WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

It didn't even occur to me that could be the problem until my brother came home and said "Try turning the TV on...".

Spent a good half hour searching through google for different methods to solve this problem. None of them mentioned anything about the TV.

Feel like a right nonce!

I just cannot get into PES2014. I've put hours into it since last week, playing it for most of the weekend waiting for it to click, but I can't. I'm just completely shit at it. I'm okay defensively (although the opposition does have an annoying habit of having one shot on target all game and still scoring), but going forwards I'm awful. Taking one too many touches so the keeper/defender gets to it first, smashing it wide when the goals right in front of me, awful misplaced passes in the final third. The thing is, I can tell there's a cracking game underneath if I could just improve at it, but it doesn't look likely. This new shooting/through-ball system has killed me.

I just cannot get into PES2014. I've put hours into it since last week, playing it for most of the weekend waiting for it to click, but I can't. I'm just completely shit at it. I'm okay defensively (although the opposition does have an annoying habit of having one shot on target all game and still scoring), but going forwards I'm awful. Taking one too many touches so the keeper/defender gets to it first, smashing it wide when the goals right in front of me, awful misplaced passes in the final third. The thing is, I can tell there's a cracking game underneath if I could just improve at it, but it doesn't look likely. This new shooting/through-ball system has killed me.

Interesting. I downloaded the demo today and had a quick go. Only played on regular and won 2-0 with Bayern against Colo Colo. It seems quite a change from last year, it definitely feels more real. I don't know if I'm going to get it as I won't have much time for it.

My main concern was that Champion and Beglin sound like they're having a conversation in a cramped gents toilet. Inside the toilet bowl. Is it the same in the retail version?

The thing is, I can tell there's a cracking game underneath if I could just improve at it, but it doesn't look likely. This new shooting/through-ball system has killed me.

You can switch back to the classic shooting and through ball in the settings menu. I was finding as well that either a defender would usually take the ball off me as it took too much time to pick a good spot/ball or instead I'd rush it to stop it from happening and the shot/ball wouldn't go where I wanted it to.

Gameplay wise it's definitely on the right track but it does seem like you're paying to test the new engine for next years version as there are several bugs (the slowdown one in particular) and feels stripped back compared to the recent games.

Edited by TUFCfan

Could you elaborate on that? I'm very much like you, I ignore UT and really only play career mode or a few one on one's when my mates are round. I'm so underwhelmed by this years game that I'm seriously considering just buying 13 again. My only issue is EA don't update squads for previous titles, and it's a real ball ache to do it manually.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm very much like you, I ignore UT and really only play career mode or a few one on one's when my mates are round. I'm so underwhelmed by this years game that I'm seriously considering just buying 13 again. My only issue is EA don't update squads for previous titles, and it's a real ball ache to do it manually.

I've only had a little play as I turned it off to go back to GTA but from what I could see the search engine feature from last year has been overhauled and you can no longer search on a players rating. You have a team of scouts, tell them what position of player you want and can also highlight key attributes you would like them to possess and then they go off and find them. I play Footy Manager for that type of full on interactive play and I prefer Fifa to be something I can have a bash on if I have a spare half hour here or there, it just seems really convoluted now. Also, I had to update the squads with the latest transfers as Liverpool didn't have Sakho, Ilori or Moses and then they disappeared in the Career mode as the default squads were used automatically. I would hazard a guess that you may find Ozil missing from Arsenal in the same way.

Edit - On a plus side I did see a difference in the game play from last years version and on the whole I was impressed with that.

Edited by stunstone316

Cheers for that. That actually doesn't sound too bad with the scouting thing. I don't play FM, I find it quite boring, so a watered down version in Fifa career mode suits me.

How does the gameplay differ from the demo? I appreciate what they're trying to do by "grounding" the players, but I was finding it quite sluggish. Is the final product more fluid?

In regards to FIFA 14, all the problems from the last five years or so still remain. All it seems they've done is slicked up the graphics and user interface.

Not impressed but I didn't pay full whack for it and its mostly for the little one than me. I'm not looking forward to testing the online play either.

Sorry if my post seems too negative but after tinkering around with it for a few hours I feel a bit robbed in what little I did pay for the game.

Cheers for that. That actually doesn't sound too bad with the scouting thing. I don't play FM, I find it quite boring, so a watered down version in Fifa career mode suits me.

How does the gameplay differ from the demo? I appreciate what they're trying to do by "grounding" the players, but I was finding it quite sluggish. Is the final product more fluid?

They've finally got long range shooting sorted, it genuinely feels possible to score drives from distance at last instead of that floaty feel to shots. That and the off ball movement of AI is fantastic, a genuine improvement. Sadly that's where it ends on the positives end. It does feel sluggish. Lobbed through balls are ridiculously overpowered, I hit one with De Gea directly to van Persie's feet and put him clean through on goal. Crossing is overpowered, and the heading is crazy too. Bullet headers from 25 yards. It's got issues, if patched they've got basically the same game as last year.