Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

The only surprising thing is they haven't stripped Usyk already of his IBF world title. It's a joke, we all know it , Joshua can have the chance if  it happens to back door his way to being a three time heavyweight champion of the world, they'll be marketing the life out of that if it happens. 

Ryan Garcia has been banned for a year by the New York State commision for failing two drug tests following his win over Devin Haney,  that fight has now been declared a no contest and Garcia has been fined  1.1 Million. He apparently retired the day before the verdict was announced,  so he knew what was coming and laughed that he'll serve the one year ban and unretire, that doesn't come as a surprise as the ban being for only one year is a joke, his team and him insist he never knowingly cheated.

• Paid Members

AJ vs Dubois for September then. Usyk’s announced that he’ll be vacating his IBF title and these two are gonna be fighting for it. Shite that the belts have been separated again already but you knew it was coming. I like this fight though. A big Heavyweight fight in the UK as well, which makes for a change these days. 

• Paid Members

Love how they are keeping fighters who are taking these chances on these shows. Fighters getting rewarded for taking tough fights and rightly so.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Fancy Kelly to turn over Smith at this point. Surprisingly an underdog with the bookies though.

I agree

I feel Kelly has rebuilt well and whilst a Solid world level operater, Smith is clearly starting to decline 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

Always found it odd he never came back, if memory serves correct he was probably ahead on score cards

It was definitely close while it lasted but the judges all had Canelo ahead at the time of the stoppage.

IMG-9003.jpg

Can’t remember how I had it now but I certainly would’ve had it closer than those couple of 78-74s. Even still, we’ll obviously never know for sure but based on what I’ve seen of both, I think Canelo would’ve finished stronger in the later rounds regardless.

It is weird how BJS never came back considering his age at the time but then when you look at the nature of the injury plus him not exactly known for having the best discipline/work ethic, that’s probably your answer. 

• 4 weeks later...