Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

The MacDonald vs Lima fight will be worth a watch, but there is nothing that could make me sit through a card that has a main and co-main that features Mir, Nelson and Phil fucking Davis. I'd rather have my head stapled to the carpet in all honesty.

Daley is always worth a watch as well, but aside from that, I won't be going out my way to catch most of it.

Some notes on this evening's show.

- The Ruth vs Jackson bout was the highlight of the show. I had Jackson edging it, but I can see why the judges gave it to Ruth. 

- Davis suggested post-fight that Bellator do a LHW GP. Please no, the only LHW that I am currently interested in on Bellator's roster is Nemkov. 

- Mir picked the right gameplan to beat Nelson. This was Mir's best performance in years. 

- The Hager fight was a mess. I think the Hager experiment will come to an end sooner rather than later. 

- Goldberg continues to be terrible on commentary. 

- It was nice to see Batista in attendance. 

- The show was fine if you wanted to kill a few hours, but again, it wasn't something you had to watch. 

• Paid Members

Aye, the Hager fight was farcical.

Like, his wrestling persona - and associates - have essentially buried the 'We the People' gimmick, yet his walkout has 'We the People' shited all over the top of it, and then he goes and knees Garrett square into the Baxters, which looked fairly deliberate, but I dunno. And it got me wondering if he's out there playing pro wrestling just to get his heel persona over in AEW. But then again, "We the poxy People" 

Felt for Bec Rawlings. Just looked lost out there, really. 

Enjoyed Chael though, when he popped up, and the Mir victory. 

A few notes on last night's card.

- It was indeed Lima's night. I gave him everything after round 1. I was impressed with how he nullified Rory's wrestling. The rematch lacked the fireworks of the first bout. 

- Rory's contract with the promotion has now expired. 

- Both Daley and Mix shined in their showcase fights. 

- The card suffered from the cancellation of the Minakov/Ayala bout. I have no personal issue with Kimbo's son, but does he really belong on a main card? 

- The TV portion of the event lasted around 2 and a half hours, which suited me fine. The show really didn't need to be any longer. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it was definitely Lima's fight through and through. I gave him every round and think the least you could have scored it for him would have been 49-46. 

If McDonald has completed his contract, I could see him retiring after that, as he does seem to be in a different place in his life. It'll depend on his financial situation as much as anything else though I'm sure. 

I knew Paul Daley was experienced, but it never clicked with me that he's had 60+ MMA fights. You wouldn't know it, watching him here. Most people with anything resembling that amount of fights look completely shop worn, but Daley still looks sharp, and obviously carries a tonne of power still, as he always has. A fight in England does make sense for him next.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think part of Daley’s longevity is that if you watch him, he doesn’t really get hit clean all that much. Of those 61 fights, the times he’s been hit and rocked you can count on one hand. For all the criticism he gets, and a lot of it justified, I honestly rate him as one of the best pure strikers in MMA and I don’t think he gets enough credit for that. People talk about his power and the reasons for that are obvious, his power speaks for itself. But he’s not just a slugger. His striking technique, his range and variety of shots, all while having the ability to mostly avoid taking damage himself, he’s one of the best in the game at that. Then you look at his reel of knockouts, the big lead left hook is his money punch but he’s put guys away with flying knees, body shots, elbows, the lot. He lacked the overall well roundedness to excel at the highest levels but I’ve loved watching him over the years. 

I noticed he kind of hinted at retirement in the not too distant future after the fight. Not really surprising, he’ll be 37 in a few months and has had a long career. Especially when you factor in the Kickboxing fights as well. The man’s had 85 fights altogether if his Wiki page is correct. 

Oh and I was chuffed with Lima winning. Nothing against Rory but Lima is one of my favourite non UFC fighters and it was great to see him get that moment and come out on top in the GP. He’s had some year with the MVP knockout and now this. 

• Paid Members
On 10/26/2019 at 8:08 AM, jimufctna24 said:

- Goldberg continues to be terrible on commentary. 

dont get me started...

Goldberg along with John McCarthey and Josh Thomson up in the booth are all terrible.

Goldberg's commentary literally translates to him reading peoples records off sherdog, saying his catchphrases and referencing fights he commentated on 10 years ago. The commentary is dragging Bellator down, they need Jimmy Smith back.

Best/Worst Goldie line was when they showed Mir warming up... "up next, Frank Mir, one of only six men to have knocked out Mirko Crocop!" what sort of fucking stat is that!?