UFC 247: Jones vs Reyes - Feb 8 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The Gustafsson decision was the least controversial of those three for me. Gus fought a hell of a fight but I think most of the robbery talk was because he was the first to really give Jones a hard fight. There’s an argument for Gus winning that fight but I always felt Jones won.

The Santos fight was closer than the Gus one for me, but I had Jones edging that one as well.

This Reyes fight was the first time I’ve actually had Jones losing when the final buzzer went. I still don’t consider it a robbery because it ultimately came down to one round, which could’ve gone either way. So I can see how you’d score it for Jones. I watched it again earlier and I had Reyes again, scored him the first 3 rounds.

I’m not a big fan of immediate rematches. Never have been. But I’d rather see Jones vs Reyes 2 next than any of the other options. Unless we’re getting that Stipe fight or something. But if Jones’ next fight is at 205, then I can’t be doing with him against fucking Corey Anderson or Jan Blachowicz. Reyes deserves another crack at it. 

• Paid Members

Anderson/Blachowicz must be gutted because they were realisitically fighting a no.1 contender fight this weekend but the past weekends fight has taken any kind of shine off their fight (as little as it had). I think it'll all be about a Reyes rematch going forward.

• Paid Members

How far would Ankalaev be off from a title challenge? He's done a decent job of rebuilding since the Craig loss, and given how that match was going at the time, one could argue that shouldn't even factor into it.

• Paid Members

He’ll need some more significant wins before he’s in the mix. He’s fighting Ion Cutelaba soon. That’d be a solid win but won’t really move him much closer to a title shot. He could do with beating a Johnny Walker, OSP, Shogun or someone next maybe and go from there. He’s probably a bit of a way off regardless though. You’ve got Reyes who’ll be after a rematch now. Then Thiago Santos will want back in the convo whenever he’s back. There’s the Anderson vs Blachowicz winner. I could see Johnny Walker getting fast tracked if he rebounds with 2 or 3 nice wins, just because he’s so exciting and appealing as a challenger. A guy like Ankalaev has his work cut out to get a look in with that lot. He’s probably about where Reyes was when he fought Cannonier and OSP a year/18 months or so ago. 

• Paid Members

I figured as much. Something I remember us discussing a while back was how difficult it seemed to be for new contenders to appear in the UFC because Dana & Co. seem to be overly reliant on the same names for match-making. It often feels like a division has to be on its arse for them to finally cotton on and start trying to get new faces into the mix. 

Also, I can't help but suspect a bit of bias against the Russians and Eastern Europeans. All too often it seems like they're forever knocking about on the lower cards, and their wins don't seem to get them any closer. And if they do, it seems like the UFC are more intent on de-railing them with more big name matches than a Westerner would have to get through on the road to the title. Only exception I can think of is Nurmagomedov, but that's more down to his lack of reliability with injuries in the past.

I don't know - maybe it's a misperception on my part, but that's how it comes across.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s probably a marketability thing sadly. A lot of the Russian fighters have non-flashy fighting styles, hard to spell/pronounce similar sounding names and dry personalities and/or a lack of English. They probably have to work harder to stand out. I mean, even Khabib, it took him a long time to climb up the ranks. Injuries played a part in slowing his progress as you say, but it still took a while for him to break through. Even after dominating the likes of RDA. It just got to the point where he couldn’t be overlooked because he was ‘smeshing’ everyone. Him becoming more vocal and mentioning McGregor around the time of the Michael Johnson fight is what seemed to give him that final push that made him really resonate beyond the ‘hardcores’ for lack of a better term.

There are exceptions, obviously. Zabit Magomedsharipov is catching on and his Abraham Lincoln looking ass has had a relatively quick rise due to his wacky style. He’s definitely in the mix now with talk of him fighting Brian Ortega next. A win there can only lead him to a Yair, Zombie, Holloway or Volkanovski so hes well on his way now.

Guys like Ankalaev will get there eventually if they keep winning. I guess he just needs that signature win, ideally a big finish over a name. Someone like Glover Teixeira would’ve been ideal but Glover’s tied up with Anthony Smith now. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I guess. It just seems like the UFC either take ages to give these fighters their next fight, to give them an opponent they can "step up" against, or try to throw as many obstacles they can to derail said fighters.

Take Blagoy Ivanov, for example. Sure, looking at his record, you can see the argument for not giving him a title shot, as in the UFC he hasn't beaten that many big names, and his longest streak is two. Prior to that, though, he'd only lost one match, and his second loss was to JDS - imagine that, feeding a 16-1 fighter to Dos Santos on his debut! And the reason I mention Ivanov is because the HW division has had the most "excuses" of any division to have anyone challenge for a belt, really. 

• Paid Members

To be fair, the UFC has pumped challengers forward at 205lb, there's been guys challenging for belt there who maybe didnt really deserve a shot, but when you have a dominant guy on top thats what happens. It happened at 125 with Mighty Mouse too.

• Paid Members

It seems Derrick Lewis isn't too well. He says he's been dealing with an ongoing health condition, that's pretty serious, and he needs to get it sorted. Hopefully, whatever it is, it can be solved and cured and he can continue with his career afterwards. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/2/11/21132494/derrick-lewis-reveals-hes-been-battling-a-potentially-life-or-death-medical-issue-for-over-a-year

• Paid Members

dont wanna really bring up the judging again but just heard that the judge that scored the fight 49-46 for Jones also scored the first round of the Krause/Giles fight, the round where Krause spent the majority on Giles' back and nearly finished the fight with chokes, to Trevin fucking Giles! how?!?!?!

The judge, Joe Solis, is also apparently a black belt in BJJ.