WOOOOR BIT OF CHRISTMAS WRESTLING IS IT?

Otto Dem Wanz

With time off from work, bountiful supplies of food, alcohol, and not wanting to stray into the Baltic winter nights I often do a lot of wrestling viewing over Christmas.

I've compiled a brief list of things I want to get round to seeing during the holidays, its a mixture of old favourites, stuff I've forgotten and want to revisit and a bit of new stuff to keep me going too. At the moment I'm planning something like this: 

FULL SHOWS 

Wrestlemania 17 (This needs no explanation)

NXT Takeover: London (I was there and haven't seen it all the way through since, and it will undoubtedly be cool to see the 2015 vintage of NXT and compare who's done what on the main roster, or otherwise..)

WCW Spring Stampede 1999 (I have never watched a full WCW PPV, this will change with what I've heard is an ace show back to front)

WWF Survivor Series 1998 (One of the very few PPV's that can be watched in its entirety and not need a fast forward at any point)

MATCHES

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio - WCW Halloween Havoc 1997 (Someone on a wrestling Twitter page I follow recently posted a compilation of action from this match and it really is incredible, I want to see it all together again)

Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels - Hell in a Cell - Bad Blood 1997 (Again, my all time favourite match, no explanation needed)

That mad 10 man tag match from RAW in 2000 (One of the best atmospheres at a TV taping ever)

John Cena and Triple H vs Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio, and Randy Orton - Saturday Night's Main Event from March 2006 (I saw this while browsing the GRAPPL app and thought it sounded intriguing, I think I first watched it on the Wrestlemania 22 DVD about 12 years ago)

6-man Hell in a Cell from Armageddon 2000 (The best WWF PPV match to occur in December?) 

MISCELLANEOUS 

Wrestling with Shadows (Though not a Christmas film, there is no more inspirational story than that of Bret Hart, just look at the way that girl is going back to school for computer graphics!)

The episode of RAW that comes right after Wrestlemania 14 (did anyone else say "changing of the guard?")

What's your wrestling schedule over Christmas looking like?

Critique, recommend and discuss away!

• Paid Members

I think I’m going to craic on with U.U.D.D and carry on with their SD vs Raw 06 game. Watched the first few episodes of that series and want to carry on.

Someone is due to be send me a file with every debuting stars vignette from 90 - 94 (in order) within the next week. That will be fun background noise.

20 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

WWF Survivor Series 1998 (One of the very few PPV's that can be watched in its entirety and not need a fast forward at any point)

I love this show but steady on, Taker had 2 right stinkers on this show I'll be stunned if you don't skip

A Kane match that had been done to death and wasn't that good the first time, and he just never really had the chemistry with The Rock

17 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I fucking hated Survivor Series 98 with a passion at the time but I always see praise for it on here somehow, not watched it since is there a reason to rewatch it

I'd say it's worth another go. Worthy as being held up as one of the positive things Russo has brought people. The story/twist is clever without too many plotholes. There's way too many matches, but it is the attitude era, and most of them are short, aside from aforementioned Taker shite. Everything Boss Man did was good, Vince introducing Duane Gill at the beginning is a GREAT moment, and Foley/Rock main event is one of the best WWF matches of the year

anyway I'll probably be watching a lot of 2000s BJW deathmatches, on the off chance anybody cares

• Paid Members

10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Watch several of them simultaneously and see if any of them sync up.

And anytime the same wrestler comes out at the same time, with music playing simultaneously, raise a celebratory smile, knowing full well that you’ve made this happen.

• Paid Members

There's going to be tons of end-of-year 'Best Of...' lists about, so I'll be using those to craft some sort of Christmas viewing. I'm also considering re-subbing to the Network for 'Mania season and to indulge in some nostalgic comfort viewing over the winter months (the likes of Fully Loaded 2000, SummerSlam 2002 and Vengeance 2003 spring to mind). 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

There's going to be tons of end-of-year 'Best Of...' lists about, so I'll be using those to craft some sort of Christmas viewing. 

Ah mate, (I highly imagine this has been discussed numerous times before), but you’ve just made me really want them to add a playlist sharing feature on the Network, much like Spotify has, where members can create their own best of, or playlists. 

Podcasters could use it for things such as ‘Our top 10 KOTR matches’ so listeners have an easier/simpler way to access the footage they’re talking about. Probably flawed to bits, but yeah, I’d be well up for seeing some of your playlists... mmm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Ah mate, (I highly imagine this has been discussed numerous times before), but you’ve just made me really want them to add a playlist sharing feature on the Network, much like Spotify has, where members can create their own best of, or playlists. 

Podcasters could use it for things such as ‘Our top 10 KOTR matches’ so listeners have an easier/simpler way to access the footage they’re talking about. Probably flawed to bits, but yeah, I’d be well up for seeing some of your playlists... mmm

Yeah, I've always wanted the exact same thing! Especially with all the content on the network, there's limitless possibilities for following feuds and themes.

A few years back, after the Trips/Taker HIAC 'Mania match, I compiled a huge list of all the times that HHH,HBK and Taker had interacted with each other in order to create a story of their intertwining career paths, up until the very moment that they're stood together on the WrestleMania entrance way. I even managed to thread through a narrative and 'chapters' for certain periods of time. It would be great to throw it all on a few playlists and share publicly on the Network. 

On 12/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, sj5522 said:

I love this show but steady on, Taker had 2 right stinkers on this show I'll be stunned if you don't skip

A Kane match that had been done to death and wasn't that good the first time, and he just never really had the chemistry with The Rock

Totally agree that the Taker matches you talk about aren't enjoyable, but in terms of just sticking something on and letting it run Survivors 98 does that for me in spite of them. That said, the Bearer turn and the fact Taker is using the best ever version of his music also mean they require watching from my side.

Archived