MM@ Top Twitter

wandshogun09

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 9/17/2021 at 3:54 PM, Egg Shen said:

Is Strickland conciously putting on act though? its hard to tell. I think thats just how he is.

Whether it's an act or not doesn't really concern me. Just think, much like Colby, I want to be a fan based on fighting ability and style but the personality is nauseating.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:40 PM, Egg Shen said:

If Strickland keeps winning and keeps getting exposure, its gonna get messy.

He's not going to keep winning though. Don't get me wrong, he's an entertaining watch, but he doesn't have the fighting style to burn through opponents the way the likes of Covington and Usman do. 

He'll come undone when he's faced with top 5-7 fighters I think. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

but he doesn't have the fighting style to burn through opponents the way the likes of Covington and Usman do. 

Strickland is a Middleweight.

He's #7 in the division, Rockhold is unranked but beating him will elevate him. Given the state of Middleweight, if Strickland wins next and then fights and beats one top 5 opponent theres a pretty good chance he'll get a shot at Izzy.

22 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Strickland is a Middleweight.

He's #7 in the division, Rockhold is unranked but beating him will elevate him. Given the state of Middleweight, if Strickland wins next and then fights and beats one top 5 opponent theres a pretty good chance he'll get a shot at Izzy.

I know that, I'm not talking about him being in the same division as Covington or Usman, I'm talking about the style of fighter. Usman and Covington have that unique style that tends to give guys a better chance of winning. Decent on the feet, but mostly known for their energy and sheer pressure, and top notch grappling skills. 

Strickland is tough, and he keeps walking forward, but a halfway decent grappler will outpoint him. In the past few years he's not really beaten anyone of note, has he? Nordine Taleb? Jack Marshman? Brendan Allen? Krzysztof Jotko? Uriah Hall? All decent fighters, but not anywhere near the top of the division.

Sling him in there with someone like Kelvin Gastelum, Jack Hermansson, Marvin Vettori or a Derek Brunson. That would be a good gauge of where he's at. And that's before we start looking at the Cannoniers, Costa's, Whittakers and Izzy's of the division.

You're right though, he could get a title shot in two fights, but that wouldn't constitute him keeping on winning. That just tells you how much of the division Izzy has sent packing. He hasn't got a style that suggests he can go on a four or five fight winning streak, in my opinion anyway.