Great Individual/One-Off Matches

RoryFice

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daniel Bryan vs Triple H is another one where everything worked like a charm. Great story,great drama and an excellent match with Bryan looking great and going onto to get his crowning moment.

• Paid Members

Bryan/Triple H might be my favourite ever Triple H match; he's normally, and doubly so since going part-time, the epitome of the WWE's attempts at an "epic" match, which I almost invariably find dull as fuck - signature moves, brawl on the outside, announce table spot, finisher, kick-out, finisher, kick-out, Trips gets his sledgehammer, breathes heavily at it, takes the other guy's finisher, kick-out, overly choreographed "moment" that's designed to look iconic for the highlight reel because Trips desperately wants his "I'm sorry, I love you" moment, finisher, done - whereas in the Daniel Bryan match he was wrestling like a proper NWA heel champ, knowing that the babyface was the star and his job was to put him over strong. He was bumping all over the place, making everything Bryan did look like a million bucks, and everything he should be doing as a part-time heel authority figure these days, rather than playing the super strong cool bad-ass.

I think there was a pretty good Triple H v Tazz match shortly after that cracker he had with Taka Michinoku. Tazz may have been the ECW champion in that match having beaten Mike Awesome.

Also around the same time (I think) there was a pretty good Triple H v Rikishi Phatu match on Smackdown that was also a one-off.

• Paid Members

Triple H seemed to work with absolutely everyone in 2000. 

I can't really recall what the match was like but I remember him having a match with Bob Holly on Heat around then as well. Which, from my recollection, came about because Hardcore Bob had the cheek to nick one of H's Granny Smith's from the fruit bowl of the McMahon-Helmsley suite. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, zep81 said:

Daniel Bryan vs Triple H is another one where everything worked like a charm. Great story,great drama and an excellent match with Bryan looking great and going onto to get his crowning moment.

[Quote] I'd like to read other posters suggestions of great matches that either aren't part of a major storyline or just a minor cog in one.[/quote]

Errrrr...... I dont think this fits. It had about an eight month build for Christ's sake.

29 minutes ago, air_raid said:

[Quote] I'd like to read other posters suggestions of great matches that either aren't part of a major storyline or just a minor cog in one.[/quote]

Errrrr...... I dont think this fits. It had about an eight month build for Christ's sake.

Ah I missed that bit. Thx.

• Paid Members

I seem to recall 'Taker and RVD having a surprisingly good match for the Hardcore title at Vengeance.

My favourite? Heel Doink versus Bret at Summerslam '93. As far as I'm aware this had no buildup or feud, and was just fodder for Hart versus Lawler. But they had a nice little match, a mix of technical wrestling and brawling. And don't forget Doink chucking a bucket of water over Bruce.

Summerslam '93 would probably be my favourite event ever (wearing my rose-tinted glasses) if Luger had got the belt off Yoko.  

Watched Piper vs Flair from MSG in 91 on the network recently. An incredibly fun match... Flair being Flair and Piper being nuts. Certainly not a Flair classic but really heated and has a wild feel to it thanks to Piper - they do little but man it's good. 

Weirdly, there is a Davey Boy vs IRS match on the same show that I thought was an absolute belter - doesn't sound right so might have to watch again to re-check. 

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Triple H seemed to work with absolutely everyone in 2000. 

I can't really recall what the match was like but I remember him having a match with Bob Holly on Heat around then as well. Which, from my recollection, came about because Hardcore Bob had the cheek to nick one of H's Granny Smith's from the fruit bowl of the McMahon-Helmsley suite. 

2000 Triple H was weird because he had lots of matches with "undercard" guys and made them look like a million dollars but never put Angle or Jericho over in the same way. 

Was it 2000 where had the SmackDown match against Rikishi which really made him a big deal? I remember Rikishi being a low-card comedy deal and the crowd buying a few near falls in a WWF Title match. After that, Too Cool really took off if memory serves me correctly. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Bret Hart's Buddy said:

Was it 2000 where had the SmackDown match against Rikishi which really made him a big deal? I remember Rikishi being a low-card comedy deal and the crowd buying a few near falls in a WWF Title match. After that, Too Cool really took off if memory serves me correctly. 

Yeah, I think that's the match Roy's referring to a few posts back. 

Obviously it's wrestling so leave logic at the door and that, but when you look at that early 2000 Triple H-Rikishi match in hindsight, it makes no sense that they were happily knocking the shit out of each other. Considering, storyline-wise, they were lurking around in the shadows and running down Austin with a car together at Survivor Series just weeks before that match. 

Archived