Put together your fight camp...

John Matrix

• Paid Members

I started this thread many moons ago and was soundly bollocked for it back when MMA was very much the red headed stepchild of the board.

Only problem now, is I'm so out of touch with the sport that I'd struggle to know who the elite were these days, but I still thought, now that there's a dedicated MMA board, it might make for a little fun discussion.

...and in order to shame fatties like me, you could even be weightclass specific in your choices if you really wanted to go the extra mile.

So, who'd you bring in to prepare you for your big UFC debut, assuming of course, that money wasn't a factor.

Some of my choices will look a little dated these days I'm sure, but it'll get you proper lot started I hope..

Head Coach:  Firas Zahabi, a cool head in my corner and proven strategist, i'll need both of those the first time I'm punched in the face and want to go home crying.

Striking: Mike Winklejohn.  When you look at guys like Jones and Condit who have such entertaining styles, it's hard for me to look elsewhere - I briefly considered Duke Roufus as his guys burst on to the scene doing all sorts of crazy stuff, but win ratio makes this a relative no brainer.

Wrestling: I'd bring in Chael Sonnen.  I know he isn't a coach per se, but he has a coaching background and despite the lack of shenanigans during his series of TUF, came across as a guy that truly cared about his fighters.  Plus at one point the guy had the most suffocating ground game in the sport to the point where, if you can get off your back against Chael, I think you'd be pretty confident if you found yourself on the mat. 

BJJ: Matt Serra.  Legit credentials - former world champ and coach to some of the most promising up and comers in the sport, plus, I imagine, a ton of fun to be around which would give me a reason to get to the gym every day and face the horrors that await.

Diet/Nutrition:  I'm a junk food addict, so I'd have to bring in Mike Dolce (is he even around the sport anymore).  What he managed to do with guys like Thiago Alves was mindblowing...even more so if he does in fact get him down to '55.

Training partners.  I'd bring in Bisping who I think would be great for sparring and to push my cardio, Damien Maia to violate me repeatedly on the ground again working on the theory that if I can survive that onslaught, I needn't worry against a lesser grappler and maybe someone like Frankie Edgar for his ability to transition and put things together as well as he does.

So yeah, probably not the most inspiring of lists, but it'd be interesting to know who those of you with a more current knowledge of the sport would want to work with.

• Paid Members

I don't know too much about this sort of detail, but figured that, if I was a fighter with this sort of access, I'd have Freddy Roach working with me on my boxing, Khabib Nurmagomedov on my wrestling, no-one better than Demian Maia for BJJ, amd Mike Dolce for diet/nutrition. Maybe even get Marius Pudzianowski to help me with my strength training.

• Moderators

No Erik Paulson makes me cry.

My most important trainer would be my only one - Lew Hicks. He invented Scientific Aggressive Fighting Technologies of America, or SAFTA for short. An all encompassing fighting system used by the Navy Seals of which he was one, and has a banging moustache.

• Paid Members

I think your choices are a little dated to be honest Matrix.

For leg lock training, I'm getting hold of (still) 'The World's Most Dangerous Man' Ken Shamrock.

I'll also need an upper body submission for variety and who better to teach me than a man who has won 100% of his MMA fights via Kimura? Giant Silva.

For striking, I'm going to need to learn cool moves like the liver kick and palm thrust, so I am hiring Bas Rutten.

For skin care, I'll also be hiring Bas Rutten.

Bas Rutten will also be my commentary coach for the camp.

For promo work, I'll be needing the 'uncharistmatic enigma' Ben Rothwell.

I generally struggle to keep muscle mass on, so will be needing a man who knows how to keep in prime fighting trim at all times. Akebono will help me out on diet.

He's been dead nearly ten years, but for beard and moustache advice, I'll be resurrecting Evan Tanner.

Finally, I will need a life coach to help out in the 23 hours of the day when I'm not doing promos or leg lock training. So I will be fishing with Brock Lesnar.

I'm confident that I could defeat CM Punk after a couple of weeks with this crack team.

Head Coach:  Greg Jackson, proven coach, always has a gameplan.

Striking: Bang Ludwig, did wonders for Dillashaw's game. Either him or Duke Rufus, it was a close call.

Wrestling:Guivi Sissaouri & Victor Zilberman, GSP's wrestling coaches, took someone with zero wrestling background and turned him into one of the most dominant wrestlers in the UFC.

BJJ: John Danaher, has some absolute killers at the minute in the BJJ world. Eddie Bravo was a close second just because he'd be amusing to talk to.

Diet/Nutrition:Mike Dolce, Since Im terrible at eating healthy Id need someone good at weight cutting.

Training partners. Frankie Edgar and DJ

• Paid Members

He's been dead nearly ten years, but for beard and moustache advice, I'll be resurrecting Evan Tanner.

Fucking hell, it really has been that long since Tanner died, hasn't it? That's absolutely flown by.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, it really has been that long since Tanner died, hasn't it? That's absolutely flown by.

That floored me a bit when I looked up how long ago it was. He was the first big name death I recall from when I started getting into MMA. The story of his demise where he just went out into the desert and didn't come back is haunting and absolutely in keeping with almost everything else I remember about the bloke. An absolute free spirit .

Archived