Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Euro Disney was my first trip abroad. Think we went the year after it opened.

Me around 9, my brother 6 and my gran and grandad.

Bits that at stand out from memory:

- Nob head spilled a drink over himself on day 1, hour 1. We spent half the day looking for clothes to buy a 5 year old from the Disney stores... easy enough right? Not when your grandad refuses to buy anything over a tenner, didn’t get on a ride until mid afternoon.

- small world after all... nob head wandered off just before going on the ride... my gran without thinking just reached down and grabbed a child’s hand.. the wrong child. She didn’t even notice until the mover ran 50 yards to get her daughter back. We then had to spend nearly an hour explaining to French attendants why the woman was going nuts.

- what we thought was a pirate/cave log flume, ended up being more of a water roller coaster, my grandad nearly shit himself.

- there was a small outdoor stage and seating area, there was posters of Michael Jackson, man in the mirror was on repeat, I was convinced the king of pop was going to come out and perform live at any moment. So we sat down, no one else did, we waited for over an hour.

- a bloke 20 years younger than my gran tried it on with her, my grandad watched and chuckled for 5 minutes before rolling up a news paper and shouting ‘FUCK OFF’ in the blokes face, he did, my grandad continued to chuckle.

Cracking holiday.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Euro Disney was my first trip abroad. Think we went the year after it opened.

Me around 9, my brother 6 and my gran and grandad.

Bitsthat stand out from memory:

- Nob head spilled a drink over himself on day 1, hour 1. We spent half the day looking for clothes to buy a 5 year old from the Disney stores... easy enough right? Not when your grandad refuses to buy anything over a tenner, didn’t get on a ride until mid afternoon.

- small world after all... nob head wandered off just before going on the ride... my gran without thinking just reached down and grabbed a child’s hand.. the wrong child. She didn’t even notice until the mover ran 50 yards to get her daughter back. We then had to spend nearly an hour explaining to French attendants why the woman was going nuts.

- what we thought was a pirate/cave log flume, ended up being more of a water roller coaster, my grandad nearly shit himself.

- there was a small outdoor stage and seating area, there was posters of Michael Jackson, man in the mirror was on repeat, I was convinced the king of pop was going to come out and perform live at any moment. So we sat down, no one else did, we waited for over an hour.

- a bloke 20 years younger than my gran tried it on with her, my grandad watched and chuckled for 5 minutes before rolling up a news paper and shouting ‘FUCK OFF’ in the blokes face, he did, my grandad continued to chuckle.

Cracking holiday.

bloody hell sounds a right mare. That Michael Jackson area was for Captain EO, a 4D film in the building behind it. They re-showed it after Jacko died for a few years. Directed by Francis Ford Copala, produced by George Lucas, was once the most expensive film of all time based on its 18 minute run time.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

bloody hell sounds a right mare. That Michael Jackson area was for Captain EO, a 4D film in the building behind it. They re-showed it after Jacko died for a few years. Directed by Francis Ford Copala, produced by George Lucas, was once the most expensive film of all time based on its 18 minute run time.

Is that what it was? I’ve never had a clue. It was raining, I remember that.

• Paid Members

First couple of weeks in May will be lovely.  Warm enough without being too sweaty, and the parks are not too busy at that time either.

If it’s your first time, I’d reccomend getting the Brits Guide.  Being honest, I am good friends with the authors, but it is an incredible guide for getting the best out of the holiday.

Theres a great site called thedibb.co.uk which is a really good planning and advice forum. I've been more times than I can count and I still learnt a lot from that site in the run up to our recent trip. 

How old are your kids? If you are going to be mainly in Disney have you considered staying on site? Only their free disney dining offer will be launching soon (think before the start of april) and is genuinely a pretty good offer for a family. Otherwise, any time to book really, except for flights be on the look out for flight sales etc. Maybe consider trying to build up some reward points with airlines through a linked credit card before then? We got our flights for two adults and a child for £750 by booking during the BA sale and using avios points for £500 off.

Cheers, they'll be just turned 8 and 4 at the time of travelling. The free dining option is something we're going to look at but pricewise it just seems to be a good chunk more expensive to book a resort through one of the main operators  Our main thought on doing the villa method is to give us some more freedom, we stayed on site and some evenings when we were knackered we just stayed in the room and chilled, we're thinking that doing that with 2 kids also might be a bit cramped and they'll go stir crazy. It's partly that, but also staying at a villa lets us be a bit more open to trying other dining options around Orlando or just cook at the villa ourselves if we fancy it. So far based on May 2017 prices I've found flights to be around £1200 for the four of us, accommodation £1100 and tickets for Disney and Universal for the 14 days at around £2400, that's around a £2000 saving on booking into a disney resort (without adding a dining plan).

One of the driving factors of going for our honeymoon was to make that trip all about us, so that when we took the kids it could be all about them, I'm happy to do a bit of driving to avoid lots of bus journeys, and the more we save getting there the more we can spend on them while we're there.

Yeah, we went with the villa this time and it just really struck me how much food, car, fuel, parking etc cost. For the 2 weeks all of that came to well over £2000 itself. We basically decided that we would wait a few years until the kids are a bit older and then go with the dining option and stay at Disney. Purely stick to the Disney parks and resort and then in a few years again when the kids are old enough to really enjoy Universal go with the villa option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Disney have announced a €2 billion expansion of the Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris, including a Star Wars land and Marvel land: http://disneylandparis-news.com/en/disney-announces-transformative-multi-year-expansion-for-disneyland-paris/

Rolling out in phases from 2021 apparently but when it’s there, I’m there! If I’m allowed.

From the picture it looks like a smaller version of Galaxies Edge which I'm not that keen on, I hate them lazily just repeating stuff in different parks. But the Frozen land will be quite original I hope and this is probably the start of them rolling out mass Marvel lands everywhere (including DCA soon).

Im struggling to remember the layout of the park though, is that long walk way towards the lake completely new? Or was it always there leading into their Toy Story bit? It does look a bit plain but I'm sure they'll eventually theme it with rows of shops etc.

49 minutes ago, Van Dammer said:

From the picture it looks like a smaller version of Galaxies Edge which I'm not that keen on, I hate them lazily just repeating stuff in different parks. But the Frozen land will be quite original I hope and this is probably the start of them rolling out mass Marvel lands everywhere (including DCA soon).

Im struggling to remember the layout of the park though, is that long walk way towards the lake completely new? Or was it always there leading into their Toy Story bit? It does look a bit plain but I'm sure they'll eventually theme it with rows of shops etc.

going by the image, the lake and Star Wars land is going in to the Backstage Tour area and some of the parking lot that was there. The marvel section is going where Armageddon and Lights Motors, Action is currently. I wonder if they will scrap that or turn into into a marvel themed stunt show?

Does it say work will begin by 2021 or the first phase will be ready then? Considering 2022 will be the 30th anniversary year

• Paid Members

MaxPass > FastPass+...wayyy better...so...is @Disneyland > @WaltDisneyWorld? 🤔🤔🤔

Thats a copy and paste from Zack Ryder's tweet. What does he mean? He's always at Disney Land. Is he referring to some sort of ticketing system?

Has anyone seen the new roller coaster at Alton Towers?

Edited by BigJag

4 hours ago, BigJag said:

MaxPass > FastPass+...wayyy better...so...is @Disneyland > @WaltDisneyWorld? 🤔🤔🤔

Thats a copy and paste from Zack Ryder's tweet. What does he mean? He's always at Disney Land. Is he referring to some sort of ticketing system?

Fastpass is a ticketing system which allows you to get a return time slot for a ride, but you can only have one at a time so when the first one has been used you can get another. It is free. Maxpass is $10 per person per day and allows you to do everything via an app rather then having to go to the ride que. Basically it is a more deluxe version of the current service.