The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Doesn’t he usually have digs at MMA or am I thinking of another journalist?

We won’t see much of it anyway will we? I barely clapped eyes on Helwani when he joined ESPN.

Edit - that Sean Brady vs Kevin Lee fight is back on for August.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

All for that. Great fight and I really like that it’s headlining. They both deserve the spotlight after their last fights. On the subject of Giga, he tweeted this recently;

8-A476-BFD-CAE8-4-BAC-AAF6-267434-A9-E37

Obviously this is wildly optimistic. It’s not gonna happen. The brief talk of getting the fight in July vs Yair has already fizzled so that’s out. He’s on track for Barboza now in August though which is cool. The likes of Holloway and the title shot are a bit of a way off still but if he gets by Barboza (and that’s definitely not an easy task), I’d be well up for those Zombie or Kattar fights. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah never hurts to get people talking about these potential fights or getting one of these names to bite, have a little back and forth and create some interest. 

Exactly, in a day and age when theres so many fights, its just mental that 99% of the roster still the 'i'll fight whoever they put in front of me' line. First off, they tee you up straight after winning a fight to call out a name, plus you have social media at your fingertips, you have to utilise it. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Exactly, in a day and age when theres so many fights, its just mental that 99% of the roster still the 'i'll fight whoever they put in front of me' line. First off, they tee you up straight after winning a fight to call out a name, plus you have social media at your fingertips, you have to utilise it. 

A lot of fighters can't be fucked with that though, which is understandable. If someone just wants to go in, punch the clock, fight who they get matched with and then head home to relative obscurity that's their choice.

It would be a bit daft anyway if every single winner of a fight was calling folk out and creating fake beefs etc.

• Paid Members

Doesn’t necessarily have to be beef though. Could just be a fighter calling out a name they want to fight next because of their ranking or their style makes for a good fight or whatever. I can’t be arsed with fake beef myself but there’s definitely a benefit to a fighter having a name or two in mind for the post-fight interview. Why not throw names out there who you think you can beat and advance your career/ranking etc. At the same time, that’s not for absolutely everyone. Like you say, some guys genuinely don’t seem to care who they fight.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, David said:

A lot of fighters can't be fucked with that though, which is understandable. If someone just wants to go in, punch the clock, fight who they get matched with and then head home to relative obscurity that's their choice.

It would be a bit daft anyway if every single winner of a fight was calling folk out and creating fake beefs etc.

Yeh its nothing to do with beef (though it can create it) its about calling for the fight you want next to progress up the rankings. If you are unranked, win big and call for a top #15 guy, chances are you'll get it. Don't call for it and you'll probably mill around the prelims fighting unranked guys for the next couple of years in fights no one gives a toss about and your progression will be dramatically slower than if you just make a bit of noise.

Edited by Egg Shen