The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

All of this is either confirmed or “in the works” for UFC 254 in October. Ferguson vs Poirier and Zabit vs Yair aren’t official yet but they’re being targeted for this card from what I can tell.

765-F78-A8-37-E8-4610-A7-D2-61016-DD2-FC

Can you fucking imagine?

Now I’m off to have a cry that half of this is going to be wiped out by COVID/injuries, some no doubt on the very day of the show.

To be honest, as incredible as this would be as one card, I highly doubt it’ll all be on the same show. That’s 5 main events right there and Ferguson vs Poirier and Zabit vs Yair in particular need to be 5 rounders. I won’t complain if they do all end up on 254 but it seems wrong those fights being 3 rounds opening or midcarding a PPV. 

• Paid Members

That would be an absolute beast of a show. An all time, on paper, top five type of card. Whilst I see what you mean Wand about the amount of main events you could get out of splitting them up, I think it makes perfect sense to have Poirier Vs Ferguson on the undercard of Khabib Vs Gaethje. 

If Nurmagomedov drops out, Dustin the diamond pops in to fight Gaethje for the interim belt in a re-match. Should Gaethje drop out, then you finally get Khabib Vs Ferguson for the belt. 

If Poirier or Ferguson don't make it? Promote RDA or Makhachev into the spot or else re-schedule it. 

Let's face it, at least two of these fights aren't going to happen, at least not on this show. So at the very worst we're still going to be left with a 2-3 punch combo that really caps off a top level show. 

The worst outcome would be if three fighters from those ten don't make it, but the three happen to be from the group of Khabib, Gaethje, Poirier and Ferguson. That would be ultimate cock tease material. 

• Paid Members

Definitely makes sense from a potential substitute POV and no doubt that’s what they’re thinking. I’m just being greedy and want 5 rounds. Same with Zabit vs Yair. Just feels like those two could be FOTY candidates and, although they mightn’t even need 5 rounds, shaving them down to 3 could rob us of something special. Like imagine if Henderson vs Shogun 1 was 3 rounds? It’s just a one way traffic 30-27 for Hendo instead of the stone cold classic Shogun’s late surge turned it into. Or Yair vs Zombie. If that was 3 rounds it’d have been a good fight and a clear win for Zombie instead of the great fight it developed into and we’d never have seen arguably the greatest KO in UFC history at 4:59 of the 5th. Lawler vs Rory 2? The first couple of rounds of that were fairly uneventful. The fight was just heating up in the 3rd round. It’d be forgotten now if it ended after the 3rd. I could go on and on.

You never know how fights are going to play out but Fergie-Dustin and Zabit-Yair just have that feel of something crazy going down. If you’re doing those fights, go all the way with it. Booking those fights as 3 rounders would be like somehow charming Valerie Loureda into spending the night with you but all you do is play Connect 4 and watch Coronation Street. A nice enough way to spend an evening, I’m sure, but the most wasn’t made of such an opportunity and you don’t deserve anything good to happen to you ever again.   

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Don’t know who this guy is but he’s followed by a few MMA media people so...

FD10D4FC-25B5-47EF-9526-33DC6C7599D0.jpeg

Hopefully it is actually happening but preferably over 5 rounds on another card.

Read that Dustin Poirier’s saying he’s still not been offered the Tony Ferguson fight for 254 yet either but he’s “ready when it comes”. That needs sorting out pronto. Yesterday. 254 is next month, for fuck’s sake. Khabib vs Gaethje...NEXT MONTH!

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It’s the worst kept secret ever that he’s probably UFC bound at this point, isn’t it. Still some fun fights to be made but I’m not massively arsed anymore. If he’d come in 4 or 5 years ago, different story. 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It’s the worst kept secret ever that he’s probably UFC bound at this point, isn’t it. 

Up until today, there were still some who believed he might stay with Bellator or perhaps even go elsewhere. 

He's massive for his weightclass, but I can't see him troubling the top UFC lightweights.

• Paid Members

That Fight Night on 3rd October, I hope they’re not sticking with Holly Holm vs Irene Aldana as the main event. I know they’ve just moved Santos vs Teixeira to that show so you’d assume that’ll headline now. But even before...fucking Charles Oliveira vs Beneil Dariush is on that card. A certified banger and it was going to be underneath that Holm pish. I’m convinced Oliveira could go 20-0 in his next 20 and still only just scrape his way into a PPV opener. 

• Paid Members

The UFC are thinking about doing Demian Maia vs Khamzat Chimaev;

Say what you want about Maia being old or nearly retired or whatever but that’s a test for Chimaev on paper early into his UFC run. Anyone with a grappling heavy approach is in jeopardy against Maia, obviously. So we’ll either see just how good Chimaev is on the ground or we see more of what his standup looks like. I’m not always in love with these old vs new clashes but I do quite like this.