Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

There's just nothing to it anymore. It's all so bland and meaningless. It's not like you can't make good reality TV anymore (Below Deck remains an obsession in this house) but they seem allergic to anything interesting ever happening.

Yeah, theyve shown the banner for it a few times during the shows, but its in one ear and out the other. I think it was even mentioned here just before it started too. When people couldnt give two shits about it when people like Conor were doing it, I have no idea of what would motivate someone to watch Grasso and Shev do it. For those few golden years everyone watched it, but now, with so many events that people cant even be arsed to watch, then watching an entire show with the same 20 year old format just doesnt appeal.

One thing I wish they kept from years gone by was that show where they followed the fighters around for a few days and showed their training methods. Was really interesting, and I can still remember the insane training Wanderlei did with the snorkel, or that Sean Sherk (remember him?) caveman workout. Was always a solid watch.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Just went on the UFC’s website to look at the rankings and the homepage had something about the latest series of TUF with Grasso and Shevchenko as coaches. I knew that season was coming up but I saw it said ‘Episode 8 Recap’. This TUF is 8 episodes in, I had no idea it had even started and not one of us on here seems to have bothered with a second of it ? Remember the days when TUF was appointment viewing? 

I watched episoded 1 & 2 which were your usual fair, but i've literally blinked and it's on episode 8. I would really love to hear a good explanation of why they keep doing it, especially now The Contender Series is in full effect.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Dai said:

One thing I wish they kept from years gone by was that show where they followed the fighters around for a few days and showed their training methods. Was really interesting, and I can still remember the insane training Wanderlei did with the snorkel, or that Sean Sherk (remember him?) caveman workout. Was always a solid watch.

They still do UFC Connected on Fight Pass which is like a 20 minute weekly magazine show, they have segments like that on there I think.

Oh, and Sean Sherk was the man.

• Paid Members

Main thing I remember Sherk for was that he trained Brock Lesnar. I think I also remember reading that he had a classic fight with Frank Trigg.

• Paid Members

Don’t think Sherk ever fought Trigg but he did have some good fights. Really enjoyed his fight with Tyson Griffin and he had a proper bloodbath with Kenny Florian. There’s another name you don’t hear anymore, Florian was a legit contender at 155 for a while there. 

• Paid Members

Who am I thinking of that Trigg had a well-remembered fight or series with? Looking up his record helps me none - seems he fought bloody everybody.

What happened to Kenny Florian on commentary? From what I remember he was pretty good. Wonder why they ditched him? 

What happened to Sherk too? He was seemingly a contender, then got injured and just never came back from what my memory draws on about that time period. I assume he was one of the main benefactors of the wild west days of drug testing back then too. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Dai said:

What happened to Kenny Florian on commentary? From what I remember he was pretty good. Wonder why they ditched him? 

What happened to Sherk too? He was seemingly a contender, then got injured and just never came back from what my memory draws on about that time period. I assume he was one of the main benefactors of the wild west days of drug testing back then too. 

Looking at his record, it seems he won the LW belt, then got stripped of it following his first successful defence, testing positive for nandrolone.

He looks to have had a pretty good UFC run, though - retired with a 36-4-1 record, his only UFC losses being to GSP, Edgar, and Penn.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Dai said:

Yeah he definitely had his controversies with drug testing. It was the whole story of his beef with BJ Penn back then. He got popped for steroids after the Hermes Franca fight in 2007, was stripped of the title as a result, came back and got battered by Penn when they eventually fought. Then from 2009 on he started falling to bits and had a run of injury after injury which eventually led to him retiring after the Evan Dunham fight in 2010. 

Looked at his Wikipedia page to jog my memory and I forgot how bad it was at the end. He literally ran out of the arena after the Edgar fight to avoid being tested (which is another thing I forgot) and then pretty much every paragraph after that is some variation of ‘Sherk was scheduled to fight…’ and then ‘he was forced to withdraw due to injury’. He fell to pieces after they started getting on his back about the PEDs. And he was probably pushing 40 by then anyway so it was over for him at that top level.

• Paid Members

Florian got canned over some plagiarism issue involving an article he wrote from what I remember. 

Was always decent on commetary to be fair.

I believe both Florian and Sherk were involved in the UFC antitrust lawsuit so I doubt they'll be welcomed back with both arms any time soon. 

• Paid Members

That’s right. Florian was alright on commentary but I can’t say I was a big fan. He was kind of like Cruz for me in that he just came across too dry and his voice would grate on me after a bit. The plagiarism thing definitely rings a bell.

Really good fighter in his day though. Watching him on TUF as a chubby 185er, I’d never have imagined he’d have as much success as he did in the UFC but them reviving the 155 division in 2006 couldn’t have came at a better time for him. Still haven’t forgiven him for spoiling Gomi’s UFC debut though.