Who's the best GM at GM'ing?

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Regal Bischoff win this one, for me. Looking through that list though, there is some utter tripe on there. Thankfully a lot of them are ones that I must have blanked from my memory, as I can scarcely recall angles involving quite a few of them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GM'ing...
I wanna GM with you.
GM'ing...
I hope you like GM'ing too.

Anyway, yes, it's Bischoff for me, but then I haven't seen much of Regal in NXT ("and that's the beauty of it!" I hear you cry). Easy E always had that credibility, that sense of authority that others lacked, even on episodes where he had to kowtow to the McMahons in one segment and act the slimy big cheese in the next.

• Paid Members

Has to be William Regal for me. He's the only who feels like he's an actual boss, who makes rational decisions, and isn't booking a wrestling show on the fly. Even little touches like him having management textbooks in his office make him stand out.

In terms of RAW/Smackdown GMs, probably Bischoff. Had enough of an air of authority around him to make you believe he actually could be in charge, yet was convincingly smarmy and egotistical enough that you could believe some of the more megalomaniacal or vindictive bits of business, rather than it just feeling like he was making life hard for the babyfaces because he was playing a bad guy boss on a wrestling TV show and that's what they do.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Supremo said:

Wow, I’d completely forgotten about that. Wasn’t he getting mega heat week in and week out, only for everything to go tits up when he got busted for drugs? 

Yeah, so disappointing. 

• Paid Members

One of the things I liked about Bischoff's regime was that Val Venis got a new lease of life as sleazy-bully-dickhead Chief Morley. He was more interesting in those few weeks than he had been in years, shame they never kept it up.

Bischoff for me, he's got everything you want in a heel GM (and heel GM's have far more mileage than babyface GM's in my opinion).

Kurt Angle, as much as I like him as a wrestler, is terrible in this kind of roll I think. 

• Paid Members

See, I think that's a problem, for me at least. A heel GM getting heat on the face of things is good, but getting more heat than anyone else when you're not an active wrestler doesn't do anyone any good, because there's no pay-off that anyone would ever find satisfactory. A few years back, it was even less satisfying if it was a woman GM, because they couldn't have any physical pay-offs, although I daresay now with the new women's division it could work. 

But either way, a GM, even a heel one, should only ever be a supplemental element to the main wrestlers, because they're the ones having the feud. It was OK having Vince as a heel authority figure, because feuds with him could culminate in a match.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

See, I think that's a problem, for me at least. A heel GM getting heat on the face of things is good, but getting more heat than anyone else when you're not an active wrestler doesn't do anyone any good, because there's no pay-off that anyone would ever find satisfactory.

Wasn't there more than a few instances of Bischoff getting his comeuppance that were more than satisfactory?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Wasn't there more than a few instances of Bischoff getting his comeuppance that were more than satisfactory?

Sorry, should've been clearer - there's no pay-off that anyone would ever find satisfactory for a heel GM that gets more heat than anyone else on the roster. If a GM is genuinely hated more than heel Triple H or heel Angle, I don't think there's any kind of pay-off that would match that other than a vicious beat-down in a cage match or something.

10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, should've been clearer - there's no pay-off that anyone would ever find satisfactory for a heel GM that gets more heat than anyone else on the roster. If a GM is genuinely hated more than heel Triple H or heel Angle, I don't think there's any kind of pay-off that would match that other than a vicious beat-down in a cage match or something.

Yeah, I'll agree there. I just always thought that Bischoff ticked all the boxes in a GM, right down to how he essentially looked like the evil executive in a shit movie.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

Yeah, I'll agree there. I just always thought that Bischoff ticked all the boxes in a GM, right down to how he essentially looked like the evil executive in a shit movie.

Oh, for sure. But that's why I think Bischoff was great - he didn't (or perhaps couldn't) get more heat than the biggest heels of the time, he fit right into where he was supposed to be. Vickie Guerrero started off great, but either because she was too good as a heel, or perhaps the big heels of that era just weren't good enough, she just overshadowed them after a fashion. The only pay-off I remember her getting was that pig-pen mudbath thingy, which wasn't satisfying at all, and just a bit uncomfortable to watch.

Archived