ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members

But you're clearly in a BritWres~! bubble, fella. As I've already said, this WOS reboot isn't up my street and neither are the kind of the wrestling shows that fill up working men's pubs. But I can see the huge benefits of both even if they aren't aimed at me.

More people watching the ITV show, means more kids+parents go to their local 'Family Friendly AMERICAN PRO WRESTLING!!!' events, more so if the WOS lads will be on them. More people in seats means the wrestlers get better crowds to work with (and hopefully better pay days), shift more merch and, ultimately, they'll improve significantly faster.

As well as being fun for the boys, those holiday camp shows work wonders because you learn to work in front of bigger, more casaul crowds. So having the local shows be full to the brim will also have the same effect.

A healthy scene of family shows is the backbone of your Rev-Pro's and Riptides and FCP's. All the guys me and you would fawn over all got their start, and got to the point of being good enough to sell t-shirts to drunken arseholes like us, by working these shows.

Where do you think Travis Banks started when he landed in the UK? He worked my local fed and learnt to work in front of kids and mums and dads. He played a big, brash, arrogant character that people reacted to. He appeared on trainee shows. He took a DQ loss to a guy with a drunken Irish man gimmick! Then he also started to appear on FCP cards and the like and the rest is history. It's a time-tested system that works. Also, where do you think all our darlings are working in-between your TIDALs and OTTs? These exact same local shows!

I don't know how else I can explain it. Everyone benefits from WOS being on telly. This isn't 5-Star half arseing a wrestling show, it's prime time ITV. It's not put you off going to shows, it's not put me off going to shows and it's only going to encourage more people to GO TO SHOWS. Just because something isn't aimed at you or isn't to your tastes doesn't mean it is a detriment. Think of the bigger picture.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

But you're clearly in a BritWres~! bubble, fella. As I've already said, this WOS reboot isn't up my street and neither are the kind of the wrestling shows that fill up working men's pubs. But I can see the huge benefits of both even if they aren't aimed at me.

More people watching the ITV show, means more kids+parents go to their local 'Family Friendly AMERICAN PRO WRESTLING!!!' events, more so if the WOS lads will be on them. More people in seats means the wrestlers get better crowds to work with (and hopefully better pay days), shift more merch and, ultimately, they'll improve significantly faster.

As well as being fun for the boys, those holiday camp shows work wonders because you learn to work in front of bigger, more casaul crowds. So having the local shows be full to the brim will also have the same effect.

A healthy scene of family shows is the backbone of your Rev-Pro's and Riptides and FCP's. All the guys me and you would fawn over all got their start, and got to the point of being good enough to sell t-shirts to drunken arseholes like us, by working these shows.

Where do you think Travis Banks started when he landed in the UK? He worked my local fed and learnt to work in front of kids and mums and dads. He played a big, brash, arrogant character that people reacted to. He appeared on trainee shows. He took a DQ loss to a guy with a drunken Irish man gimmick! Then he also started to appear on FCP cards and the like and the rest is history. It's a time-tested system that works. Also, where do you think all our darlings are working in-between your TIDALs and OTTs? These exact same local shows!

I don't know how else I can explain it. Everyone benefits from WOS being on telly. This isn't 5-Star half arseing a wrestling show, it's prime time ITV. It's not put you off going to shows, it's not put me off going to shows and it's only going to encourage more people to GO TO SHOWS. Just because something isn't aimed at you or isn't to your tastes doesn't mean it is a detriment. Think of the bigger picture.

I give it three more weeks on ITV1

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, machinegunn said:

It would be another huge setback for British Wrestling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Wrestling

Are you attributing the decline in British Wrestling in the mid-00's to Celebrity Wrestling? 

Also, are you comparing the 'roster' of Celebrity fucking Wrestling to the roster of WoS?

Get to fuck. You see my long post up there? Go and re-read that and then realise that you posted a wiki link to Celebrity bastard fucking Wrestling as your comeback. What a stain. 

15 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Are you attributing the decline in British Wrestling in the mid-00's to Celebrity Wrestling? 

Also, are you comparing the 'roster' of Celebrity fucking Wrestling to the roster of WoS?

Get to fuck. You see my long post up there? Go and re-read that and then realise that you posted a wiki link to Celebrity bastard fucking Wrestling as your comeback. What a stain. 

My point is that this is how ITV view wrestling and with that view presented on their TV show they are not showing the quality of the UK scene. There are reasons it was dropped from TV in 1985, 2005 and August 2018.

4 minutes ago, machinegunn said:

My point is that this is how ITV view wrestling and with that view presented on their TV show they are not showing the quality of the UK scene. There are reasons it was dropped from TV in 1985, 2005 and August 2018.

What was the reason it was dropped in 1985 pray tell? Oh wait, that didn't happen did it?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, machinegunn said:

‘World Of Sport Wrestling’ isn’t a show to exhibit “flips and shit” matches. It’s an episodic TV programme. It’s designed to fit a specific format and time slot and appeal to the mass market and non-hardcore fans. This is not the televising of live wrestling events.

WOS is more akin to Love Island than the broadcast of a Premier League match. It just so happens the cast of World Of Sport can also be seen performing on live events up and down the country, just like soap stars past and present star in pantomimes over Christmas.

You need to grasp the difference between a produced TV programme and live entertainment.

3 hours ago, machinegunn said:

haha, I thought you made some good points until you showed your level of intelligence with your final line. Shame.

Well I stand by my statement. You have ignored everybody else's arguments, not even providing half decent reasons to shoot them down. This makes me feel you understand the arguments but just won't let it go and are far too stubborn. You sadly want a show to fail as you don't like it. This is not shitty 5 star wrestling, which conned people out of money and to be honest did a disservice as it did not book UK talent very well, this is a show that could really give a good nudge to wrestling in the UK as they are the focal point. People like Joe Hendry, Rampage, Kip Sabian etc all have a right to be focal points in my view.  

2 hours ago, Tamura said:

What was the reason it was dropped in 1985 pray tell? Oh wait, that didn't happen did it?

erm, I may be not a fan of the new WOS but you need to read your history books. Get a copy of Simon Garfields The Wrestling, its all in there.

Archived