Whooooosh

tiger_rick

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Oh I have one that some of you will probably find entertaining! I hope it doesn't ruin this thread now I've mentioned it but I've seen threads started on here several times over the last decade or so where all the replies are nothing other than pictures of random people's faces. No words just totally unrelated pictures. Celebrities or something I presume. To this day I have no idea what on Earth that was all about.

They're 90s FA Premier League stickers

tottenham-hotspur-ronny-rosenthal-480-me

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 12/31/2018 at 1:34 PM, tiger_rick said:

What goes over your head?

Simpsons' references for me. Was only ever a casual fan about twenty years ago. References are everywhere. It's often easy to work out the gist but some of it goes right over my head. Especially if there's no picture.

I thought I was the only one. You can't move for Simpsons references in here. Eastenders references from Astro and Ian are miles better.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Little Johnny said:

Well there we have it! In fairness Nigel Adkins is a legend at my local club (Bangor City) and I'm fiercely defensive of our Nige.

I hope Poch will forgive me for calling him a clown.... Love you Poch.

(I won't even pretend to know how you remember a throwaway comment of mine several years ago...)

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Little Johnny said:

Remember how annoyed people used to get because Poch had that interpreter doing his interviews? Then he turned up at Spurs speaking better English than Butchi. The big troll.

18 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I thought I was the only one. You can't move for Simpsons references in here. Eastenders references from Astro and Ian are miles better.

The thing is that you only need to watch 10 seasons of the Simpsons. This is because the show took a nosedive off a cliff quality wise and has been shit for 20 years. Those first 10 years were fucking gold and would be a joy to watch having never seen them before.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Apart from a small handful of Youtubers, I have absolutely no fucking clue at all about the majority of names that pop up, who are apparently rich enough to purchase my town and famous enough to headline a fucking PPV boxing card. 

Oh Christ, this. I don't really use YouTube all that much, but normally when there's a gap in my knowledge I can at least piece things together, but with YouTubers it's just a list of incomprehensible names, none of whom I can separate from one another, all of whom I assume are moments away from being outed as white supremacists or nonces.

• Paid Members

There are the top 10 most popular YouTubers (according to Google and Thrill List)

PewDiePie. Subscribers: 69.3 million

Dude Perfect. Subscribers: 36.1 million

HolaSoyGerman. Subscribers: 34.8 million

whinderssonnunes. Subscribers: 32.3 million

elrubiusOMG. Subscribers: 31.97 million

Fernanfloo. Subscribers: 30.3 million

JuegaGerman   Subscribers: 30.2 million

Felipe Neto   Subscribers: 27 million

VEGETTA777   Subscribers: 24.5 million

VanossGaming   Subscribers: 23.8 million

I watch an awful lot of YouTube, including gaming related content like Angry Joe, Peanut Butter Gamer and Jim Sterling, but the only one from that list that I've heard of is PewDiePie and that's only because he was outed as a bit of bad egg recently.

• Paid Members

Unless they make the BBC news site, I only hear about the teeny bopper make-up knobheads my daughter bangs on about. Zoella and the like.

This is maybe a thread in itself but I'm surprised TV hasn't changed particularly to take into account the popularity of YouTube. Especially Kids TV. My kids will watch minutes of CBBC or whatever these days but literally hours of YouTube.

It's not just product reviews, although they love all that blind bag stuff, but people playing with toys or indy cartoons and music videos. It's not massively innovative really. If you think about a show like Gamesmaster, that was a prelude to what YouTube is now but the speed, the variety and the fun that goes into it sems much more attractive than 12 episodes of peppa Pig back to back or some of the terrible yank kidcoms all over Disney and Nickleodeon.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Unless they make the BBC news site, I only hear about the teeny bopper make-up knobheads my daughter bangs on about. Zoella and the like.

This is maybe a thread in itself but I'm surprised TV hasn't changed particularly to take into account the popularity of YouTube. Especially Kids TV. My kids will watch minutes of CBBC or whatever these days but literally hours of YouTube.

It's not just product reviews, although they love all that blind bag stuff, but people playing with toys or indy cartoons and music videos. It's not massively innovative really. If you think about a show like Gamesmaster, that was a prelude to what YouTube is now but the speed, the variety and the fun that goes into it sems much more attractive than 12 episodes of peppa Pig back to back or some of the terrible yank kidcoms all over Disney and Nickleodeon.

It's starting to. Strictly Come Dancing had a YouTuber on it this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see this gradually become more common.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

the only one from that list that I've heard of is PewDiePie and that's only because he was outed as a bit of bad egg recently.

To clarify, he's a Nazi.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Yeah, the BBC should absolutely be producing YouTube-esque content. 

I do worry about YouTube in a lot of ways, because there's very little in the way of quality control. Kids' TV, especially on a public service broadcaster, has a lot of care and attention go into it to make sure it's appealing in all the right ways, but also educational, and relies at least somewhat on theories of child development and what's appropriate for the age.

Some random producing stuff on YouTube has nothing like that going into it (before you even get into the more overtly problematic aspects of the platform), so kids watching YouTube over purpose-designed kids' TV could be missing out on all sorts. Someone like CBBC producing content that mimics the presentation of YouTube, but still hits all the right bullet points, should be a priority, IMO.

Archived