SPAIN HAS FUCKING TELETEXT!

Gus Mears

7 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Merica Cathedral has some great examples of stone faces saying' U WOT M8?'

Not sure if you mean Mérida there, or Murcia. 'Murica of course has its cathedrals but they haven't got nearly as much architectural history.

Anyway, on topic, one of the first things I did when I got Sky was check Eurosport teletext to check how Serie B and the 2. Bundesliga were getting on. I wouldn't get online at home for almost another 2 years so I found that window into other countries' lower leagues fascinating. The next most popular sports seemed to be volleyball and handball, which was quite the contrast from the Beeb's offering of cricket and rugby. 

Sadly Germany wasn't able to return the favour. At the start of the 2001-02 season, I was visiting Nuremberg one Saturday and saw fans filing out of the stadium in the distance, from my vantage point of the old Nazi rallying grounds. I wondered how they'd got on, and then asked myself "hang on, how did my team get on"? My aunt's then-partner said I could check Bildschirmstext once we returned to his place, so I did and lo and behold... only the Premier League results were listed under 'Englische Liga'. Fortunately when I landed back home I found my Dad had hooked the PC to a dial-up modem and so I rarely needed to use teletext after that. 

More recently I definitely recall looking at both Belgian and Spanish teletext while studying there for old time's sake just before Ceefax was permanently shut off over here. The internet was so slow in my flat in Galicia that sometimes it was still quicker to search out information on the TV. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Not sure if you mean Mérida there, or Murcia. 

Ha, I had exactly the same thought. I hope it's Mérida. Extremadura is a criminally under-appreciated region and Mérida is gorgeous. I used to live in Cáceres just up the road and it was such a lovely place. Excellent food too with all that Jamón Iberico. No shade on Murcia which I'm sure is lovely too but I've yet to visit that part of Spain, although I have seen their football team play San Fernando while I was visiting Cádiz like the football anorak I am. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Ha, I had exactly the same thought. I hope it's Mérida. Extremadura is a criminally under-appreciated region and Mérida is gorgeous. I used to live in Cáceres just up the road and it was such a lovely place. Excellent food too with all that Jamón Iberico. No shade on Murcia which I'm sure is lovely too but I've yet to visit that part of Spain, although I have seen their football team play San Fernando while I was visiting Cádiz like the football anorak I am. 

I've mentioned it on the Recipes On YouTube thread, but the channel Spain On A Fork is brilliant if you want to make Spanish food at home (assuming you're not already making it). Obviously no recipes for jamón (muthafucka), but plenty of stuff on potajes, fish stews, omelettes, bean dishes, gazpachos and whatnot.