So Excited, So Scared: The Saved by the Bell Retrospective

Astro Hollywood

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Surf dudes with Attitude, kinda groovy~!........"

Yeah it was good from what I can remember, didn't have the zanyness of SBTB though and like you say some of the characters didn't have much substance to them & weren't as memorable as Zack & co. I can name all the main characters of Saved but unless I google it, can't remember any of the California Dreams crew. 

also liked Hang Time

Yep me too. There was a plethora of good shows back in the day - SBTB, California Dreams, Hang Time, Martin, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Hangin' with Mr Cooper, Sister Sister, Kenan & Kel et al  

Can remember the name 'City Guys' but can't recall if I watched it, probably did though. I think that show and also 'USA High' were again exec produced by Peter Engel.

Also was there any notable guest stars on SBTB as I'm sure they could have got some big names on there & was there much SBTB merchandise around as that would have been a license to print money back in the day when the show was super popular. 

• Moderators

Yeah, think it got a cassette tape release too ;)  Also does anyone remember 'California Dreams'?, it was made by the SBTB writers & exec produced by Peter Engel too. Was the 'Zack Attack' SBTB episode a nod to "California Dreams", or a precursor to it, as 'Dreams' was about a band and the characters were very SBTB-esque IIRC which would make sense since it was developed by the same team. 

The Zack Attack Episode, Rockumentary, was basically a backdoor pilot for California Dreams.

Also was there any notable guest stars on SBTB as I'm sure they could have got some big names on there & was there much SBTB merchandise around as that would have been a license to print money back in the day when the show was super popular.

Just Casey Kasem, twice, because teens love old men, I guess, and the head of NBC as himself, to put over the anti-drugs PSA in No Hope With Dope. Mostly SBTB stuck to its own in-universe celebrity scene (which was awesome).

Yeah, think it got a cassette tape release too ;) Also does anyone remember 'California Dreams'?, it was made by the SBTB writers & exec produced by Peter Engel too. Was the 'Zack Attack' SBTB episode a nod to "California Dreams", or a precursor to it, as 'Dreams' was about a band and the characters were very SBTB-esque IIRC which would make sense since it was developed by the same team.

Wasn't one guy called Sly, the manager, and looked a little like Tom Cruise? Not a patch on Pugwalls Summer but then what was?

Archived