The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

I hope this is legit.

Never even considered this matchup, which really speaks to how loaded 145 is at the top end. So many possibilities. Obviously, this means Dana’s backed off on the Volkanovski vs Holloway 3 talk for now. I’m happy about that. The rematch was close but Volk is 2-0 now. A third fight seems unnecessary right now. I’m as big a Holloway fan as anyone but you can’t just keep rematching them forever until you get the result you want. Guessing Volk will fight Zabit or Zombie now. Zabit’s really been pushing for a title shot since the Yair fight fell apart.

Edit - probably a load of bollocks unfortunately. A quick glance at the guy’s twitter and he’s retweeting Trump and shit about R Kelly and all sorts.

That’ll teach me to get excited way too soon. Actually my wife tells me that quite often as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Honestly, forget Paige VanZant and Valerie Loureda, this lot right here are the biggest set of cock teasers in MMA.

86-C9562-A-2312-4909-A9-B0-2-C191-FF3516

Zabit, Yair, Zombie, Ortega. I know it’s almost blasphemy to combat sports fans but I genuinely feel like they could rival Boxing’s ‘Fabulous Four’ of the 80s - Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran. IF they’d all actually make it to the cage to fight one another that is. And this isn’t even including the champ Volkanovski or Holloway or Kattar or Barboza and so on. It’s a ridiculous division. I honestly think 145 is nipping at the heels of 155 now in terms of depth and quality. But I’d happily just watch these four all fight each other in various combinations over the next few years. Any way you mix and match this lot sounds like as close to a nailed on FOTY as it gets. We’ve had one fight out of it, Yair vs Zombie a couple of years back. And look how that fucker turned out. I think there’s a lot more of that craziness to come if they all start mixing it up. For now, I just really want this Zabit vs Yair fight to happen. And I really feel like Zombie vs Ortega needs to happen as well after all the back and forth and Ortega slapping Zombie’s translator that time. They’ve danced around getting that fight on long enough now. I think I want to see Zabit-Yair and Zombie-Ortega about as much as any fight in MMA right now. To the point I think I’d actually be fine with Volk vs Max 3 next (even though I think it’s not necessary) just so we can crack on with those two fights. 

• Paid Members

I know it’s foolish to get excited about any card these days but if UFC 254 stays looking like this...

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje 

Zabit Magomedsharipov vs Yair Rodriguez 

Robert Whittaker vs Jared Cannonier 

Islam Makhachev vs Charles Oliveira

Alexander Volkov vs Walt Harris 

ABAC8DF6-1129-48E3-A180-E05B3CB7577C.gif

• Paid Members
On 8/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Honestly, forget Paige VanZant and Valerie Loureda, this lot right here are the biggest set of cock teasers in MMA.

86-C9562-A-2312-4909-A9-B0-2-C191-FF3516

And I really feel like Zombie vs Ortega needs to happen as well after all the back and forth and Ortega slapping Zombie’s translator that time. They’ve danced around getting that fight on long enough now. I think I want to see Zabit-Yair and Zombie-Ortega about as much as any fight in MMA right now. To the point I think I’d actually be fine with Volk vs Max 3 next (even though I think it’s not necessary) just so we can crack on with those two fights. 

Well...

So that’s Zabit vs Yair and Zombie vs Ortega both been made official this week. I should be ecstatic but let’s see what reason they can create to cancel these fights again.

• Paid Members

This surely means Jones’ next fight is going to be at Heavyweight, right? I was sure that if he came back in a fight at 205 it’d be against one of these two, most likely the Reyes rematch. Dana even said as much last week, that if Jones returned at 205, he’d have to give Reyes another shot. Matching Reyes and Blachowicz up against each other now can only mean that either Jones isn’t coming back anytime soon or he’s taking a fight at HW. Is Jones going to leapfrog Ngannou for the title shot, do we reckon? The timing of this fight being booked just days after Stipe vs DC 3, and especially after Jones’ tweets over the weekend on that, makes me think something is brewing here in regards to Miocic vs Jones. I’m all for it, to be honest. No question Ngannou’s earned another crack at the belt, it’d suck for him, but the intrigue of Jones at Heavyweight going up and facing the GOAT would be something special.

Edit - “the stakes are being worked out” surely means they’re thinking interim title as well. More fuel to the Jones to HW talk. 

Edited by wandshogun09

12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

No question Ngannou’s earned another crack at the belt, it’d suck for him, but the intrigue of Jones at Heavyweight going up and facing the GOAT would be something special.

When did the UFC sign Fedor? ;)

Jones moving up to heavyweight seems too good to be true. I won't believe it until it happens. 

If it does happen, perhaps they will book Jones vs Ngannou for October/November, then have the winner fight Miocic early next year? If Jones loses, he can just move back down and face the winner of Reyes and Blachowicz.