Super Show-Down (Showdown? Show Down?)

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Largely forgettable show. 

AJ and Joe had a great match, as expected - Joe is probably the most consistently solid performer they have right now - but they're getting to a point where they need to have Joe get a big win, as in a couple of month's time no one will remember that he "deserved" the win when AJ tapped out, they'll just remember that he lost on three or four straight pay-per-views. When they started talking up how AJ was the first person to win the WWE Title overseas, I honestly thought Joe was taking it here. 

Assuming Bryan's title match in Saudi Arabia won't be as long-term meaningless as his run in the Greatest Royal Rumble, Joe/Bryan has so much more potential than AJ/Bryan - both will be great matches, but the latter would be little more than indie fan-wank, where the prospect of Joe trying to end Daniel Bryan in a vicious match, backed up with the sort of promos he's been cutting on Styles, is far more appealing to me. Speaking of Bryan, his match with Miz was a complete waste of time - really didn't feel like that was the planned finish.

Weirdly, I enjoyed the main event. I couldn't stand the last two Wrestlemania Triple H/Undertaker matches, which I thought were self-indulgent, melodramatic nonsense, yet somehow this one worked for me. It was the exact amount of overbooking to make it work.

John Cena has become a full-blown holiday camp act, hasn't he? His facial expressions were hilariously OTT. He was just in full house show mode with his big goofy reactions. I can't tell if he's going through the motions or having the most fun he's ever had in the ring, it could go either way - he's clearly not taking it at all seriously, whichever it is. I'm amazed he did the "Sixth Move of Doom" for the finish - I figured that was just a house show gag when he debuted it, never thought it would make TV and be sold as a finish. I've spoken to a couple of wrestlers since the show, who found it hilarious, whereas it seems to just be fans ragging on it - so definitely a "pop the boys" kind of move, which is kind of mental from someone in Cena's position. I'll take big daft comedy spots over him busting out Yoshi Tonics and Springboard Stunners for no reason at all, though.

Archived