How to make a podcast

martinQblank

Recording a podcast on any phone is going to result in crap quality, even with a wind cover (Don King wig thing).  Editing will be a bitch too.

PC/desktop/Mac, with a good USB mic (Blue Snowball minimum, but the Blue Yeti is highly recommended), then a good editing/multi-track suite which can export to MP3.  

By all means, record on the phone, but edit on a computer. You'll need a title/intro track and no doubt other effects and music to seque between segments and edits. Don't rely on your interviewee being stunningly charismatic and giving you nothing but uneditable gold. Cut out the waffle smoothly, begin and end well, and it'll come off much more professional.

I'm happy to advise if you want; been doing audio production since 1989, analogue & now of course digital.  I think I have experience enough to be able to help.

PM me if you want.

• Paid Members

I've done plenty of podcasts, but normally over skype, but looking to do one next week in person with about 4-5 people around a table. If I got a Blue Yeti and my laptop is this likely to be enough, or do I need to get a mixer and a second mic? My knowledge on this is a bit patchy. 

Archived