General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Trippier is better than Soares. If Walker does go, I can't see them replacing him. Trippier will be first choice and I reckon Kyle Walker..........Peters will be his back-up.

Other than possibly Walker, I can't see anyone of significance leaving Spuds this summer. The problem will be whether they bring in adequate signings to strengthen their depth. For instance, Janssen isn't a good enough back-up for Kane, unless Spurs can find a way of winning penalties all the time (Alli diving, I suppose).

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Looks like Everton might get Sigurdsson shortly. Made a bid of £40m and he's been left off Swansea's trip to the USA. Good player but I'm not sure he's £40m worth. Bids for Arnautovic being half the price seems ridiculous. Siggy will bring goals and assists and is far more consistent than Barkley.

• Paid Members

The only one that is probably is going is Walker and that's as much down to a falling out with Poch as it is for the fact that City want him. But even that isn't looking as likely as it once was.

I'd be very surprised if we sold any else of any significance. Alli to Barcelona? That's tabloid nonsense.

We have an issue in that we want to make quality signings to improve our squad but the kinds of players we want to sign are the kinds of players who want to play every week, and there aren't many if any slots in our first eleven that anyone we'd be signing can walk into.

• Paid Members

Alli to Barca was picking up pace again wasn't it? Messi and Suarez wanted him at the club and were pushing for it. I'd say your squad is probably the one that doesn't need meddling at all and it is bit part players you need in but a lot of the targets in mind that I mentioned aren't there yet (though your club has proven it can nurture talent well) or never will be good enough to even have a squad registration in a top 4 team. 

Its only funny for me as a few mates are die hard spurs fans but I really do hope you don't get rinsed and it is just Walker. Replacing Alli with the likes of Barkley (the only other rumour I've seen that could be a go) while not overly bad still is a drop down.

• Paid Members

It'd take Bale money to get Levy to sell Alli. And Alli isn't where Bale was in terms of quality just yet. We're about to rinse City for a player (Walker) who Poch doesn't even want anymore, despite his undoubted quality. 

Replacing Alli with Barkley would be the fucking most Spursy thing ever.

• Members
22 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

who would you replace Walker with? Seems the full back position in 2017 is basically a winger who can do the odd tackle! (unless you support wba like me)

We have Trippier, he doesn't need replacing. We just need a back up RB which we already have in Walker-Peters. 

Oh and Alli to Barcelona? Not for at least 2 years (and it'll be Madrid)

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I'd say your squad is probably the one that doesn't need meddling at all and it is bit part players you need

100% agree with this. I was bored the other day and was assessing the top PL clubs to see who needed what, and I couldn't think of a single position in Spurs' side that has to be improved. I mean sure, each position can be improved because they don't have the best player in the world in any given position, but there was no visible weakness. The other big clubs need at least 2/3 first XI players. Spurs desperately need depth in some areas- CB and the front line.

46 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

who would you replace Walker with?

As Bacon says, they have Trippier. I get the feeling that Trippier playing so much towards the end of the season was partly to see whether he could do the job should Walker leave.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

100% agree with this. I was bored the other day and was assessing the top PL clubs to see who needed what, and I couldn't think of a single position in Spurs' side that has to be improved. I mean sure, each position can be improved because they don't have the best player in the world in any given position, but there was no visible weakness. The other big clubs need at least 2/3 first XI players. Spurs desperately need depth in some areas- CB and the front line.

I've never rated Kyle Walker. To me, he's the obvious one. Never got what anyone sees in him. He's a good athlete but absolutely braindead and only effective going forward a small amount of the time. Trippier is much more contientious and delivers nicely. He doesn't have the blistering pace but is more effective.

It might be a form of "second season syndrome" but I've not been anywhere near as impressed with Dier this season as last for Spurs or England. Wanyama's decent too but not a patch on Kante for instance. I think they can improve there for sure. Dembele is great though.

The key area where I think they can improve is that they're a little one dimensional. I know that's harsh given the movement of Son, Eriksen and Alli gives teams hundreds of different problems in the same game but when things aren't going for them - particularly for Alli - they don't seem to have a game changer. Sissoko and Janssen have flopped. Lamela's dead. From that point of view, you can see why they're interested in someone like Ross Barkley.

• Paid Members

Dier lost out to how great Wanyama is. Completely disagree that we need to improve on Wanyama, though obviously if it were possible for us to go get a world class DM, we should do that, but I think Wanyama would walk into most sides in that position.  Dier, playing regularly in the DM position, he's class. Don't know how we're going to accommodate him except in defence, but certainly don't think we should sell him. Dembele is not getting any younger, I think Poch sees a lot in Winks for that position.

• Paid Members

So Walker to City is pretty much done...£50m. £50m! FIFTY FUCKING MILLION POUNDS. For a right back, and not even a brilliant one.

Levy strikes again, he's a ruthless and brilliant bastard sometimes. This is what happens when you release every single right back at your club...clubs sniff out your desperation and go in dry.

• Paid Members

He's English, he's in his prime, he runs fast, City need a RB, Alves went to PSG. 50M. Levy does rinse people though. I'm happy with that. Well, not happy. It would have been nice to keep him but his falling out with Poch plus a bid like that, not much you can do really.

EDIT: Also, with any luck, this influx of cash might push into bringing in a couple players ourselves. 

I'm utterly convinced that Levy did so much in the Berbatov to Man Utd deal than was let on.  Man Utd came in with a low offer on Jim White day so he gets on the blower to Citeh telling them to bid full whack knowing Berbs would never agree personal terms so Utd had to pay the extra 12 mill.  And that's without even getting into any deal he had about not reporting them for tapping up, given how the Sky cameras filmed Berbs and Fergie talking despite no offer being accepted.

I used to joke to my Man Utd friends that Levy won them the league that year by not reporting it and getting them a points deduction.

Archived