Being a mature student

SpursRiot2012

I've been asked to submit a "200 word article on an issue that has affected your local area" for a Journalism, Film and Television Studies BA as part of my application.

Now, 200 words is nothing but I'm a little bit confused about what they want. I've written an article in the style of a local newspaper report on pedestrian crossing for local schools, using some government figures on road traffic accidents involving children and a quote from the local MP (a quote she gave to her official website.)

Will this be the sort of thing they're looking for? Or are they looking for something more based on my personal opinions on an issue? Or something else?

Isn't the *theoretical* idea of being a journalist that you're objective and wouldn't write it in a personal tone?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think the outline you gave about the pedestrian crossing seems fine. I doubt they're trying to catch you out with a trick question or anything like that. It sounds like they just want to see whether you have an understanding of the principles of journalism - whether you can actually write, the pyramid of importance, use of statistics and quoting properly, and being able to stick to a word limit. I'm sure you've done it right, don't out-think yourself.

• Paid Members

If you haven't done a foundation degree, or access to HE course, there are still some interesting music related degree programs out there:

I haven't even done A levels. The education section of my CV is something of considerable embarrassment.

Thats the beauty of access to HE courses. 1 year duration. I was ill when i was a nipper, fucked GCSEs up royally. No A levels etc. the access year is in place for that reason. That year led me to a 2 year foundation degree and donkeys years later, ive gone back to do a top up year in music/disabilities.

The trickiest part is convincing yourself to become a student. Great once you do.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I didn't want to just go ahead with what I've written it it's not what they want.

I transferred on to the same course in my second year for about 6 months before I dropped out. From what I remember they were more interested in a well structured fact based report than an opinion piece with stuff like that but to be honest I was a lost cause and don't remember much.

For what it's worth it was a really interesting course and let you try a bit of everything. I was long gone by that point but I'm gutted I never continued it. Not to say that that course will cover the same stuff or anything.

• Paid Members

Some great journalism from the Daily Mail. Making the gang look bigger by Photoshopping two members' faces to appear skinnier.

Screenshot%20401_zpsbidvm02s.png

Before and after slimming world shots.

Seriously though......

How many men does it take to cut off a thumb? Surely 2 would be apt, whilst weilding knives at a random average bloke.

But no not this gang, they resort to making fat clones.

• Paid Members

Yes, it's another thread where I'm trying to work out what the fuck to do with my life.

I've recently got the idea of getting some qualifications in a field that actually interests me and use that to go out and get a job I actually like, instead of sitting around in a job I hate, waiting to die.

But it's all very confusing. For instance, am I entitled to tuition and maintenance loans? I'm 27, and working full time. I suppose I'd have to only be working part-time, or a certain amount of hours a week.

I left school with a few GCSE's and have been working ever since. My girlfriend seems to think there are university courses that aren't going to need me to have A-levels and stuff, because I'd be joining as a mature student. Is this right?

Any and all experiences of this appreciated.

Get work experience in the field you like; hands on, make contacts, and then when you apply for a job just lie about having qualifications. Literally make it up. Nobody checks, and as long as you know how to do the job, then that's all that matters.

• Paid Members

I've been lying about my GCSE results on job applications since 2003 and, yep, nobody has ever checked.

But I'm quite looking forward to spending three years studying. I wasn't ready to do anymore of it at 16, but having been working for 12ish years straight, I need the break. That's not to say the studying will be easy, of course, but 3 hours an evening at Birkbeck beats 10 hour subtitling shifts hands down. I just have to get through this next six odd months until the course starts, somehow.

While I'm here...

As I haven't studied in years, and even then I didn't really study, can anyone recommend a website where I can swot up a bit on things like citations in essays for university, how degree work should be structured, things of that nature? Thanks.

Archived