Skate (and other skateboard games)

Merzbow

• Paid Members

Yeah I was very happy to see this and even more so that the original developers are on board. I guess EA assumed they were leaving money on the table after the recent THPS news and Session/XL popping up. 

Fans have been heavily pleading with them to do another for years. It's EA, I shouldn't be surprised they care fuck all about what the fans think and just about ensuring they don't miss out themselves. 

59 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know it's not SKATEboarding. But I was gutted we never got an HD remaster or follow up to SSX Tricky. But that TH remake will do. Never played Skate. so interested in this sequel

Skate's amazing, far more of a sim than Tony Hawk's but the 3rd game started pushing in a more arcadey direction. I'd say play the 2nd game if you get the chance, pretty sure it's Xbone compatible and if often on sale.

3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Np pun intended, but the skate games are much trickier and fiddly than Tony Hawk, but as much as i love TH, it is more satisfying to do tricks and actually land them on Skate. 

Yeah, was such a tough game to get to grips with after so long playing THPS games. I'm reliving that same experience now years later, trying to re-learn Skate 3 on XB1 after binging THPS3/4/Underground on PCSX2 for the past couple weeks. Forgot how great the soundtracks were on those games! 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Skate's amazing, far more of a sim than Tony Hawk's but the 3rd game started pushing in a more arcadey direction. I'd say play the 2nd game if you get the chance, pretty sure it's Xbone compatible and if often on sale.

Hall of meat got more arcadey, but the addition of Hardcore made the actual skating way more realistic and dialed in. It feels so satisfying putting a basic, but realistic looking line together. 

I think Skate 3 suffered mostly because the map was shit. San Van had so much more charm and felt way more skateable than the disconnected Port Carverton map in Skate 3. 

If I can skate the Community Centre again in Skate 4, I'd die happy. 

Some of my jazz:

Edited by Silky Kisser

Skate always reminds me of TWCF member Corrine, who loved that game a LOT and used to make really funky videos of herself playing it.

I was working at EA when Skate 1 and 2 came out, great games although I really thought the first was the best one.  So I'd definitely revisit the series for a new iteration.  

Is skateboarding having a revival at the moment, or is it just long enough since the noughties that it's time for these game franchises to have a second wind?

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Skate always reminds me of TWCF member Corrine, who loved that game a LOT and used to make really funky videos of herself playing it.

I was working at EA when Skate 1 and 2 came out, great games although I really thought the first was the best one.  So I'd definitely revisit the series for a new iteration.  

Is skateboarding having a revival at the moment, or is it just long enough since the noughties that it's time for these game franchises to have a second wind?

Yeah, massively. These past couple of years I've been seeing skaters everywhere, not just young'uns either but people up into their 40's or whatever.

• Paid Members

I was never any good at the 3d console Tony Hawk games, but I really enjoyed the isometric ones one GameBoy Advance.