Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

I mentioned in the questions thread that I was picking up an Amazon Echo (dot). I know it seems gimmicky, but it's actually really good. I've got it linked to Spotify, for instance, and was just like "Alexa, play some late night jazz." It's connected via bluetooth to my stereo speakers so it works well. I can also get Alexa to order me an Uber ride, give me a news briefing, sports scores, recepies, etc. Now, I could do all this from my phone but it's fun when you're just chilling in the living room and am being lazy. And even though it's the smaller version of the Echo, it hears you really well even while listening to music. Now all I need is smart lighting and a smart thermostat and bang. The Echo Dot is only Ā£50. Recommended.

• Paid Members

More Amazon love:

Ā 

I mentioned in another thread that my cheapo (well, Ā£200 at the time) Asus X200CA laptop Ā had just randomly died on me. Googling tells me this is a common issue with this line of laptops. There's a fix involving removing the battery and all this malarky but I'd have to take the thing apart since it doesn't have a removeable battery. Asus support are notoriously bad about helping people with this issue.

Ā 

So on a whim I had a live chat with Amazon, where I purchased the laptop from in September 2015, and after a literal 2 minute conversation they said send it back for a full refund. I don't know if they do this for everyone or they looked at my account and see how much I spend with them or what but I thought that was pretty cool given it was over a year later.

Ā 

This after last week getting a refund for a graphic novel I bought that was listed as "Used - Acceptable" but when it arrived the cover was completely detached from the book. They issued me a refund and said keep the book.

• Paid Members

I love Amazon, and eagerly await the day they are installed as the one world government. We've started using Amazon Fresh for about 95% of our groceries, and it's mint - dirt cheap, convenient, and they just refunded us half the cost of our last order unprompted, because it was a bit late. Also, we got a pumpkin for free because it's Halloween. I wouldn't be surprised if they look at your spending and just throw great customer service and deals at you for that reason, and we spend incredible amounts with them.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I spend a shitload with them. I'm sure it has something to do with that.Ā 

Ā 

Might start looking at Amazon Fresh as an alternative to Tesco home delivery depending on prices.

Ā 

By the way, has anyone got any experience with Amazon refunding to debit card accounts? They've given me an advance refund based on my sending the laptop back (which I did this morning) and said it'll take 3-10 working days to reach me. Does it really take that long?

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

They're tax avoiding cunts.

Ā 

I find their search engine to be dog shit too. You can't sort search results by price unless you pick a category first, but then you can't be sure every version of something you're looking for is listed in the same category.

Ā 

Then when you do pick a category, the first 37 pages are filled with 1p items that are nothing like the thing you searched for.

Ā 

Navigate to the site, search for the thing you want, sort by price, buy the cheapest version. Surely it isn't just me that follows that user journey!?

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members

Amazon's efficiency and exemplary customer service override any concerns I might have about their corporate culture. It might be selfish but it's true. There are numerous times when I've gone out to the High Street to make a big purchase, become exacerbated by the experience and gone home and ordered off Amazon.

• Moderators

Ā 

Ā 

They're tax avoiding cunts.

I find their search engine to be dog shit too. You can't sort search results by price unless you pick a category first, but then you can't be sure every version of something you're looking for is listed in the same category.

Ā 

Then when you do pick a category, the first 37 pages are filled with 1p items that are nothing like the thing you searched for.

Ā 

Navigate to the site, search for the thing you want, sort by price, buy the cheapest version. Surely it isn't just me that follows that user journey!?

I sort highest first because I'm a total baller.

• Members

Just been in a deeply enthralling conversation in the office about the little pocket on a pair of jeans. Turns out it was actually put there as a watch pocket back in the day but noone generally carries a pocket watch now (hipsters), so the question is what do YOU keep in there?? Is this pocket obsolete? Handy place for a lighter? Narcotics?

Ā 

I keep a Vick's inhaler stick in mine. Especially handy around this time of year.Ā 

• Paid Members

Like most people, IĀ generally keep a selection of fresh seafood dishesĀ there. Lobsters in clam volute, sea bass with cabbage,Ā the occasional red snapper. Otherwise I keep an ornate 19th century dining table in one pocket and a life sized marble bust of Zippy from Rainbow in the other.

• Members

Like most people, IĀ generally keep a selection of fresh seafood dishesĀ there. Lobsters in clam volute, sea bass with cabbage,Ā the occasional red snapper. Otherwise I keep an ornate 19th century dining table in one pocket and a life sized marble bust of Zippy from Rainbow in the other.

Ā Never been a fan of sea bass. Not tried red snapper though.