UFC 182: Jones vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit:- Just seen Shane's post. Sorry Shane O, but what a load of shite.

Poor Shane O. Check the author of that post again, lamby. You jumping the gun bastard, you.

Haha, no harm done. I was reading through the thread and lamby's post made me double back to see what stupid thing I had written.

Obviously all the talk will be centred around the main event. If you judge it by looks and size, Jones steamrolls Cormier. DC has an uncanny knack for destroying guys bigger than him though. It's a good thing that we've had all these extra shenanigans to sell the fight, because the average UFC casual would probably disregard Cormier tooling Barnett and Bigfoot and just rate DC off his wins against Cummins and Hendo, as pryko talked about.

• Paid Members

It says a lot about how awesome this fight is that it's still nearly a month away and we're already on page 3 around 24 hours after I started the thread. I think we were still only on about page 3 on fucking fight day for 181.

I'm still kind of at a loss in predicting this one. My gut is telling me Jones on points. But I don't think I've ever wanted to be wrong about a fight more. And I might be. We just don't know what the limits are on Cormier yet. He might be the man. We've got no point of reference to what his weaknesses are. He's really shown no vulnerability yet. Jones has shown very little vulnerability himself either. We're talking literally - round one against Machida, the armbar against Belfort and the first two or three rounds against Gustafsson. And none of those fighters bare any resemblance in style or frame to Cormier.

It's really a fascinatingly difficult fight to call.

I keep flipping on prediction but my gut feeling is Cormier will dominate the early fight then Jones will just hit something (probably an elbow) and turn everything on it's head and go on to win (like Sonnen v Silva 2).

But man would i LOVE Cormier to win, with more videos like that plus a highlight on his journmeyman route to the top (Olympics, World Championships, Strikforce Grand prix) he could come into this with a Daniel Bryan level of support (or at least a somewhat mma equivalent) 

Super pumped for this fight

• Paid Members

As ive said before I stopped watching UFC around 2006, and started back up again last June, so ive never actually heard of Daniel Cormier or seen any of his fights. What fights should I check out? I have Fight Pass so if they are on there I have access to them.

Same can be said about Jon Jones to be honest. Ive seen the odd fight of his, vs Sonnen where he broke his toe, and the fight with Matt Hammil where he got disqualified. Don't ask why those are the only two fights ive seen, I have no idea. Are there any Jon Jones fights I must see before this one?

Just reading this thread has got me excited for this fight, beforehand I wasn't really arsed because I don't know who the guys are.

• Paid Members

For Cormier watch the Josh Barnett fight from the Strikeforce Grand Prix finals. That was the one that really sold me on him. Also his Bigfoot fight and for a taste of him at 205, the Hendo fight from UFC 173.

You've really not seen the best of Jones. Definitely watch the Gustafsson fight. That was many peoples FOTY last year, and last year was full of great fights so that tells you a lot.

Also, I'd recommend giving Jones' fights with Teixeira, Machida and Shogun a look. And if you fancy watching some quick blowouts the Vera and Matyushenko fights won't take up much of your time.

EDIT -

Poll added. Completely forgot about that.

I'm fucking rock hard in anticipation of this show. It's the first fight in a long time I'm really excited for. The rest of the card is decent, but nothing stands out as anything really interesting. I have to give it to DC, I am hoping for a repeat of Cormier against big foot Silva.

• Paid Members

Honestly, fuck off Wand, my hard on briefly subsided there.

I tell you what seems to be forgotten about Cormier is the tragedy he's gone through in his life. He lost his father at 7 years old after he was shot dead, and then lost his 3 month old baby daughter in a car crash. Then (and obviously nowhere near as horrible) going through the Olympics where he was favourite for gold and having kidney problems due to the weight cut.

Got to root for a guy who's gone through that.

It's awesome the best way we can each describe the excitement for this fight is by the action taking place in our undercrackers!

We've all been hard since August...it's becoming painful now down there!

I've had horrendous blue balls ever since Jones pulled out injured. The stitching on my Jockeys is fucked from walking about with a stonk on.

• Paid Members

Honestly, fuck off Wand, my hard on briefly subsided there.

:)

Sorry.

Yeah Cormier has been through some shit. It's good to see him in this position. Shows how mentally tough he is as well, those kind of setbacks in life could finish a lot of people. Losing a parent in that way, losing a kid in that way, and obviously less of a blow but failing to reach his Olympic goals he worked all his life for - any one of those setbacks would fuck a lot of people up mentally, but all three?! It's a real testament to how strong he must be.

I'm really curious to see how the battle for takedowns goes in this fight. I understand Cormier is a way more accomplished wrestler and in theory should be able to take Jones down. But the size of Jones and how good he is with distance, DC could have a hard time getting inside. To date the only guy to take Jones down in the UFC has been Gustafsson. Not a stellar wrestler but he was someone Jones couldn't keep at long range because Gus matched him in size. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I definitely think DC can and will put Jones on his back, but I can see it being harder than a lot of people think. I hope not. I hope Cormier wins big, or at gives Jones hell on the way. But Jones' reach might be the biggest obstacle for Cormier to overcome, I think. If he can find a way to repeatedly get past Jones' giraffe limbs, it might be Jones who's in for a long night.

• Paid Members

What I love is Cormier's belief that he will beat Jones. He has absolutely no fear. What I think Jones could underestimate with Cormier is his strength and power. Jones' game plan will without doubt be keep Cormier at length with kicks and his jab. But i think Cormier's power will allow him to close that distance.

The interesting thing now though is that Jones has shown in the Teixeira fight that he's more than happy to stand in the pocket whilst looking awesome.

It truly is a fascinating fight. Will the reach and size of Jones win out, or will the sheer power and wrestling of Cormier come out on top?

This is painful to wait for. Every day I'm waking up and seeing my son's advent calendar for xmas, I sit there thinking that I should get one for myself, and then add on 9 extra days as this fucker is my Christmas this year.

The thing is that DC being shorter has a lower centre of gravity and is more compact in his muscularity. Jones isn't going to be able to take down Cormier, but I see Jones getting taken down at will. DC is a guy who won't be put off having a height and reach disadvantage, since everyone he beat at HW was much bigger than him.

Archived