Brawl For All: 10 Years Earlier

wandshogun09

Brawl For All champ in 1988?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I know Brawl For All has pretty much been universally shat on as one of the worst concepts in wrestling history. And I get why for a bunch of reasons. The very idea of having shoot matches on a worked show is pretty stupid when you think about it. Plus, as the WWF found out with the Bart Gunn vs Dr Death thing, you can’t guarantee the outcome you want in a shoot. Hence the whole reason pro wrestling got so big in the first place, I guess - the ability to book the right results to build and plan long term matches that people will pay to see. 

Regardless, Brawl For All was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I’m sure every fan, once they realised what wrestling was, wondered at some point who was the hardest. So as wally-brained an idea as it was, I was into it. Yeah, the fights were mostly shite and it was all underneath guys but whatever. 

My question here is, what would a Brawl For All tournament have looked like if it came 10 years earlier? These days a decade in WWE doesn’t seem that much. Very little seems to change really in terms of talent or presentation. A decade back then though, 1988 WWF compared to 1998 WWF is like night and day.

So who’d have been in your 16 man bracket in 1988? Who’d have won the whole thing? Obviously the likes of Hogan, Warrior, Savage or Andre wouldn’t be involved. This would be strictly your Dino Bravo and Demolition Ax types. I guess it’s probably safe to assume Haku would’ve run the field, but would he? As we saw, Dr Death was supposed to dominate in 98 and look what happened. And in 88 you had the likes of Barbarian, Rick Rude, Paul Orndorff, Bad News etc on the roster. I’d definitely have had Dynamite Kid vs Jacques or Raymond Rougeau in the first round of the tournament. 

Doesn’t have to be 1988 if you don’t want, extend it to any era or even today’s roster if you like. Or talk about the one we got in 98. Should Bart have got a push instead of being fed to Butterbean? Was JR the biggest prick ever about it backstage because ‘his boy’ got KO’d? Would Stone Cold vs Dr Death have even interested you in 1998 if the results panned out as the office wanted? And how far do you reckon Steve Blackman would have gone if he never got injured? 

For what it’s worth here’s a few bits of interviews on the Brawl For All...

Bart Gunn on winning Brawl For All, Dr Death, Jim Ross etc;

Dr Death on losing to Bart, injuries, and his failed late 90s WWF run;

Bob Holly on Bart’s badassery and Blackman being legit;

Billy Gunn on Bart’s badassery and what he’s up to now; 

Yeah, Brawl For All was almost as bad as Shawn Michaels’ commentary but I can’t hate anything that still winds Jims Ross and Cornette up 20 years later and sees Bradshaw get sparked. 

• Moderators

Ray Rougeau was a Golden Gloves champ, so he'd have been worth a crafty fiver. Mind you the take down rule would probably most benefit someone like Bad News Brown with his Olympic Judo medal. Actually fuck it, Bad News Brown all the way. He's taking the trophy.

• Paid Members

Haku & Barbarian in the final. Then they start teaming off the back of it and have some ridiculous brawls with LOD. I know I voted for Haku, but only because he was the first name I saw and I could only have one vote. 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, you’d fancy Bad News to give most major problems. Just added a poll. Then realised Danny Spivey was on the roster in 88, which I have no recollection of. He’d be on the list as well. 

Dangerous Dan the Left Hand Man. I reckon he'd be the most likely to be your "Bart Gunn" KO artist.

• Paid Members
Just now, Astro Hollywood said:

Paul Roma would have been standing tall at the end atop a pile of corpses. According to Paul Roma, anyway.

What happens when he and Hercules end up having to fight? 

• Paid Members

I fear and respect Roma so much that I didn’t see the point adding him to the poll. Got to give the others a bit of a chance. 

Spivey would’ve been a perfect fit for something like this the more I think about it. I think lives really would’ve changed in Waylon Mercy’s hands if he’d entered. Adrian Adonis’ face did anyway, as the story goes. 

• Paid Members

I'd go Raymond or Bad News in a Brawl For All. But really, I'd have wanted this to be a early UFC style tournament, instead of a Brawl for All. Where referees were encouraged not to stop the fight. Fuck knows who would win that though.

Jim Ross must have been thick as fuck to think Doc was winning that tournament in 1998, though. His knees were completely shot and he was an older man. Imagine if a 38 year old pro wrestler with no record to speak of and loads of injuries tried his luck in legit fighting these days?

0911-cm-punk-injuries-after-fight-ufc-4.

• Paid Members

Most of the "hard case" reps are built on stories we'll never know if they're bollocks or not. So I voted for Rude on the basis he has the best bullshit story, which is, depending who tells it, (a) he knocked a guy out with a slap, (b) he knocked a guy out with his left because his right arm was in a sling, (c) both.

• Paid Members

The Keepin It 100 crew were asked who would have won a WCW Brawl for All back in the 90s a couple of weeks ago. Konnan voted that he'd seen enough with his own eyes to know that Haku would have won it, so i'll take Haku as well. Scott Norton, Booker T, Stevie Ray and The Steiners were also given honorable mentions.

Archived