Whooooosh

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I guess the issue with the BBC producing Youtube-like content for kids (which I agree, they should be doing) is whether their target audience would actually watch it if it wasn't on YouTube. 

And if the BBC put it all on YouTube, then anyone can watch it, for free and without needing the licence, and then you're into a whole other thing.

Also, they've been heavily pushing the iPlayer, so maybe they don't want to detract from that. Something also comes to mind about the BBC charter, too - they're not allowed to make anything that you'd have to pay for to be able to continue watching something you've been watching on licenced TV. Cases in point: In The Loop and the original Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies - it's why they changed character stories and names. So perhaps there's something in their charter about the other way round, not being allowed to use free services to push people to their licenced TV for them to continue watching? I reckon someone like @JNLister might know.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There is a commercial arm of the BBC through BBC worldwide. Regardless, I think they've got the ability to put their own stuff out in a digestible format. For me it's about the content. As great as their stuff is educationally, kids are clearly attracted to the brightness and zaniness of stuff they see on YouTube. Not all of their output should be like that, I'm just surprised they've not made a concerted effort to diversify more.

• Paid Members

I’m surprised they haven’t gone down a ‘shorts’ route. So BBC iPlayer features full length episodes of Hey Duggee, Tumble, Bing etc, but they pop short, educational, activities/songs from their main eventers, on to YouTube. Use it as an advert for iPlayer. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m surprised they haven’t gone down a ‘shorts’ route. So BBC iPlayer features full length episodes of Hey Duggee, Tumble, Bing etc, but they pop short, educational, activities/songs on from their main eventers YouTube. Use it as an advert for iPlayer. 

There's loads of stuff like that on YouTube. Hey Duggee, for instance, has it's own channel. You can buy full episodes or there are loads of best bits vids.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

There's loads of stuff like that on YouTube. Hey Duggee, for instance, has it's own channel. You can buy full episodes or there are loads of best bits vids.

I knew it was on there, but didn’t realise they’re official channels. Do BBC own those official channels then?

• Paid Members
Just now, Kaz Hayashi said:

I knew it was on there, but didn’t realise they’re official channels. Do BBC own those official channels then?

Not necessarily. Depends whether its in-house content. A lot isn't these days. They do have loads of their own channels though with bits from their shows. Same on Facebook. Always bits of Mock the week popping up.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Not necessarily. Depends whether its in-house content. A lot isn't these days. They do have loads of their own channels though with bits from their shows. Same on Facebook. Always bits of Mock the week popping up.

Ahh that’s the thing, I thought Duggee, Tumble & Bing were BBC produced and owned. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Also, they've been heavily pushing the iPlayer, so maybe they don't want to detract from that. Something also comes to mind about the BBC charter, too - they're not allowed to make anything that you'd have to pay for to be able to continue watching something you've been watching on licenced TV. Cases in point: In The Loop and the original Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies - it's why they changed character stories and names.

I've never heard of that before, do you know why Dad's Army, Steptoe and Son, Are You Being Served?,  Absolutely Fabulous and about 30 other films where all made without any changes to the characters?

I was under the impression that the names in In The Loop were changed because they were telling a very different story to the series but wanted to keep much the same cast. 

That was the reason for the character changes in In The Loop, Chris Addison said it at the time; the section of government which The Thick of It covered wouldnt be involved in the plot of In The Loop, so they all played new characters apart from Malcolm Tucker (and maybe one other I can't recall).

Doctor Who and the Daleks (plus it's sequel) weren't made by the BBC, it was optioned by a film company who made it using known British film stars rather than the Dr Who TV cast.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Likely Lads being the best one.

I've owned that for about a decade and it's never been out of the shrinkwrap. Must watch it. Watched the Porridge one with my daughter on BBC2 last week. That's really enjoyable if a bit strange with the different set. Always loved the Steptoe film with the blind greyhound too.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

That was the reason for the character changes in In The Loop, Chris Addison said it at the time; the section of government which The Thick of It covered wouldnt be involved in the plot of In The Loop, so they all played new characters apart from Malcolm Tucker (and maybe one other I can't recall).

Doctor Who and the Daleks (plus it's sequel) weren't made by the BBC, it was optioned by a film company who made it using known British film stars rather than the Dr Who TV cast.

Well colour me shocked. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I've never heard of that before, do you know why Dad's Army, Steptoe and Son, Are You Being Served?,  Absolutely Fabulous and about 30 other films where all made without any changes to the characters?

I was under the impression that the names in In The Loop were changed because they were telling a very different story to the series but wanted to keep much the same cast. 

As far as I know none of those films were considered official continuations of their series - they were effectively non-canon. Ab Fab was supposedly a series finale, but because it was the last Ab Fab thing they ever made, there's enough ambiguity for them to say it wasn't. 

As Bicurious Dad says, that was the reason given for In The Loop. As to the Doctor Who movies, because they were made by a different company, they couldn't have the rights to continue the BBC's storyline.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As far as I know none of those films were considered official continuations of their series - they were effectively non-canon. Ab Fab was supposedly a series finale, but because it was the last Ab Fab thing they ever made, there's enough ambiguity for them to say it wasn't. 

As Bicurious Dad says, that was the reason given for In The Loop. As to the Doctor Who movies, because they were made by a different company, they couldn't have the rights to continue the BBC's storyline.

Whiiiiite nooise

Runnin' through my miiiind

Stop making things up please. 

Archived