UFC Greenville: Moicano vs Zombie - Jun 22 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 22nd June in Greenville, South Carolina for this ā€˜un...

F9-BA3210-1-CBD-488-F-B90-A-FC5-AAD77031

ESPN+Ā MAIN CARD
Renato Moicano vs Chan Sung JungĀ 

Bryan Barberena vs Randy Brown

Andre Ewell vs Anderson Dos SantosĀ 

Montana De La Rosa vs Andrea LeeĀ 

Alessio Di Chirico vs Kevin HollandĀ 

Ā 

ESPN 2Ā PRELIMS
Dan Ige vs Kevin AguilarĀ 

Syuri Kondo vs Ashley Yoder

Matt Wiman vs Luis PenaĀ 

Allen Crowder vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Molly McCann vs Ariane LipskiĀ 

Deron Winn vs Eric Spicely

Ā 

Not the strongest of cards but worth a look for the main event. Undercard looks a bit thin but thereā€™s a few bits of interest for me. Itā€™ll do.Ā 

Ā 

FA1-BC8-DE-21-E2-4043-996-D-67-D7-BD92-E

Renato Moicano vs Korean Zombie should be a heck of a scrap. Donā€™t think the Zombie is capable of having a dud and Moicano has proven to be a bit of a handful himself. Heā€™s 13-2-1 in his MMA career. 5-2 in the UFC with the only losses coming to Jose Aldo and Brian Ortega. No shame there. He was winning the Ortega fight as well before getting caught in a choke late in the fight. Heā€™s beat Cub Swanson, Jeremy Stephens, Zubaira Tukhugov and Calvin Kattar. Heā€™s good. Very good. But he needs to rebound offĀ that AldoĀ loss here. A win over the KZ would be a great way to do that. Zombie will be looking to bounce back in style as well though. Heā€™s coming off that mad knockout loss to Yair Rodriguez in the last second of the last round of a fight he was probably winning if it went to the cards. It was a bad break for Jung. One second to go! So yeah, I like this fight a lot. Style-wise and the timing of it. I donā€™t want to jinx it but itĀ just feels like a fight thatā€™sĀ got all the ingredients to deliver a real FOTY contender.Ā 

Ā 

3-E8-D0476-E9-B9-4237-931-C-6-E54-B35574

Bryan Barberena vs Randy Brown could be good. Barberena is coming off that batshit war against Vicente Luque in February. Aside from Adesanya vs Gastelum, thatā€™s probably the FOTY so far in 2019. If you havenā€™t seen it yet,Ā get it watched. Aside from that heā€™s best known as the man who handed Sage Northcutt his first loss. Heā€™s also gone to decision lossesĀ with Colby Covington and Leon Edwards. So despite coming up short,Ā heā€™s mixed at a pretty high level. Brown is 10-3 and ended a hype train himself when he gaveĀ Mickey Gall his first defeat. Donā€™t know much about him but heā€™s looked decent, albeitĀ hit and miss to me. I mostly remember him for getting KOā€™d by Niko Price with hammerfists from the bottom.Ā 

Ā 

E2-DEC24-F-BA6-E-4-B03-9974-1-F66219-BA0

Montana De La Rosa vs Andrea Lee Iā€™m neither here nor there on really. De La Rosaā€™s not a bad little fighter. Sheā€™s 10-4 with 3 submission wins in the UFC so far. Still 24 years old as well so thereā€™s some upside there. Lee Iā€™ve seen less of but sheā€™s 10-2 and has won her last 6. Vaguely recall her boxing looking decent against Ashlee-Evans Smith last time out. But then I donā€™t really rate Evans-Smith so fuck knows. Could be alright.Ā 

Ā 

4-A51-D483-2555-48-E8-94-BB-AF31692-B816

Alessio Di Chirico vs Kevin Holland should be worth a watch.Ā Quite like what Iā€™ve seen of Chirico. Admittedly itā€™s not much but heā€™s looked pretty good the few times Iā€™ve seen him. Just hasnā€™t been as active as heā€™d probably like. Won his last coupleĀ though, including a highlight reel knee KO over Oluwale Bamgbose. Holland is 14-4, 26 yearsĀ old and got on the radar through Dana Whiteā€™s Contender Series. He lost but managed to go the distance against Thiago Santos in his UFC debut last August and has won hisĀ 2 fights since. Looking forward to this. The company seem quite high on Holland and Chirico should provide aĀ good barometer for us to see what heā€™s really got.Ā 

Ā 

9845-C5-F9-1762-4699-A9-D8-9-BD773-AD447

Syuri Kondo vs Ashley Yoder is a bit of a curious choice as a main card opener for me. This screams ā€˜early prelimsā€™ to meĀ but whatever. I like Kondo purely because sheĀ was a pro wrestler and was trained by Tajiri. But she hasnā€™t looked too good in the UFC. Sheā€™s 6-2 and lost her last 2 in a row. Yoderā€™s been even less impressive though. 6-4 overall, 1-3 in the UFC. Got the feel of a ā€˜loser leavesā€™ fight. Which makes it all the more of a head scratcher why itā€™s on the main card.Ā 

Ā 

C2-CFE398-BD79-4-AEC-93-F3-3-B88-B5-AB9-

Outside of the mainĀ event, Iā€™d say Dan Ige vs Kevin Aguilar might well be the frontrunner toĀ steal the show. On paper this should be a veryĀ entertaining fight. From the little Iā€™ve seen of these two they both bring it. Igeā€™s 11-2 and has won his last 3 fights,Ā 2 of them in around a minute. He doesnā€™t fuck about. Aguilar is 16-1, has won 9 in a row and had a real hidden gem of a war against Rick Glenn in the UFC late last year. Expecting a bit of a chaotic scrap here.Ā 

Ā 

80016-C19-4-CA0-442-E-A214-73657025-CF46

Matt Wiman vs Luis Pena is another fun sounding fight.Ā We havenā€™t seen Wiman for ages. He last fought in November 2014. Heā€™s won 3 of his last 4 but thatā€™s pretty meaningless now due to this 4+ yearĀ layoff. Reading up on it a bit, he had a back injury in 2015 so maybe thatā€™s the reason heā€™s been gone so long. Pena is 6-1 and at 6ā€™3ā€ is a huge lightweight. Havenā€™t been massively impressed with him so far but heā€™s alright. Wimanā€™s inactivity is the x-factor in this one.Ā 

Ā 

65-BE9-FDB-7212-4-C2-D-8542-5329-A266781

Allen Crowder vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik is the heavyweight offeringĀ on this one. Could be ugly. Crowder is 9-3 and most recently had that shite and controversial fight with Greg Hardy, which he won by disqualification due to Hardyā€™s illegal knee. Rozenstruik is unbeaten at 7-0 and stopped Junior Albini in his UFC debut. Heā€™s got an extensive Kickboxing background as well, 80-odd fights and a bunch of titles to his name. Could be decent but he didnā€™t look the best even in victory against Albini and his grappling especially looked suspect. Weā€™ll see. Could be fun to watch against the bangers of the division.Ā 

Ā 

EAA3-F48-B-2-F98-4559-9928-7907-CFBC2621

Molly McCann vs Ariane Lipski could be alright. As you can see fromĀ the photo Iā€™ve used there, McCannā€™s last fight wasnā€™t exactly plain sailing. She beat Priscila Cachoeia on points but got her eye well and truly fucked up in the process. Sheā€™s 8-2 now, former Cage Warriors champ. Lipski is Brazilian, former KSW champion,Ā 11-4 and coming off a loss to Joanne Calderwood in her UFC debut.Ā 

Ā 

4357-EAC4-A987-451-B-ABF5-77-BBF76-B881-

Deron Winn vs Bruno Silva isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH*** for this one. Hopefully it makes TV. Itā€™ll beĀ worth checking out purely to see Winnā€™s debut.Ā Heā€™s a 3 time All-American wrestler, heā€™sĀ Daniel Cormierā€™s protĆ©gĆ©, is coached by former UFC fighter and Olympic gold medalist Kevin Jackson and heā€™s undefeated at 5-0 so far in his MMA career. He beat Tom Lawlor on that Golden Boy MMA show a few months ago but nobody really took any noticeĀ because they were tooĀ busy trying toĀ washĀ the sour taste of Tito vs Chuck 3 out of their mouths. Heā€™s not getting any easy opponents by the looks of it. Bruno Silva is also making his Octagon debut but heā€™s 19-6 with 16 TKOs, including a first round stoppage of Alexander Shlemenko last June. Looking forward to this. Itā€™s rare that you get 2 guys making their debuts in such an interesting matchup.Ā 

Ā 

B9-E090-F2-C16-C-44-B5-B6-C3-1-EE02-D8-F

Andre Ewell vs Anderson Dos Santos jerks the curtain. Ewell is 14-5. Most notably beat Renan Barao in his UFC debut but got submitted by Nathaniel Wood in his next fight. Dos Santos is 20-7 and I canā€™tĀ recall ever seeing him fight before. If I have it mustā€™ve been forgettable. Zero recollection.Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s your lot.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Surprised Deron Winn is buried down the card, hes a guy coming in with some legitmate buzz, hes talking a good game too. He was the only bright spot on that horrid Golden Boy show. Hes dropping to 185 too, he looked tiny at 205.

• Paid Members

Yeah that confused me a bit. Iā€™m hoping they shuffle things up andĀ Winn vs Silva gets bumped up to the main card. Iā€™d sackĀ Kondo vs Yoder off down to the prelims and have Winnā€™s fight as the main card opener.Ā 

• Paid Members

This card just got a bit better.Ā 

The UFC Brazil twitter account confirmed that Cody Stamann is off this show injured. JOHN ā€˜HANDS OF STONEā€™ LINEKER replaces him and will now rematch Rob Font.Ā 

Well happy with that. Lineker tweeted recently that he was getting frustrated at not getting fights and even went as far as saying they should release him. Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t. Pound-for-pound one of the most consistently entertaining fighters on the whole roster.Ā 

677018F5-E7A6-4315-8BAA-681FD7E26FBA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Who was the ref?

Blake Grice.Ā Not one of the more well known refs but heā€™s worked some big fights and main events. I know he reffed the Holloway vs Poirier fight in April anyway.Ā 

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Just watched the main event there, no chance it was a late stoppage. Moicano was moving and trying to defend himself until about 2 seconds before the ref jumped in.

Yeah I had zero problems with that stoppage. If thereā€™s been fuss over that then I donā€™t really get why. Watching it just now, it didnā€™t even enter my head that it was a late stoppage until I read the comments here and on TwitterĀ and stuff.

MoicanoĀ got fucking cracked and droppedĀ with the initial punch but was conscious and kept moving, then KZ took his back and he was trying to escape, ate some shots, then ate some more and thatā€™s when the ref intervened. Iā€™d say the ref stopped it at just the right time. If heā€™d jumped in sooner while Moicano was actively trying to improve position then I think that wouldā€™ve been premature and harsh. But he didnā€™t wait until Moicano got put out cold either like some refs would. As soon as it was clear Moicano wasnā€™t improving his position anymore or intelligentlyĀ defending himself, GriceĀ stopped it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the stoppage.Ā 

It was great to see the Zombie back to winning ways. Heā€™s had such a stop/start career and itā€™s been really frustrating at times as a fan of his, but thereā€™s never a dull moment with him is there? When Zombie is fighting, you can bet thereā€™ll be some craziness.Ā 

Enjoyed this card a lot actually.

Jairzinho Rozenstruik with the 9 second KO on Allen Crowder was good stuff.Ā 

Andre Ewell vs Anderson Dos Santos was an unexpected corker.

Ige vs Aguilar was another wild scrap.Ā 

Deron Winn got through his debut in a bit of a war with Eric Spicely. Itā€™s a shame really because this couldā€™ve been a tremendous ground battle but they decided to just swing dopey haymakers all night. Still fun to watch but it was clearly neither manā€™s strength. They got the FOTN bonus though so fuck my opinion.Ā 

Ashley Yoder has either levelled up her grappling or Kondo is getting worse.

Matt Wiman probably shouldā€™ve stayed wherever heā€™s been the last couple of years. Itā€™s harsh to say but heā€™sĀ a yesterday fighter whoā€™s not going to hang with the younger breed of today.Ā 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Mattļ»æ Wiman probably shouldā€™ve stayed wherever heā€™s been the last couple of years. Itā€™s harsh to say but heā€™sĀ aļ»æ yesterday fighter whoā€™s not going to hang withļ»æ the younger breed of today

Yeah, Pena was respectful to Wiman in his post fight promo but really Wiman was never in this one. It was a showcase for Pena against a fighter who will add a bit of a name to a resume for a fighter on the rise.Ā 

I thought that was an impressive debut for Winn. Considering the amount of late notice opponent changes he has had, to go out there and completely out work Spicely on his promotional debut, while giving up so much size, was a boost. He showed he's packing some power and has quick hands. It didn't look a well rounded striking game, but at this stage I wouldn't expect it. Very good wrestling, power and good hand speed will get him somewhere in this division. By the time he's fighting the top level guys he will either have brought the other areas of his game up to speed, or he won't. But for now Winn showed enough that he'll probably win most fights against this level of opponent.Ā 

Rosenstruik with a KO so fast that I didn't know what happened (I was skipping past a lot of the intros) I had to rewind to see the whole fight. You can't ask for more than that when trying to climb the ladder at HW.Ā 

I was absolutely delighted for Zombie. By the time I was about to watch I had it in my head that he was definitely losing this fight, probably another war, and that he would get stopped as he's be unable to take as much damage after the amount of war's he had been in. It was kind of how I felt about Justin Gaethje heading into the James Vick fight. Then both men made me look like an idiot and show why we all love them so much. Scree trying to guess what's going to happen in a Zombie fight, just soak it all in. I don't care who he fights next, I'm for it no matter what.Ā 

• Paid Members

At 145 thereā€™s not many fights that would get my nipples harder than Zombie vs Zabit right now. And since you mention him there,Ā Zombie vs Gaethje at 155 or somewhere in between would be a level of insanity Iā€™m not sure any of us could handle.Ā