Whooooosh

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What goes over your head?

Simpsons' references for me. Was only ever a casual fan about twenty years ago. References are everywhere. It's often easy to work out the gist but some of it goes right over my head. Especially if there's no picture.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anything to do with Harry Potter. It's become one of those things that I won't look into because of stubbornness now, but everything that I do know of it makes it seem incredibly unappealing and shite. It doesn't help that it seems like it's the only literary reference 90% of people my age and younger in the media seem to have. The Worst Witch was way better anyway. 

• Paid Members

A lot of the big American TV shows of the last 15 years or so i.e Lost, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc. I’ve seen bits from each and Mrs Facesitter is obsessed with them, but to me anytime she talks about/makes references about them or references appear in other shows it just goes right over the noggin. 

32 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Anything to do with Harry Potter. It's become one of those things that I won't look into because of stubbornness now, but everything that I do know of it makes it seem incredibly unappealing and shite. It doesn't help that it seems like it's the only reference 90% of people my age and younger in the media seem to have. The Worst Witch was way better anyway. 

On a kind of related note, a year or so ago I was in Primark in their Harry Potter section.  My girlfriend asked me to keep an eye out for anything with a niffler on.  I said that I couldn't do that as I don't know what a niffler looked like, at which point a teenage girl span round and said in a raised voice "How can you not know what a niffler looks like" and I looked to the floor and wished it open up.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

On a kind of related note, a year or so ago I was in Primark in their Harry Potter section.  My girlfriend asked me to keep an eye out for anything with a niffler on.  I said that I couldn't do that as I don't know what a niffler looked like, at which point a teenage girl span round and said in a raised voice "How can you not know what a niffler looks like" and I looked to the floor and wished it open up.

Well if it comforts you, I don't know what a niffler is either.  You should have asked the girl if she knew who Gordon the Gofer was, and then walked off like Own Jones as she picked up her credibility off of the floor. 

1584.jpg?width=1280&height=720&quality=8

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Fortnite. I just don’t understand the appeal and/or why it’s acceptable to pay silly money for skins that don’t affect the gameplay at all My nephew spends every penny her gets from family on it and I don’t see why.

I  was in Game over Christmas and there was a parent in there who forked out £60 for "V bucks"? for his kids to buy and he seemed really downtrodden about it. My nephew is quite into it as well. I played a few games, and can see how it gets people hooked on it with its "better luck next time" and carrot dangling.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:17 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I feel your pain Houch, I work for them and have the same reaction whenever a customer asks for an item with a specific house on

• Paid Members

Fortnite, genuinely no clue what it's all about, just that it has that flossing dance in it. 

Game of Thrones. Never seen more than an episode. Just tits and dragons, innit? I can tend to piece together what people are on about, but it's still largely meaningless.

Harry Potter to an extent - an ex made me watch the movies, but I still don't really get it. When people talk about what house they're "in", I find it completely baffling. 

Also soaps and football.

Probably a bunch of others too - I barely watched any TV series between The Wire and the last season of Twin Peaks. 

• Paid Members

Modern music. I hardly listen to the radio any more, and if I do its Radio Cymru or 5 Live or something, so I never listen to any music I don't choose to. There are acts currently topping the charts that I've never even heard of.

Could say the same about foreign football. I'm very interested in domestic footy in Wales and non-league in general, but I don't watch any Serie A or La Liga these days so am totally clueless when the big Premiership sides are linked with this or that player who plays in Germany or whatever. 

Sci-Fi and comic books. Wrestling seems to be thrown into the same sub-culture as sci-fi at these comic conventions or whatever, but I've never read a non-Beano or Dandy comic book in my life and honestly find the whole superhero thing to be tragic as fuck. As a result, I've often walked around the twice annual Wales Comic Cons with the sole purpose of meeting the few wrestlers on hand and wondering who the hell all the other guests were.

I've never seen a single Star Wars film, Dr Who, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones or Star Trek.

Archived