Re-Masking a Luchadore

ninevisions

The Luchadore, the most defining feature about one (aside from their Wrestling ability) is their mask, a symbol of empowerment, and often very interesting to look at. But then by means of a Luchas de Apuestas match, a Luchadore loses their mask and their career forever changed. if like me you watch a bit of Lucha Libre, you'll most likely feel disappointed for your favourite Luchadores when the masks come off... But if you had the chance to re-mask a Luchadore, who would you choose?

I'll kick things off...

Los Oficiales (911, AK47 & Fierro)

688eca77.jpg

This is one of my favourite trios in IWRG or even in Mexico altogether. They have a great look about them, excellent triple team chemistry, and are very different from other teams in Mexico, I especially loved the masks/force hat combo's.

But in 2011, AK47 lost his mask.

iwrg.jpg

Then a year later, Fierro lost his...

fierro911_castillo12.jpg?resize=588%2C39

And then finally in 2013, the mask came off 911.

f479357a-s.jpg

I still think of them as a cohesive unit in terms of Wrestling ability, but for me most of the magic has gone with the masks. I would re-mask these guys in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

And now over to you. Who would you re-mask?

Silver King just thought "fuck it" and put his back on, which always confused me.

Funnily enough I was just reading into that, he went from Silver King to Silver Cain for grounds to re-mask, confused at the name choice though.

He should have just stuck to Ramses.

• Paid Members

How many Luchadores have benefited aesthetically from losing the mask? Cibernetico maybe? It does seem like a lot of Mexican Wrestlers are ugly (and old, I suppose), and lose a lot of their shine when they lose their masks.

Edit: Del Rio's an obvious one, although he didn't lose his, did he?

• Paid Members

Not that WWE would have cared, but Rey was allowed since he was having a change of name (Misterio Jr to Mysterio) and a change in mask design (the 'rey'/king crown replaced by a cross).

The Box y Lucha commission did frown on it, from what I remember, but do allow luchadors that have lost their mask to remask under a different character (Volador to Super Parker and Winners to Abismo Negro, for instance).

• Paid Members

I always thought it would be fun to have a reverse mask match where two non-masked wrestlers compete and the loser is forced to put on a mask as punishment. The only way he can get rid of the mask is to have a reverse mask vs mask match against another wrestler who was forced to wear a mask and beat him.

Please don't steal my stupid idea if you run an indie fed, I might win the lottery and do it myself one day.

• Paid Members

I always thought it would be fun to have a reverse mask match where two non-masked wrestlers compete and the loser is forced to put on a mask as punishment. The only way he can get rid of the mask is to have a reverse mask vs mask match against another wrestler who was forced to wear a mask and beat him.

Please don't steal my stupid idea if you run an indie fed, I might win the lottery and do it myself one day.

Russo just stole that idea.

Original Psicosis. Ugly mo' fo'. Put it back on!

Jesus, this times a million

Never saw him in WCW but saw his few matches in ECW in 2000, think he was in a three way at Heatwave, looked like a Mexican Jerry Sadowitz

Anyone who slags Adrian Neville's looks off needs to compare him to Psicosis, well you don't but Christ he's an ugly cunt

Archived