The Undertaker in WCW

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Sorry if you don't like "What if...?" stuff - this thread isn't for you.

Thinking about whether WCW could have tempted 'Taker across and what they would have done with him. Thought we might get some cool ideas.

So when do you think he could have been tempted to WCW? Upto 1998, no chance of him going after that.

What would you call him? Don't say "Mean Mark" you unfunny fucker :)

What would the gimmick be and what would you do with him?

I'll start with the obvious. He'd have made a hell of a third man in the nWo if that was at all feasible. I wouldn't have wanted him to be "Mark Callaway" though like Nash and Hall just used their real names. He'd need a gimmick name that played on Undertaker. Like The Terminator or Dark Angel or something. He'd essentially be Biker Taker, knocking fuck out of WCW guys with Nash and Hall and murdering Hulk Hogan.

That'd change the course of wrestling history. Not sure it'd be for the betterment of WCW but it'd hurt the WWF a lot.

Murdering Hulk Hogan...until the hot dog man played his creative control and uttered the words "nah, that ain't gonna work for me, brother dude".

If he was ever to go, I reckon it would have been a similar time to when Nash & Hall went over, maybe even towards the back end of 1995 when Vince was practically on his knees and Taker was still feuding with anyone that nicked the urn, but even then it would be a question of whether of not WCW would have been interested or not. After the whole Survivor Series/Tuesday In Texas fiasco in 91, Taker for me wasn't overly interesting until the Mankind feud in mid 96. That's a hell of a long time of not doing very much, but then again they did bring in people like Duggan and Greg Valentine, so I suppose anything was possible.

Ideally, I'd like him to the uber Satanic version of himself that we got in the attitude era, but again that probably wouldn't have been allowed to fly in WCW

He's a man who dishes out more punishment than is strictly necessary.

Delivering hidings that surpass anyone's quota for pain and suffering.

Ladies and gentlemen, he is...

The Overgiver.

• Paid Members

He'd almost certianly have come in as a similar enough, but not so similar to get sued sort of gimmick in late 95 as something like The Reaper, or something stupid like 'Darkness' or 'Demon' Mark Callaway/Callous. Just because WCW.

In all honesty, I don't think he would ever have gone because he seems like someone very protective of his gimmick, and he would have to have known that he would never get that sort control in WCW. Also, they wouldn't have known what to do with him, he'd have ended up teaming with Bryan Clark or in some silliness with Glacier after a while. 

Here's the immediate scenario that comes to mind:

Despite a rumble of Attitude in the waters WWE is still hemorrhaging money in 1997 and a dispute with the pay of his long term contract versus his loyalty to Vince being shattered after Montreal results in him debuting at Starrcade as the show closes. Sting is on the shoulders of the WCW locker room. The lights go down. The lights come up. That'll teach you to miss a WCW PPV, motherfuckers.

We'll call him Gravemind because this is seven years before Halo 2 and it sounds cool to me. You do a year build to the next Starrcade which has the dual main events of Sting/Gravemind and Hogan/Goldberg. The battle of souls could draw well enough by itself but it you wanna give it the title Hogan/Goldberg can be a streak match for the #1 contendership at Superbrawl 1999.

$$$$$$$

I remember reading somewhere that Bischoff wasn't really interested in Undertaker because he thought it would only work by keeping a similar gimmick, and at the time there was already various lawsuits flying back and forth.

And he was right. It would never have worked. The Undertaker is the greatest gimmick ever and would have fell flat on it's face if he had come in as anything other than that. 

The only thing I can think of is some kind of 'Man with no name' Clint Eastwood Western character where he keeps the mystique of the original deadman but isn't necessarily all thunder and lightning and gongs. More 'Ain't No Grave' style Undertaker.

• Paid Members

I remember reading somewhere that Bischoff wasn't really interested in Undertaker because he thought it would only work by keeping a similar gimmick, and at the time there was already various lawsuits flying back and forth.

And he was right. It would never have worked. The Undertaker is the greatest gimmick ever and would have fell flat on it's face if he had come in as anything other than that.

Nah, he's lying like he often does. Undertaker is the greatest gimmick but by 1996, it was well established that he was The Undertaker. It wasn't some guy in a gimmick you could easily just replace like Razor Ramon.

Hall and Nash got over and drew massively because of who they'd been in the WWF. And they'd not been anywhere near as popular as The Undertaker.

If he'd come down the ramp on his bike to Kid Rock and battered half the nWo like his Judgement Day 2000 return I reckon they could've gotten away with both changing the gimmick and using his real name. He looked the fucking bollocks that night.

If he had turned up as the nWo's third man, then (fantasy booking alert) I could see him tipping the contents of an urn into the centre of the ring and declaring that "these are the ashes of WCW," simultaneously shedding his old gimmick while spelling out his new one.

Archived