Cyborg vs The UFC

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Seems like this isn’t going away anytime soon and seeing as the discussion in the Minor News thread has moved on (and this was never minor news to begin with), I thought we might as well have a place to discuss all this shite. 

Dana was asked at the Contender Series last night about the whole Cyborg situation. He’s still being a cock; 

Even after Cyborg already apologised for the edited video, he can’t let it drop and just say to the media ‘Listen, it’s done. We let her out of her contract, she apologised for the video, it’s over.’ He’s got to keep trashing her. After initially just saying ‘Thank you Cris’ when she apologised, he’s back to being a dick. 

610-F79-BC-324-B-4484-A921-5-D3810694-A1

BAD7-ACC8-BB0-F-4371-95-D8-97-E03-C6-C62

I also love how the UFC/Dana arselickers and defenders are all over this edited video thing now as if a) Dana’s never done anything shady himself, b) Dana was innocent in this Cyborg thing and an edited video is worse than the vile comments he’s made about her over the years, and c) as if this edited video somehow proves Cyborg was scared of Nunes. 

The edited video was the worst thing Team Cyborg could’ve done. Up until that point they were already winning this battle. There was no need to pull underhanded tactics like that. Dana was making himself look terrible all on his own and Cyborg was getting nothing but positive press. All that video did was give Dana something to latch onto to play the victim and use against Cyborg in the media. 

It’s a mess. Thankfully, Cyborg’s out of that environment now but Dana will keep slagging her off to try to diminish her value wherever else she goes. I’ve already seen reports that both Scott Coker and Chatri Sityodtong have expressed interest in signing Cyborg to Bellator and ONE respectively. So that’s the two biggest non-UFC promoters already up for doing business. No doubt Rizin would pay a pretty penny to get her on their New Years show as well. She’ll be fine. And Dana will continue being Dana. 

It's insane. What Dana is actually doing now is framing the argument to look as though she doctored the video to make it look like she wanted to fight Nunes when she really didn't, which isn't true.

He's an absolute cunt of a man, and he's borrowing tactics from his friend the President here where you seize upon a distraction to take away from the original story (which is his "Wanderlei in a dress" comments)

24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i dunno if ive missed something but what exactly was the issue between Cyborg/Dana prior to the last show?

What? There's been issues between Cyborg and Dana forever. This was raging on before she signed with the company in 2015. In fact, I'm sure you were involved in a few discussions on the matter we had on here years ago!

• Paid Members

i cant recall the details.

but since she's joined the UFC? they basically created a division for her. She headlined 3 shows (including 2 PPV's) and co-headlined the rest. Is the only issue that she wasnt given an instant rematch with Amanda Nunes?

• Paid Members

I think the main issue was him saying she looked like Wanderlei in a dress and Cyborg’s daughter getting bullied at school for it. 

But they’ve probably been butting heads backstage for years. There was the Ronda thing years ago. Obviously we know which side Dana was on there. That led to the whole weight thing where they wanted her to get down to 135. I don’t know how much Tito is still involved with Cyborg’s career but that association can’t have helped matters. Then after the Nunes loss, Dana was initially talking like Cyborg didn’t deserve the rematch and saying he wasn’t interested in doing it. Which is funny considering the narrative he’s pushing now that he’s moved heaven and earth trying to get it made. It’s also funny how she didn’t deserve an immediate rematch yet Ronda got KO’d by Holm, took a year off sulking and learning how to chew apples again and walked straight back into a title shot against Nunes. And she not only got the shot at Nunes, she got a pass to do no media leading into it. Which nobody else has ever got. Even when Conor McGregor was moaning about having to do too much media, he never got a pass like Ronda did.

Now this latest shitstorm came up because they were negotiating a new contract and Dana’s trying to damage her on the way out. Even the releasing her from her contract thing, while I completely understand why they did it, the relationship was toxic and better off being brought to an end, I think part of it for Dana was also that cutting her loose limits her value in free agency. There was (I think) a 3 month period left in her contract and that’s where she’d have leveraged a UFC offer vs a Bellator or ONE or GLORY or whoever’s offer. By letting her go was also a way to limit her value outside the UFC. I think the edited video thing was used as a smokescreen for this. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I watched the video last week and sensed something was awry. It was difficult to match the subtitles at the end of the video to Dana's words. In particular the comment "“and listen whenever you hear me saying stuff, I’m not saying …the truth.” At the time, I attributed it to poor audio quality. Obviously, that wasn't the case as the unedited footage shows. It's a shame, because as others have said, Cyborg's team didn't have to edit the video. They already had the moral high-ground. 

As for Dana, he's not as bad as some of his "rivals", such as Sakakibara and arguably Bjorn Rebney, but he's still a complete tosser. I've long said that I only watch UFC shows for the fighters. These days, with the promotion's main fighters mostly comprising of dickheads, albeit very talented dickheads, I only watch for the actual fights. I don't like the actual promotion, most of the people central to it, its bloated schedule, how they present the sport, etc.

I can't argue with how successful they have been. From a business perspective, they have a done a far better job than any other MMA promotion, and it's possible I wouldn't have become a fan of the sport without their ascendancy in the mid-2000s. But I am ultimately a MMA fan, not a UFC fan. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

As for Dana, he's not as bad as some of his "rivals", such as Sakakibara

That's a really low bar, though. It shouldn't take much to be better than a fucking yakuza.

I'd really like to see Bellator and ONE get bigger. Nothing makes an arrogant shit like Dana White worse than a virtual monopoly like he's had. In many respects, he's much more like the Vince McMahon of MMA than just being the boss of the biggest company. Absolute broken toilet of a man.

• Paid Members

Rogan and Schaub talking the Cyborg situation;

Schaub changes his tune more than a jukebox. I remember him chuckling along with Rogan and making dick jokes about Cyborg years ago. Then a year or so ago he got Cyborg and her boyfriend on his podcast and was all up there arses and slating Dana. Now he’s flipped again and is praising Dana and can’t seem to make up his tiny mind on whether he agrees with the treatment Cyborg has received or not. 

I’ll say this much though, Schaub was right when he was talking about the Cyborg vs Spencer fight. I was pleasantly surprised to see him actually disagreeing with Rogan there. 

• Paid Members

Rogan has shown himself to be an unpleasant little twat too during all this Cyborg stuff. I agree with wand, I was pleasantly surprised Schaub called Rogan out on his clear bias and bollocks announcing during that fight. "Cyborg is tired. Spencer is tough and taking it to her", while Cyborg smashes Spencer's face in for a full round.

I feel for Cyborg, but Dana was looking for a reason to ditch and Cyborg's team did something shady enough to get her a release.

It's probably best for all if they move on.

Edited by ColinBollocks

13 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I feel for Cyborg, but Dana was looking for a reason to ditch and Cyborg's team did something shady enough to get her a release.

Wasn't her contract up anyway? I thought the UFC just decided not to match any offer she gets from elsewhere?