Roast Dinner

Nexus

• Paid Members

My Mum makes a cracking Sunday Dinner, but I couldn't eat it more than once a week because even the best tasting dinners are a bland collection of foods covered in gravy. I find them incredibly boring and a faff to make.

Not getting this blandness stuff at all. Are you all using the correct proportion of salt, pepper and butter? I'll give you a clue, it's fucking loads. I had a mate who didn't like mashed potatoes because they didn't taste of anything. Fucking weirdo, they taste of mashed potatoes.

What's the pudding of choice? I'm partial to a sticky toffee pudding with a roast. Usually go for Ice Cream as it's accompaniment as you can't beat a bit of hot and cold pudding. If I'm feeling a bit fancy I'll get the Sainsbury's top shelf fresh custard, still goes on cold mind.

• Paid Members

I get the felling, based on a couple threads hereĀ and the 'UKFF Loves Food' thread, that if you don't like roast dinners or don't see the big deal with them, then you haven't actually had a good one. A mate of mine from school didn't care for them until we went to another mate's house for Sunday dinner and he was shell shocked at how good it was.

A big thing with roast dinners is the ability to say "No". Chances are that you've probably had a plate filled with stuff you don't like (or it's just a badly prepped roast dinner) and it's put you off. Whenever I'm round someones gaff for a roast, I'll ask for little-to-no mash, plenty of stuffing and for my roasters to be burnt to a crisp. Much like Burger King, the key to a good roast is to have it your way.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Whenever I'm round someones gaff for a roast, I'll ask for little-to-no mash, plenty of stuffing and for my roasters to be burnt to a crisp. Much like Burger King, the key to a good roast is to have it your way.

I dunno, I feel like if someone is going to the effort of cooking you a roast, which is no minor undertaking, I'd feel awful making specific requests for how I wanted things cooked, and I'd just be grateful someone is going to that much effort and eat it the way they cooked it. Everyone is different and of course it depends on who is doing the cooking, and it's not intended as a dig but asking for a customised roast seems a little cheeky to me.Ā 

• Paid Members

Sunday dinner stopped me from being a green veg dodger as a kid. Letā€™s be honest, if itā€™s drowning in gravy and dribbling mint sauce etc, itā€™s not really standard greens is it.Ā 

Honestly though, Iā€™m in the middle of a proper intense health kick. Stopped the booze, very active and eating healthy.Ā 

I need to stop coming on here. My phone history consists of Sunday Dinner, Chocolate, Cheese and Fish & Chips. It could be considered self harm.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

I dunno, I feel like if someone is going to the effort of cooking you a roast, which is no minor undertaking, I'd feel awful making specific requests for how I wanted things cooked, and I'd just be grateful someone is going to that much effort and eat it the way they cooked it. Everyone is different and of course it depends on who is doing the cooking, and it's not intended as a dig but asking for a customised roast seems a little cheeky to me.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

You'll get what your given and just leave what you don't like. Cheeky bastard!

Lads, it's not like I'm kicking down the kitchen door with a list of requirements and demands. 99% of the time I'll just casually say "Not too much mash for me please" and they'll usually ask what I'd like instead, which is stuffing. Can't see the big deal really. And it's better than me leaving it on the plate and wasting food.

When it comes to the roasters, if it's a family member or close friend, they know what I like anyway. I'm absolutely not going storming into someone house and telling them how to cook, that's absurd.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Lads, it's not like I'm kicking down the kitchen door with a list of requirements and demands. 99% of the time I'll just casually say "Not too much mash for me please" and they'll usually ask what I'd like instead, which is stuffing.Ā 

We used to cook for mates quite a bit (group of around 5-6 couples, inviting a couple of couples over for tea now and again). Once we had a baby, we had to stop using it as an excuse to get battered, so arranged earlier meal times.

Naturally, Sunday dinner is perfect for this.

Out of 6 people, one of them has a strict diet due to training & one has allergies. So we just put it all out in buffet form. So much easier.

Saves usĀ needing to plate up for everyone,Ā people can just help themselves to whatever they want, no awkwardness.Ā 

Archived