Disenchantment

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

So. New Matt Groening show. Think it's worthy of its own discussion. I've finished the run of ten episodes now. There's no spoilers in my post here, but if enough people have seen it and want to discuss it I think spoilers should be welcome in this thread without having to use tags. Overall I would say I definitely enjoyed it.

I love the world they've created, and all the little details in it that make it feel real. That's something Groening's always done well. There's a whole host of fanatastic incidental characters that I'd love to spend more time with.

Of the main characters Zog is an easy favourite. I had a hard time connecting with Bean as the protagonist. Her character feels a bit all over the place to me.. Something about her just felt inconsistent and unrealistic.

To the story itself. I feel like there was too much time spent on the overall series long arc and the comedy suffered as a result. I would have liked more one shot episodes that spent a bit more time exploring the aforementioned wider world and supporting characters.

That said, they have left the ending with a bunch of questions hanging and I'm excited to see where it goes.

• Paid Members

If it's anything like the hybrid of Simpsons, Adventure Time and Yonderland that it seems to be, then I'll definitely give it a go and get the kids involved too (as long as it's Simpsons level of maturity at the most).

• Awards Moderator

I’ve watched the first two and am really enjoying it. Feels like a good fit alongside Groening’s other shows and while it still feels like it’s finding its feet there is loads to like. I too would be very happy with some standalone episodes; one of the best things about early Futurama was the fact you could jump in to any episode in any order and still have a great time watching.

• Paid Members

I'm watching one episode a day on my lunch breaks and I'm finding it really enjoyable. I'll be starting Ep 4 later on today. Maybe I need to study this idea more, but does it seem like half the characters have the typical Groening style and the other half look different, as in a different cartoon style. Like, Elfo and Bean could fit into The Simpsons or Futurama, whereas King Zog would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm having trouble trying to explain my point, sorry lads. But it almost feels like that must mean something.

In terms of Netflix animation, it's better than Final Space but doesn't come close to matching F Is For Family or Bojack Horseman yet. Still, a great show with tons of detail to keep your eyes on.

Really enjoying it so far. Prince Merkimer is an early favorite, much in the same vein as Zapp Brannigan. 

It's also traditional and innocent enough to be a nice antidote to the age we live in where so many animated comedies seems to have culturally aware, cooler than thou, I'm-a-loser-baby characters who seem to have half a foot in the world we live in and make constant lewd jokes and go on about drugs and their misanthropy and stuff. 

• Paid Members

I’m halfway through and am enjoying it. I like the main three characters, and haven’t found Elfo as grating as I thought i would. 

It hasn’t been as funny as early Simpsons but I think it’s still fun to watch. 

Archived