Psychedelic Music

BigJackTaylor

It's not a genre I often find myself listening to but I dig a little Acid Mothers Temple and a few other of Kawabatas projects. Les Rallizes Dénudés, Flower Travellin' Band and Bordoms get thrown on a bit when the mood arises too, you could say I have a type.

Oh and how could I forget Spacemen 3, they were stupidly good.

11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Oh and how could I forget Spacemen 3, they were stupidly good.

Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To Was a mantra adopted by two friends and I for our lo-fi project in the late 90s!

Are we classing the commercial / popular end of the spectrum (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev and stuff of that ilk?)  If so, count me in!

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To Was a mantra adopted by two friends and I for our lo-fi project in the late 90s!

Are we classing the commercial / popular end of the spectrum (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev and stuff of that ilk?)  If so, count me in!

Yeah I'd say so. Love Flaming Lips but will need to go and listen to some Mercury Rev.

6 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Ace user name and avatar @BigJackTaylor - I really like that Tame Impala song also.

Can't say I know much about the genre but will be keeping tabs on this to expand my knowledge and Spotify playlist!

Cheers for that. Big Jack was a hero, God rest his soul. Remember, he used to weigh 40 stone at Morleys. 

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Please tell me you had something recorded.

Loop were a bit special, I originally found them through a Godflesh cover/split EP.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Please tell me you had something recorded.

We have! Did you know Fraser from Freakbeat records / Way Ahead and loads of other bands (including Sexual Deviance, the finest punk band Cov ever produced), well it was me, him and our mate Simon.  We were all having mental breakdowns, got together round Frasers every Thursday to take drugs and make music.  Recorded this in 1999.

Acid Mothers Temple are always in Cork. They come here to play to about 12 people around this time every year, because they just really like the place, and it's always mental. Last time they played at twelve in the afternoon during the jazz weekend and one of them wore a dress and started doing a mock striptease in front of bemused punters coming in because their gigs are always free. 

They're always about in charity shops the day after.

On the subject of psychedelic music, it's more of a mutated evolution of the mentality that's not fit for the thread but I've always loved the late 80s/early 90s American stuff like Green Jelly and Butthole Surfers who basically took the flower power nuances of 60s guitar music, chucked it in the bin and said "what if it's a really bad trip, instead?"

Some of Kevin Parker of Tame Impala's mates. They have some good music and were great when I saw them live.

More Aussies. These were supporting Tame Impala and I loved this because it has a clubby/festival vibe to it.

Kevin Parker's ex. He plays the instruments and produces it. Can you tell I quite like Tame Impala?

Archived