UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The camera being present benefited the fan. Given that he's clearly a huge MMA fan, I'm sure he will get a kick out of being on Embedded. 

Edit: Come on chaps. let's not blow this out of proportion. 

Agree. A lot of too much giving-a-shit going on here.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was an interesting link. The stats of recent late replacements fights, measuring if the guy who was a late replacement won or lost. They win more often than I would have expected.

Out of the 32 winning late-replacements, 14 were favourites with the bookies. A lot more were only slight underdogs. In fact, the highest odds you could find on a winning late replacement was + 280. I think it depends more on who the fighter is.

Although, a 39% ratio does suggest that a fighter signing up late doesn't play that big a factor in the fight result. 

• Paid Members

Listening to him on this week's MMA Hour, I've come to the conclusion that Frankie Edgar is Bret Hart in 1997. He's completely justified in all of his frustrations and complaints, but he's harping on about them so much that he's becoming tiresome and turning himself heel.

It's fascinating to observe. He's such a nice guy who I've always rooted for, but fucking hell. Every interview he's had in the past three months has been him crying about how much he's been screwed.

His rationale behind it is that the fans want fighters to be vocal and put themselves and their story out there by talking more, but there's a huge difference between being Conor McGregor and just being a crybaby. He might as well just move to Calgary and blame the American fans at this point.

Considering recent happenings, I'm convinced Edgar won't get the McGregor payday. Given the change in McGregor's physique and the RDA fight being put off - I think McGregor's immediate future lies at 155lbs. After the Diaz fight, it appears likely the RDA fight will be re-scheduled, leaving Edgar in limbo.

Obviously, the UFC won't want to leave 145lbs hanging forever. I assume they would allow Edgar to fight for the vacant title at some point this year (possibly against Aldo). While that's not much of a money fight at this time, it's probably the best Bret Hart Jr is going to get. 

• Paid Members

Without question Jim. As I mentioned earlier, I can't really recall anyone beating Nate standing (at 155).

Josh Thomson knocked him out.

Ah yes. Forgot about the Thomson KO. That said, remembering the fight, outside of the actual KO, I remember Nate still having the best of Thomson, especially with his boxing. Nate picked him off with his reach advantage whilst Thomson landed a lot of volume with kicks. He threw little to no punches the entire fight. 

What's with the hate for McGregor David?

l.jpg

"Some guys, they just hate for no reason, you got me?"

Considering recent happenings, I'm convinced Edgar won't get the McGregor payday. 

I'm not entirely convinced that's what he really wants (although he'd take it if was offered no doubt). He's said on more than a few occasions that he wants a crack at the belt regardless of who has it. He'd probably jump at a bout to crown a new champion against Aldo.

• Paid Members

I'm not entirely convinced that's what he really wants (although he'd take it if was offered no doubt). He's said on more than a few occasions that he wants a crack at the belt regardless of who has it. He'd probably jump at a bout to crown a new champion against Aldo.

I think you're right. On paper, for me, that's a great fight. I bet the PPV buys don't agree though ...

I think you're right. On paper, for me, that's a great fight. I bet the PPV buys don't agree though ...

With McGregor out of the picture there's no other fight to make for that belt though, is there? Former champion and greatest featherweight of all time going up against the widely regarded number one contender? 

It's not a huge money fight, but would fit very nicely as a co-main on a numbered show, or even a headliner on a FOX show possibly.

• Paid Members

Aldo vs Edgar 2 might even headline a PPV, to be honest. It won't set the world alight but they like to have title fights headline PPVs and depending on the calendar they might just stick Aldo vs Edgar on top of a PPV.

I'd be well up for the fight. Their first fight was tremendous. Plus the combination of Edgar being in such great form now and the story of Aldo trying to rebound from the McGregor loss, makes for a very intriguing fight IMO.

They have been doubling up on title fights on PPV in recent times. They have also been putting title fights with lesser appeal on TV. I think they learnt their lesson from the Mighty Mouse buyrates.

As a FOX main event or twinned with say a Middleweight title fight on PPV, Aldo vs Edgar fits perfectly.

Archived