Great Individual/One-Off Matches

RoryFice

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, I think that's the match Roy's referring to a few posts back. 

Obviously it's wrestling so leave logic at the door and that, but when you look at that early 2000 Triple H-Rikishi match in hindsight, it makes no sense that they were happily knocking the shit out of each other. Considering, storyline-wise, they were lurking around in the shadows and running down Austin with a car together at Survivor Series just weeks before that match. 

It was obviously part of Triple H's master plan to throw us off the scent... maybe. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelton Benjamin vs Shawn Michaels in 2005, on Raw as part of that Gold Rush tournament thing. A stunning TV match that never developed into anything else, even with HBK nailing that Sweet Chin Music as Shelton came off the top rope.

Already mentioned but HHH  vs Hardcore Holly for the WWE title on heat is my favourite. Brilliant match and for a minute it looked like HHH was losing the title after a Holly dropkick. You've got to be good to sucker you in that much that you thought it might be possible that the title might change hands on Heat.....to Holly.....after a dropkick!

Also, Ted Dibiase vs Blue Blazer from 1991 I want to say? Great short little match between the two. Suggested to anyone that hasn't seen it before. 

• Paid Members

Dibiase vs Blazer would've been about 1989, I think. Owen wasn't doing the Blue Blazer gimmick by 91, was he? 

Great shout regardless. Really good match. It was on that Best Of SNME tape if I'm remembering clearly. 

Rock had a cracking mini feud with Hurricane before he fucked off to Hollywood iirc. Great segments and really made Helms look worthy in the ring.

That and Austin v Spike Dudley are my favourite TV mini feuds. Need more of those these days, Balor v The Drifter was pretty decent

The US open challenge(s) had lots of good ones. Zayn's main roster debut v Cena in Canada. Rollins did one for the heavyweight title against Neville (back when everyone thought he was just a flippy lower-midcarder who couldn't talk for shit) which features one of the best nearfalls I've ever seen that had plenty thinking the shy Geordie had just won the WWE title out of the blue. Owens did a recent one and had a lovely match with Chad Gable too. As long as Ziggler doesn't answer them, open challenges are my shit.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Bukamania said:

Eddie Guerrero vs. The Rock on RAW in 2002 is criminally underrated. Bloody love that match.

When Eddy referred to his hair as "The People's Mullet"! That was fun.

A couple others spring to mind: Bret vs. Shinzaki, and Bret vs. 1-2-3 Kid. Those were really good, and I'm pretty sure were one-offs.

53 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

When Eddy referred to his hair as "The People's Mullet"! That was fun.

A couple others spring to mind: Bret vs. Shinzaki, and Bret vs. 1-2-3 Kid. Those were really good, and I'm pretty sure were one-offs.

Oh yeah, don't forget Kid v Hakushi too! All I can think when I watched 1995 PPVs on the network is "man, I'd have been the biggest Hakushi mark imaginable in this climate"

• Paid Members

There's a Bret vs Virgil match on Superstars from around 92/93 that's surprisingly great. I came across it whilst I was transferring some VHS to DVD a few years ago and was thought it held up really well.

• Paid Members

Did Hakushi vs Shawn Michaels ever happen in 1995? 

Actually, Shawn Michaels vs Jeff Jarrett is one I'm surprised hasn't come up yet. They had that one tremendous match at In Your House and I don't think they ever worked again. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Oh yeah, don't forget Kid v Hakushi too! All I can think when I watched 1995 PPVs on the network is "man, I'd have been the biggest Hakushi mark imaginable in this climate"

Dammit, I meant Hakushi, not Shinzaki! For some reason forgot he was going under that name, wasn't meaning to be all smarky. Sorry.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Did Hakushi vs Shawn Michaels ever happen in 1995? 

Not on TV.

Speaking of Hakushi, everyone remembers his match with Kid from SummerSlam 95 but they had a couple of matches with the dynamic flipped that were worth a watch. Night after Survivors and I think one tucked away on a January 96 Superstars.

Archived