UFC 247: Jones vs Reyes - Feb 8 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've absolutely no idea how Reyes got that decision against Ozedemir. He was gifted that one.

I may be misremembering, but was that fight against OSP one that he was clearly getting the worst of until walloping OSP with a head kick for the KO?

• Paid Members

I can’t remember much of Reyes vs OSP apart from the ending. I think he was winning and then caught OSP with a punch that decked him right as the fight ended. OSP looked done but the buzzer had gone so it went to the judges and Reyes got the win. Rogan was moaning that it should’ve been scored a KO for Reyes but the buzzer went straight after the knockdown so the ref would’ve had to have been quick to jump in. I didn’t have a problem with it not being called a KO. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, David said:

Ah, fuck. This is the time when Jones is going to lose, isn't it? Just as he's entertaining a move to heavy. He better fucking win now or i'll cry.

That's exactly what I want to happen, and that's why I know it won't. 

• Paid Members

Just watched this episode of Embedded.

Liked Derrick Lewis’ interaction with Jeff Novitzky at around 7 mins in. First saying ‘y’all look alike to me’ to a big white bald bloke. Then the supplement talk, which Lewis couldn’t look less arsed with. 

Novitzky: Do you use supplements?

Lewis: No.

Novitzky: You don’t use any?

Lewis: No. 

As if the Black Beast ponces about with that stuff. He gets his fuel the proper way. 

74D804A7-2798-44D0-AF23-A50ADBF98FD2.gif

Jack Slack's preview of the main event - https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/more-sports/mma/ufc-247-jones-the-clear-favourite-but-reyes-might-just-be-catching-him-at-the-right-time-1.1364654

The main card isn't that bad imo. Juan Adams' fight has no place on a main card, but it could be an inoffensive heavyweight brawl. As could Lewis vs "Some Fucker". Ige vs Bektic should be good. And it's always an occasion whenever Jones fights. 

I am going to tune in at 3am and hope for the best. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

as much as i love The Black Beast i think there's money to be made on Latifi here. He's a big underdog and he aint gonna want fuck all to do with Lewis on the feet. Unless Latifi shits himself and freezes, i see him shooting a quick double, dumping Lewis on the mat and holding him there, rinse and repeat a few times.

• Paid Members

Bit of a mad development on the undercard. Antonio Arroyo, who was supposed to fight Trevin Giles in a Middleweight fight, was rushed to hospital. Don’t think it was confirmed why but he’s out of the fight regardless. Hopefully he’s OK. James Krause has agreed to step in to replace him at the eleventh hour. Krause usually fights at 155. So he’ll be fighting 2 weight classes higher than usual and on a day’s notice. 

MMA, folks. 

F12E314E-F88D-4331-909C-FE9169611A2F.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I’ve mostly caught up on all the buildup stuff for this. Don’t really bother with the Countdowns anymore but I’ve been watching Embedded and the interviews and I just watched the weigh in. It’s not an amazing card or anything but it’s decent. I’m more up for this than I was for the McGregor vs Cerrone show last month anyway. 

5-FC9-DA71-ECF9-4-BE9-B8-C2-2-EB824-C520

Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes - I’m looking forward to this more the closer it’s gotten. Still can’t see Reyes being the man to stop Jones’ reign but I hope he makes a good fight of it at least. I’m seeing a few people predicting Reyes to pull off the upset but I genuinely think they’re just doing that so they’ll look like a genius on Sunday morning if it happens. I doubt they honestly believe he wins. Because, from what we’ve actually seen from Reyes, there really isn’t much to base that prediction on at all. Beating OSP and the dodgy decision over Oezdemir doesn’t exactly scream ‘Jon Jones slayer’ does it? And knocking out a washed up Weidman coming up from 185 tells us nothing. Reyes is good, no question. But we’re talking about Jon Fucking Jones here. And there’s really nothing about Reyes that convinces me he’s the one.

Jones by decision for me. The only thing giving me a slight doubt, and it’s a really minor thing, is that Jones really couldn’t have looked less arsed about this at the weigh in. He usually looks really fired up but he just looked disinterested here. He’s saying all the right things about ‘every fight being the most important’ and ‘holding onto this belt means everything’ but he didn’t really look as up for this one as usual. That plus the talk of fighting Stipe and you wonder is he looking past this one? Probably nothing and I’m reading too much into it. He could’ve just woke up from a nap for all I know. If they’re both on form I just can’t see Reyes living with what Jones brings to the table. The only advantage Reyes has, IMO, is his power. But that’s the case with pretty much all Jones opponents. He’s a master at taking your strengths away from you. I think Reyes goes the distance and maybe has a few competitive rounds but in the end, I’ll be surprised if Jones isn’t still the champ this time tomorrow morning.

CCC9572-C-5-C20-4-F71-84-AB-92-E697-F789

Valentina Shevchenko vs Katlyn Chookagian - This feels like a total showcase fight for Val but it’s these fights you have to be careful with. Chookagian doesn’t blow anyone away and her style isn’t all that pretty or exciting to watch but she’s effective and she can be awkward. And like with Jones, if Shevchenko is looking past this fight and thinking about superfights with Zhang or Nunes or whoever, Chookagian could be a banana skin. Problem is, I don’t think Shev looks past anyone, ever. She’s in her physical prime right now and mentally she seems unshakeable. You listen to her talk and she’s so dialled in and focused, even for this which is essentially supposed to be a tick-over routine title defence. I think she has Chookagian beat everywhere. 

I’ll go Shevchenko on points. It has the potential to be a bit of a snoozer. That’s the last thing Shevchenko needs coming off that dull fight with Liz Carmouche but Chookagian has that awkward style and likes to keep her distance so I could see this being a bit of a frustrating watch. Hopefully Shev can hunt her down and do her thing though. I think Shev wins either way. I think it just depends whether Chookagian comes to win or survive which will determine what kind of fight it is. You listen to the way these two have been talking this week and it’s night and day. Chookagian just seems happy to be there. She’s all “This is just part of my life, it doesn’t define me. With the title or not, my life is so happy.” Then you go to a Shevchenko interview and she’s going “I never stop. It’s my mindset. I do everything to be the best. I’m here for the victory, nothing else”. Shev has zero chill. Her idea of relaxing is going to a gun range and destroying things. She might as well have said “If she dies, she dies.”

F8-A4-B36-E-A7-B6-4-E6-F-9236-33-E9-D45-

Juan Adams vs Justin Tafa - Can’t say I’m particularly bothered about this but it could be a fun Heavyweight slobberknocker. I like Adams. I like his personality and he can be fun on social media. It hasn’t worked out well for him so far in the UFC though. Him losing to Greg Hardy was one of the most disappointing results of 2019 for me. He needs a win badly here. Tafa is a banger so this could be short and sweet either way.

Adams by TKO. 50/50 really and I could just as easily see Tafa chinning him. But Adams at least has that wrestling background and I think he’ll be looking to use it here. He’d be an idiot to just stand and trade and risk going 0-3 in the UFC. I see him going the wrestling route and getting a ground and pound stoppage somewhere along the line.

AB9-B2741-3-FEC-49-A0-9-DC4-F4516-A16-EB

Mirsad Bektic vs Dan Ige - A fight nobody is talking about but I’ve got a good feeling about this one. Both are aggressive, both tough, both decent finishers. And I might be wrong but I don’t recall either being on a PPV main card before so that’s extra motivation to make a statement. 

Ige by decision. I could see it going either way really but Ige’s on better form at the moment and he’s been a bit more active over the last year or so. Could see this being FOTN.

DBF0-A2-AD-B417-48-B3-AD1-F-039235-D30-C

Derrick Lewis vs Ilir Latifi - Kicking the main card off with a bang. I really like this. Only problem I have is I don’t want either of them to lose. Still not sure about this Heavyweight move for Latifi. He’s a tank for sure but he’s going to be so short in that division. As the pic above shows. And Lewis isn’t even the tallest Heavyweight. Imagine how hilarious a Volkov or Struve vs Latifi fight would look? Actually, sod the fight. The weigh in staredown alone would be ridiculous.

I’ll have Lewis by KO. As much as I’ve got my doubts about Heavyweight Latifi, Ebb did raise a good point before. While I don’t fancy his chances of doing well in the division, Lewis might actually not be such a bad matchup style-wise due to the wrestling. I could see Latifi winning if he goes all out with the takedowns. I don’t know though. I just see Lewis clobbering him at some point. And for a guy who’s been stopped a few times at 205, I don’t see him holding up well against the power of the Black Beast. 

Full predictions then;

Jon Jones by Decision.

Valentina Shevchenko by Decision.

Juan Adams by KO/TKO.

Dan Ige by Decision. 

Derrick Lewis by KO/TKO. 

James Krause by Submission via the late replacement curse.

Alex Morono by Decision.

Andrea Lee by Decision.

Miles Johns by KO/TKO.

Domingo Pilarte by Decision.

Andre Ewell by Decision.

Austin Lingo by KO/TKO.

Edited by wandshogun09