Being a mature student

SpursRiot2012

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If you want to be a Journalist you'd probably be better off pursuing the NCTJ Diploma which only takes a year to complete and makes you a qualified journo at the end. I did it last year at a local technical college and it was pretty good. It's usually quite cheap (relatively speaking)

• Paid Members

I'd love to go to Uni and get properly educated. I'd want to do something based around music, but at the same time I can't really be throwing 2/3 years away on what would essentially be vanity learning.

• Paid Members

Pity: I don't have an active blog or anything like that. I've tried in the past but always lost interest due to being a lazy fuck. I think if it was in conjunction with something like that course, I'd be more inclined to stick with it.

Maverick: The problem I have is that I would need the course to be fully funded, which the degree would be. Not to mention the six and a half grand maintainence loan.

Surf: I figure, I'm 30 in 2017. If I'm going to do this, now is the time.

If you want to be a Journalist you'd probably be better off pursuing the NCTJ Diploma which only takes a year to complete and makes you a qualified journo at the end. I did it last year at a local technical college and it was pretty good. It's usually quite cheap (relatively speaking)

I'm studying English and Creative Writing at Uni with the intention of becoming a journalist at the end of it. Major balls up on my part really as there was only one module on journalism and that was in the first and second year with very little attention to detail so I've been left doing my journalism dissertation feeling like I'm struggling a bit. Anyway, my point and question is, I'd never heard of the NCTJ before. How does it work? Do you need qualifications to qualify to do one? It sounds ideal for me to do after I finish uni as I don't know what I'm going to do with myself otherwise. Thanks mate!

• Paid Members

Exactly. I was the last person taken on by Trinity Mirror North Wales (back in 2010) that didn't have the NCTJ diploma as I only have a BA Journalism Degree. Thankfully they paid me to complete the course on the job, but now they won't take any new journalists who don't have one beforehand.

Went to Uni at 27 so I was considered mature then. Loved the course, hated the youngsters in there giving me shit looks and judging me because they had worked for 3 years getting to degree level, while my acceptance on the course wasn't judged on my previous academic success, but on my life's experience up till that point. Essentially I was the working class man on the middle class course.

Needless to say, they had a chip on their shoulder from start to finish. The end result being, they mostly got 2:1's and 2:2's and I got a first. Sticking it to the man!

As for loans and finance, Uni was probably the richest time of my life but also the most tiring. I worked 2 part time jobs, got student loan and a mature student grant (can't remember what they called it) which matched my loan and didn't need to be paid back, so while everyone else was getting just shy of £2000 a term, I was getting just under £5000. Student finance and the uni you're applying to will provide you with all the info of whatever you're entitled to. Not sure if any of this is much help though.

• Paid Members

Here's more information on the NCTJ course for those asking http://www.nctj.com/journalism-qualifications/diploma-in-journalismthere should be one fairly close by as they are all over the place. The price is usually about a grand I think but I got mine for a tenner due to some technicality or some such. Not to take this off topic but is there much opportunity for Journalists in England/Scotland/Wales? I've got a degree and am fully qualified but I'm only covering for someone at the minute and when they come back in February I'm out the door. There are no jobs in that area here (Northern Ireland) and I'm thinking I might have to move if I want to continue my career in that area.

Also those saying they are most interested in the writing or creative aspect I wouldn't really recommend the NCTJ it's all very rigid with little room for creative writing. Obviously you might get more freedom depending on where you work but the creative types in my class seemed very disappointed.  

Here's more information on the NCTJ course for those asking http://www.nctj.com/journalism-qualifications/diploma-in-journalismthere should be one fairly close by as they are all over the place. The price is usually about a grand I think but I got mine for a tenner due to some technicality or some such. Not to take this off topic but is there much opportunity for Journalists in England/Scotland/Wales? I've got a degree and am fully qualified but I'm only covering for someone at the minute and when they come back in February I'm out the door. There are no jobs in that area here (Northern Ireland) and I'm thinking I might have to move if I want to continue my career in that area.

Also those saying they are most interested in the writing or creative aspect I wouldn't really recommend the NCTJ it's all very rigid with little room for creative writing. Obviously you might get more freedom depending on where you work but the creative types in my class seemed very disappointed.

Thanks for the follow up post. Really going to consider doing this when I finish uni in May. The creative writing thing isn't an issue for me as I've had three years of that and I dont feel like I'm improving or its going anywhere. Learning and getting a qualification specifically in journalism sounds very appealing to me.

Archived