Roast Dinner

Nexus

• Paid Members

Had a banging roast dinner at lunch time today at a restaurant, but it's something I enjoy cooking as well.

How do you take yours? What meat? Yorkshires? Veg? Condiments?

I have chicken mostly, with yorkshires, parsnips, roast potatoes, carrots, peas and lots and lots of gravy. Today's roast had some kind of buttery fried cabbage and it was amazing. 

Will occasionally add in some sweet potatoes should I fancy them, either roasted or mashd, and on a very rare occasion, roasted butternut squash with a bit of cinnamon on it. 

I love a good roast dinner but I hate cooking one. Well it's less the cooking side and more the having to wash up a million things afterwards. I love going to the mother in law's on a Sunday for one. She does an absolute cracking lunch. Anyways, the ideal meat is beef as beef is awesome and nothing comes close to it. Then usually have mash AND roast potatoes because I'm big time like that. Then a mountain of stuffing, carrots, peas, parsnips, a couple of yorkies and lashings of gravy. Sometimes cauliflower and cheese but its not compulsory. The key then is to fill the yorkies with a bit of everything (except the cauliflower and cheese) and eat away. Then if there's room for pudding, a nice rhubarb crumble with either custard or ice cream. After that its time to lie on the sofa in a food coma with a cloud of flatulence lingering around me. 

Fucking weird. I came on today to post this exact thread!!! As I actually need advice, but it's more apt for the cookery thread maybe on hindsight.

Anyway, for me, mashed swede, honey roasted/glazed carrots and absolute fuck ton of roast potatoes is all I need.

My ex once caught me at 2am with potatoes on a fork, just dipping them in the cup of cold gravy and eating them whole. I love roast potatoes so much.

Had a roast dinner with the wife tonight. Had roast turkey, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans and Yorkshire puddings. All covered in gravy and salt and pepper. 

Will sometimes chuck some onion in to roast with the potatoes or do some honey glazed parsnips too.

• Paid Members

For me, the key to a good roast is homemade puddings and gravy and cauliflower cheese. The rest of it can be shitty Iceland tray roast stuff, but the puddings gravy and cauliflower cheese has to be fully home made from scratch. 

If I was putting the ideal one together, it would be roast beef, roast pork, stuffing, peas, carrots and the afore mentioned puddings, cauliflower cheese and gravy. Then a spoonful of applesauce on the pork and a massive dollop of whole grain mustard on the beef. It also has to be served on a warmed up plate...

I've always been a lamb man but since realising the cost of lamb when I had to buy my own food I've come to the conclusion that pork is king. The working class meat of choice and it has the best condiment of all, apple sauce. At least two types of potatoes, roasted and mashed. Braised carrots are good but ill usually just do a carrot smash or jobbings, peas, broccoli, stuffing and gravy. 

One thing I tend not to do is cross pollinate. Chipolatas can only go with turkey or chicken. Yorkies with beef. Each meat has a specific condiment, none of this mint sauce on everything. You've got to have rules or else all roasts are the same.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

One thing I tend not to do is cross pollinate. Chipolatas can only go with turkey or chicken. Yorkies with beef. Each meat has a specific condiment, none of this mint sauce on everything. You've got to have rules or else all roasts are the same.

Preach brother Danger, PREACH. 

We went to a Sunday carvery for lunch. My older brother Dave had yorkshire pudding and gravy with fucking Gammon. We made the daft bastard sit at a different table to the rest of us because of how appalled we were. 

10 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I've always been a lamb man but since realising the cost of lamb when I had to buy my own food I've come to the conclusion that pork is king. The working class meat of choice and it has the best condiment of all, apple sauce. At least two types of potatoes, roasted and mashed. Braised carrots are good but ill usually just do a carrot smash or jobbings, peas, broccoli, stuffing and gravy. 

You also get crackling of a cooked properly pork joint too. One of gods finest gifts. 

• Paid Members

Thoughts on slow cooking joints of meat? 

After searing, I stuck a beef joint in the slow cooker with some carrots yesterday. Came out like this... 

IMG_20180902_184237_036.jpg

Ended up roasting some normal and sweet potatoes, Cauli and Broccoli to go along with it. Bit of Paxo stuffing and Gravy too.

Wasn't amazing but did the job. 

• Paid Members

Was always chicken, but 100% beef these days. Unless they offer a trio of meats, so I ask for 3x beef.

A few months ago we went somewhere that had steak as an option, rather than general beef.

It bloody well worked. It was lovely.

Anyway yeah, I’m not fussy and like all veg, potatoes, gravy. Chuck it all on, pour gravy over the load, the plate will be spotless.

Archived