The History of the WWE Championship.

Max Power

It's true of music too. My main bugbear in the charts of the last twenty years is the lack of mature voices. You'd never get the likes of Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes leading the soundtrack of a movie like Dirty Dancing nowadays. It would be someone aged 19-24 squeaking about what a long, hard road they've travelled.

Anyway, bring me my slippers and get off my lawn.

Your not alone! I prefer the older adult look of yesteryear!

It's actually mad but Quake was 26 when he had his Run with Hulk (looked 45), and when he left in 93 (and was seen as done as top level) he was barely 30. Madness really

Saying that King Kong Bundy was only 28 during his Hogan run.

Everyone looked older then, He'll Jake was only 32-33 during his peak.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree that Slaughter was good and the more I've seen of him, the higher my opinion has become. My first exposure to him was in 91 though and at that time he looked old (older than he really was too) and had a fair tummy on him. He really didn't look right as a world champion. As it was presented though, he won it only because of Macho Man's interference and transitioned the belt to Hogan quite rapidly. Never was he presented as a truly deserving champion.

All that said, even at that time, I liked his wrestling. It was always a bit weird reading magazines and finding how poorly regarded he seemed to be at the time. The Warrior match is fine (Royal Rumble 91 remains one of my favourite shows to this day), the Hogan match from Mania is quite good I think and the tag match from SummerSlam is as good as a match with The Ultimate Warrior and The Iron Sheik in 1991 was ever likely to be. He always seemed to put in the effort and over-the-turnbuckle bump still looks awesome today as well.

I hated Slaughter and that fantastically smug look - ergo he was doing his job perfectly.

Kinda hated how his turn was a random run in saving Duggan out of nowhere! Was all abit pointless as was never going to go anywhere. Really the payoff was transitioning the belt back to Hogan. After tht I had no interest in him when the feud ended.

He was only 42-43 at the time But seemed really old. Mad that he was actually 3-4 years younger than Jericho is now and just a few older than AJ.

TBH they all looked old then. Hogan was 38 in 91 for Christ sake.

• Paid Members

Ah, I thought it was the Slaughter he was used to.

And I would argue with that. I would watch Sgt Slaughter over the Ultimate Warrior all day

Slaughter's signature turnbuckle bump has to be one of the best in the history of the game.

DATE: March 24th 1991

CHAMPION: Sargent Slaughter

CHALLENGER: Hulk Hogan

Well fuck me, it's Bobby Heenan. Fantastic to have you on board Mr Brain. Slaughter is out first with Adnan to decent heat. Hang on, there's a third voice. It's Regis Philbin apparently. Heenan moans that the Champ should be out second, he's right of course. Here comes Hulk. Great pop from the 100,000 present at the LA Colliseum. I jest.

The bell rings and Hogan is straight to the outside chasing after Adnan. Its funny watching him run. Slaughter must be steaming hot under all that gear. He hasn't got the winkle picker boots on. BOOOOOO. Slaughter disrobes. HOGANHOGANHOGAN chant the fans, and to be fair they're pretty noisy after a long show. Gorilla says that this is the "largest audience ever in the history of pay per view" How does he know that at this point the lying bastard.

Regis has never seen a crowd like this. They lock up. Ref break. Hogan shoves the ref and goes back for Sarge. USAUSAUSA. Shove from Hulk. Slaughter complains about a hair pull. "At least he has some to pull Monsoon". Oh Heenan, you're a genius. "GIMMEABREAK Brain". It's warm and fuzzy listen to the two men talking.

Headlock from Hulk. Hogan off the ropes and a shoulder block sends the Champ regrouping to the outside. Hogan follows and lays the blows in. Heenan talks about winning the war and not the battle. Ouch, not sure about that one. Slaughter waffles Hogan whilst he's busy with Adnan, and Christ it is the fakest looking shot ever. Back inside and Slaughter begs off before a thumb to the eye.

Slaughter in control now and hits some decent looking punches. Irish whip and an elbow. Punches. Flair knees. But he misses the elbow drop. Hogan back up. Punches. Clothesline. Heenan invites Regis to Slaughter's victory party but the latter can't make it. Funny exchange. Hogan hits Sarge in "the kisser". Atomic drop gets a two count. Slaughter to the outside and Hogan hits a picture perfect back rake. Back in the ring and Hulk with another elbow. Two count.

There's the recently mentioned Slaughter turnbuckle bump. BIGBACKBODYDROP. Twelve feet in the air according to The Weasel. Turnbuckle bump again. Catapult. Lovely turnbuckle based offence here. Punches. Hogan seems to be losing his cool. He wants to kill Slaughter not beat him. Ten punch in the corner. The crowd are with them all. Two count. This is basically a squash so far. Hogan to the top. And fuck knows what that was. Half an axe handle. Scoop Slam. Elbow. Hogan up again. Adnan grabs the ankle and Slaughter launches the Challenger from the top.

Sarge on top now. Clothesline over the top. Slaughter grabs a chair. That's a better shot, nice and solid. And another one. Regis felt that one. Choke with the electrical chord. "Resourcefulness" according to The Brain. Back in the ring and Sarge implores Hulk to get up. Some tired looking offence now. Back breaker. Two count. The Champ moans, he thought it was three.

The crowd are behind The Hulk as he sells Slaughter's blows like they're sledgehammer shots. Great stuff. Boston Crab from Sarge, Regis thinks Hogan can't get out of that. Hogan is an inch from the ropes but instead of grabbing them Hogan wait's for the crowd to get behind him and tries to power out. He then thinks fuck it and grabs the ropes. Odd. Brain speaks fluent Iraqi apparently and says he heard Adnan say Hogan gave up. Or something.

Sarge to the top now! Wow, single foot stomp to the kidneys. Slaughter covers but Adnan has the refereee distracted. What a bag of wank. This happened in an earlier match I saw. Why is the heel manager talking to the ref whilst his man has the cover. Bizarre. Slaughter with the visual win whilst all this is happening. Hogan kicks out at two. Slaughter goes back to the chair and smacks Hulk again. Two count. Hulk has the Crimson Mask. "But he's still on his feet" says Gorilla, just as Hogan hits the canvass following an elbow.

Camel Clutch here now. Great visual with the blood. Like Stone Cold at Mania 13. Clutch again. Hogan is beginning to feed off the crowd. He's a master. Hogan powers out! But Slaughter reverses Hogan's reversal. Sarge drapes the flag on Hulk but no, Hogan flips out and rips it up. It's Hulk Up time. Punch, no. Punch, no. Finger wag. Punch. Punch. Big Boot. Leg Drop for the one....two....three. Slaughter kicks out on the three, which is a bit shitty for him to do. "What a comeback" says Regis, and there we are.

RATING: I'd never actually watched this before in its entirity. And you know what? It isn't too bad. Hogan's comebacks are timed to perfection as you would expect. Slaughter plays the heel twat very well too. I have a problem with the Adnan spot during the visual cover though. Just defies logic.

1. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v Hulk Hogan

2. Hulk Hogan v The Ultimate Warrior

3. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase

4. Sargent Slaughter v Hulk Hogan

5. The Ultimate Warrior v Sargent Slaughter

6. The Iron Sheik v Hulk Hogan

7. Hulk Hogan v Andre The Giant

--

It's time for Hogan to rest in peace.

Going back a few posts to wrestlers old before their time, Buzz Sawyer wins that easily. He was only in something like his early 20s when he did The Last Battle of Atlanta. He looked 50.

This is absolutely right. When I first saw WCW on ITV in late 89 or early 90, aged about 7, I distinctly remember thinking that Buzz as well as Ole and Arn Anderson were like wrestling grandads.

Oddly, Big Daddy actually looked quite like my grandad in the 80s but my grandad was in his mid 70s at the time whereas big Shirley would have been in his mid 50s. Or, to look at it another way, around the age Undertaker and Bill Goldberg are today.

Edited by Dudley Eastbank

DATE: November 27th 1991

CHAMPION: Hulk Hogan

CHALLENGER: The Undertaker

A lovely bit of life changing information is that this event was held on my 9th birthday. I wasn't watching wrestling at this point because Dad said that it was fake rubbish.

Undertaker is out first with Paul Bearer. Various close up of kids in the audience who look shit scared of him. "His Gravest Challenge" muses Monsoon, who has the call alongside Heenan. The Brain thinks Hogan is going to be put to rest shortly. Nice ginger beard that Taker sports. Here comes Hogan to another monster pop. He surveys the arena like that time on Smackdown in 2002. Grown men have signs that say HULKAMANIA 4EVER. Unreal. Taker looks nonplussed but Bearer gurns. Great expressions from him. Undertaker has a lovely wet perm.

"Both men approximately the same size" says Monsoon. And he's right. Hulk dodges an early attack showing "that quickness and that agility". Side headlock from Hogan. Bearer holds the urn. And a knockdown from Taker. Hogan to the outside and he looks at the crowd as if to say "what the hell is that?" Unluckily though, he's stood right by a middle aged bloke who gives him a big thumbs down. Choke from Undi. Punches. Hogan's head is very shiny. Taker is breathing like Darth Vader.

"Taker trying to rip the face off Hogan". "What a rip off". "WILLYOUSTOPIT". Bearer chokes Hogan whilst the ref is distracted. Body slam from Undertaker. But he misses the elbow drop, Serious air miles from "The Big Guy". Hogan can't pick him up to slam him. Heenan screams that Hulkamania is dead as Hulk can't knock Callaway off his feet. Hogan rocks Taker with right hands and a clothesline sends him to the outside but he lands on his feet. Taker back in control by ramming Hogan onto the steel steps. Hogan puts the hands down and his head is a foot from the step. Choke with the chord. Bearer's mannerisms are masterful. OOOOOHHH YEEEEAAAASSSSS as he presents The Urn for all to see.

Back in the ring and more chokes. The commentators talk about Undertaker's tattoo, which makes me smile as I think of Taker visiting a tattoo parlour in Death Valley whilst Bearer holds The Urn. More chokes. Crowd has been dead for a lot of this. The bloke in the front row (Vladmir?) dressed like Hogan tries to get them going. They aren't buying it though and don't care. Minor Hogan chants now as Taker fucking chokes him again. Two count off another choke. And another two count. This is shit so far.

Off camera Bearer screams YYYYEEEEAAAASSS which I think has been the highlight of the last ten minutes. Heenan is excited because Hogan is in big time trouble. Undertaker rolls the eyes back into his head. "Look at that Monsoon, he has no eyeballs. Jesus Christ". Hogan is fighting back now and he breaks out of the choke. Kick. Shoulder block, but Undertaker hits the flying clothesline he would use for the next twenty five years. He's got almost a ginger afro now.

Tombstone from Undertaker and Hogan pops straight back up. Fucking shit. I can suspend disbelief for a Hulk Up, but not that. The crowd like it. Punch. Block. Punch. Block. Hogan off the ropes Punch. Taker reeling. Down to one knee. Eye rake from Hogan. But here's FLAIR. Scoop Slam from Hogan and he runs the ropes but he spots Bearer and is distracted. Hogan knocks Flair down. Hulk back in. Big Boot. Off the ropes but Bearer clings on. Referee is preoccupied with Paul and "has lost control of this one" bemoans Gorilla. Here comes Tombstone number two and Flair slides in a chair for good measure. Bang, what shitty execution as there is so much daylight showing. One...two...three. Huge crowd pop, which is interesting. People nearest the hard camera actually punch the air. And Hogan doesn't move after the count, which I like. He sells the finish like a pro.

RATING: Not great. In previous Hogan matches, when the action was shit the crowd participation bumped up the overall package. But here, there's just nothing there. There's a lot of tumbleweed for long portions of the heel beatdown. The ending was badly executed - now I don't want Hogan's head exposed between Taker's knees in an Austin Stylee, but I don't want a foot and a half of daylight either. The face pop at the end was intriguing, and was the first sign here that maybe Hogan's star was waning a little. But, as mentioned above, seven years on top is a hell of a run.

RANKING:

1. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v Hulk Hogan

2. Hulk Hogan v The Ultimate Warrior

3. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase

4. Sargent Slaughter v Hulk Hogan

5. The Ultimate Warrior v Sargent Slaughter

6. Hulk Hogan v The Undertaker

7. The Iron Sheik v Hulk Hogan

8. Hulk Hogan v Andre The Giant

--

See you on Tuesday.

• Paid Members

Tombstone from Undertaker and Hogan pops straight back up. Fucking shit. I can suspend disbelief for a Hulk Up, but not that. The crowd like it. Punch. Block. Punch. Block. Hogan off the ropes Punch. Taker reeling. Down to one knee. Eye rake from Hogan. But here's FLAIR. Scoop Slam from Hogan and he runs the ropes but he spots Bearer and is distracted. Hogan knocks Flair down. Hulk back in. Big Boot. Off the ropes but Bearer clings on. Referee is preoccupied with Paul and "has lost control of this one" bemoans Gorilla. Here comes Tombstone number two and Flair slides in a chair for good measure. Bang, what shitty execution as there is so much daylight showing. One...two...three. Huge crowd pop, which is interesting. People nearest the hard camera actually punch the air. And Hogan doesn't move after the count, which I like. He sells the finish like a pro.

RATING: Not great. In previous Hogan matches, when the action was shit the crowd participation bumped up the overall package. But here, there's just nothing there. There's a lot of tumbleweed for long portions of the heel beatdown. The ending was badly executed - now I don't want Hogan's head exposed between Taker's knees in an Austin Stylee, but I don't want a foot and a half of daylight either. The face pop at the end was intriguing, and was the first sign here that maybe Hogan's star was waning a little. But, as mentioned above, seven years on top is a hell of a run.

The 15-year-old me was a bit confused by that, but I eventually figured out what had happened:

20161215_165604.jpg

Seeing a tombstone get no-sold must be up there with watching The Rock doing the people's elbow to no crowd reaction in terms of "bizarre as fuck to see today" wrestling

It's odd when moves that before and since are match finishers get no sold. Others that spring to mind are

Pedigree: warrior vs hhh

Savage elbow; every Hogan vs savage match! - also hated it when savage used it to wake Hogan in wcw...... ugh

DDT: jake vs taker wm8