wait for a bigger sale. It’s such a smart game, and well worth experiencing. 

I seem to have become a bit of a Final Fantasy head in recent years after completely missing out on the series in my youth.

Had a look at my switch library organised by hours played. Tears of the Kingdom remains the champ, closely followed by Game Boy Online (my wife played Tetris every single day while pregnant) and then It's Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VII, IX and X.

Been chipping away at X most recently and really enjoying it. The remaster looks great and the game in general does a good job of making it feel like a massive world even though you are basically walking through a linear corridor until you trigger a cutscene / fight someone.

It's of the best battle systems in any FF that I have played, I also really like the sphere system after finding it absolutely pointless compared to just normal levelling up at first. 

The bosses so far have been great. I like the fact that you cant really just grind and get overpowered and cake walk them. You usually need to figure out what 3 party members to use and then there's a nice moment where the exact strategy you need becomes obvious. 

I just finished the first battle against the appallingly named MAESTER SEYMOUR. For what is largely a very bright and colourful game, the Anima summon really comes out of nowhere. Outrageous design.  

7 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

It's of the best battle systems in any FF that I have played, I also really like the sphere system after finding it absolutely pointless compared to just normal levelling up at first. 

Have you tried XII yet? I hated that game when I was younger, but when I revisited on Switch, I realised that I was completely wrong about it - and it was one of the best entries in the series, thanks largely to its battle system, which is a load of fun. 

• Paid Members

There's a sale on Doom/Quake games on Switch at the moment so I've picked up the new Doom/Doom 2 collection (which is available for free if you already own the older versions), Doom 64 and Doom 3. I've been enjoying Doom 64. It's an entirely different game from the other ones. I've not looked at Doom 3 yet. I think the 2016 Doom is only about £6 at the moment as well, and have heard good things about that. They've certainly been a big change from Fit My Cat, which is a super casual puzzle game. There are other variations (Fit My Zoo and Fit My Dog) but they're all ostensibly the same. Stick the cats in the grid so they all fit. Different cats take up different numbers and shapes of squares, and there are sometimes baskets, toys, bowls etc in the grid that you have to try and fit your cats around. Presumably they didn't want to call it Catris for fear of possible legal reprisals. There's no time limit, no set number of tries or moves. It's just super chilled and casual. 

11 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

Have you tried XII yet? I hated that game when I was younger, but when I revisited on Switch, I realised that I was completely wrong about it - and it was one of the best entries in the series, thanks largely to its battle system, which is a load of fun. 

Not yet, X is the most recent one I have played other than the first part of the VII remake. I have XVI on the PS5 but just have not got around to it.

I noticed XII is still an outrageous £45 on the e-shop. Any reason why its so highly priced compared to every other entry? Going to have to try for a cheap physical edition of that when I get to that stage.

8 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

I think the 2016 Doom is only about £6 at the moment as well, and have heard good things about that. 

I played Doom 2016 on switch as I didnt have a PS4 yet at the time. It's obviously not the best version but its a great game, a great port and absolutely a steal at that price.

Much, much better than Doom Eternal.

14 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I noticed XII is still an outrageous £45 on the e-shop. Any reason why its so highly priced compared to every other entry? Going to have to try for a cheap physical edition of that when I get to that stage.

I can't think of any justification for it, particularly when you consider its age - not only of the game, but the port itself. It's £30 for Switch on Amazon, and £19.99 if you get the PS4 version. You can get it second hand at CEX for £20, so I definitely wouldn't go digital, if that's the price you're looking at paying. 

17 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Not yet, X is the most recent one I have played other than the first part of the VII remake. I have XVI on the PS5 but just have not got around to it.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XV, even though the story is a bit of a mess. The villain is still very well written, though. As far as XVI is concerned, although it's split opinion, it's ended up being one of my favourite games ever. The story is great, and the voice acting is the best it's ever been in the series. In addition to that, the combat is just plain fun. 

I've only briefly dipped my toe into XIV, but it's a game I plan to revisit when I have a bit more time.