Ring of Honor signs with Destination America

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

TNA is the absolute worst brand in wrestling with probably the worst name of a promotion ever.

If they go under, anyone with sense would just sign the talent and call it something else.

Just a whacky thought. Could Sinclair buy TNA?

Why would they? Don't they already own ROH? Why would they blow money buying a company like TNA instead of investing it in ROH?

Access to the archives mostly.    Like I said, a whacky idea.  

• Paid Members

Just a whacky thought. Could Sinclair buy TNA?

Why would they? Don't they already own ROH? Why would they blow money buying a company like TNA instead of investing it in ROH?

Access to the archives mostly. Like I said, a whacky idea.

It's a hell of a price to pay just to have some more footage to splice into video packages for AJ, Daniels etc.

• Paid Members

Yeah, could be argued that it's RoH with more talent in common with TNA than WWE. If they got access to their tape library, they'd have extra footage of AJ, Joe, Daniels, Punk (to a limited degree), Matt Hardy, Homicide, Low Ki, etc.

Can someone give me a quick update on who owns/books ROH these days? I gather the Feinstein/Sapolsky paedo era is over? I'm years out of the loop.

It's owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Joe Koff is the COO and is essentially the public face of the company from a corporate point of view.

Delirious is the head booker, and has been for quite for a while, replacing Adam Pearce around 2010. 

• Paid Members

Can someone give me a quick update on who owns/books ROH these days? I gather the Feinstein/Sapolsky paedo era is over? I'm years out of the loop.

Joe Koff is the COO and is essentially the public face of the company from a corporate point of view.

Delirious is the head booker, and has been for quite for a while, replacing Adam Pearce around 2010. 

The COO is called Joe Koff? Joe Koff? Please tell me that’s a professional name and not his actual name.

It's owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Joe Koff is the COO and is essentially the public face of the company from a corporate point of view.

Jim Cornette had a massive influence between 2009-12. Running things until Delirious took sole control in 2012 when Cornette was fired/left.

Cornette was heavily influential in the sale of ROH to Sinclair through Gary Juster. As much as he is derided by ROH fans for his creativity he has to be acknowledged for the part he played in ROH being where it is today

• Paid Members

Well, if it wasnt for Cornette there would be no ROH as of right now. That thing was dead. Cary Silkin had ran out of money and it was on its arse. And Sinclair for all their faults are the perfect owners, because they have had a TV outlet for years because of them. If Silkin had sold up, there's a massive chance it would have just been some shite little once a month fed doing nothing of note.

But Cornette's run in creative was just horrendous. So out of touch, had no idea what people wanted, thought Dan Severn was a representative of the 'super cool' MMA community. He had Davey Richards as champion doing Japanese style "did you have a good night then lads?" promos before the show went off air. There's an infamous skit they did with Kevin Steen (this character who was doing the loose cannon bit) in an office with a lawyer, with a multi camera set up. It was like something from fucking GLOW. Also, everytime I think of Cornette now, I dont think of the Midnight Express or Smokey Mountain or Vader or Owen and Davey or OVW. I think of that silver curtain hanging from a scaffold set. ROH is hardly high-tech now, but it looked straight from 1978 when Cornette was there.

Cornette wanted nothing to do with Steen. His stubbornness got Steen over massively and turned ROH heel with their own fanbase. We had Jui Jitsu Jack Off Davey Richards. The Headbangers were bought in and he tried to get Mikey Mondo over as a face.

That lawyer segment best sums up Cornette's time in ROH.

My problem with Cornette's run on creative was, to put it simply, there was no fun in ROH during that time.

People like Kings of Wrestling were replace with WGTT who were put front and centre on ROH (just watch the ROH TV show opening which was a montage of Benjamin and Haas dressing) and couldn't carry it off. People like Steen, Cabana and others were replace with 'straight shooters'. They didn't have the charisma to be on TV, even low key ROH TV. 

It was weird that Cornette took what were the 4 hottest talents on ROH (Corino, Cabana, Steen and Generico) and refused to use them to there full potential. He clearly had a huge problem with Steen for whatever reason and didn't get what the fans saw in Generico.

Delirious did some good and fun things in his time as booker. Ciampa turned from banal 'international sensation' to Psycho which has been great to see, The Kingdom have been on a tear, Lethal has turned it up with Truth Martini and seeing the KRD revelation gave me chills. Of course he's made mistakes but I think on the whole he's been a good booker, balancing the fans and the networks expectations pretty darn well. IMO, 

• Paid Members

Apparently, ROH was watched by 163,000 viewers at 8pm and 110,000 viewers for the 11pm replay in their Destination America debut. Impact was watched less than 300,000 viewers at 9pm. 72,000 watched a replay at midnight

Archived