UFC 182: Jones vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure how turning to god helps being in front of the cameras Ebb? If anything, I think he simply looked around at what seemed to be popular. Belfort, Henderson and few others pushing the jesus shit onto the fans perhaps made him think is what would help build popularity and maybe get him the Nike deal he craved?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the creation of Greg Jackson to create a facade of a god fearing, all American who loves his mum. It certainly seemed to work in his favour as far as getting the deal with Nike and Beats etc. It obviously started to slip when he got caught drink driving and hearing Jackson telling him to shake hands in the cage to make some fans. Though I might have butchered that exact quote, that was the basic gist of what he was saying.

• Paid Members

Greg Jackson is a slimy shit as well. As you say his "go over, win some fans" was so sleazy it just made the whole thing worse. In fact I seem to take an instant dislike to anyone who trains there and I'm pleased Rashad left that camp when he did.

My issue with Jones is more to do with how much of a child he is. The worst for me was his trolling of random people on the internet and sending derogatory comments to normal people who barely said anything to him on social media. In this case it was something like "I hope DC beats you come September (or whenever the original date was?) Some stuff that he sent was disgusting to the point of hunting down a picture of that person's girlfriend and saying how ugly she was. You wouldn't think with the way he wastes his time trolling people that he was a successful fighter with plenty of things to waste his time on.

As we said in the past, this side of Jones is far more interesting than the jesus crap thouigh, and whilst it may not prove great for him in endorsements, PPV buys will be a lot bigger. Even then, there will still be big companies wanting their name associated with him, just look at Mayweather.

Makes you wonder why Jones ever felt he had to go down that route though? Maybe it was all to do with being uncomfortable in front of the cameras? or maybe him thinking thats what he needed to be.

Some people just need to be liked. He probably thought that by being the nice religious boy next door he'd be liked by the majority. I wouldn't put it past him to have done that kind of shit all through school and suchlike. He probably mocked the fat kid in the school locker rooms, then addressed that same kids parents as sir and ma'am if he saw them in the street.

In other words, he's a cunt.

The funny part about Jones being a disingenuous cunt is that it’s what turned people on Rashad Evans. In the build up to their fight, Evans said that Jones was a fake but because he wouldn’t elaborate, wanting to keep private stuff private, people thought it was sour grapes and turned on Evans something fierce. And now, actually long before now, Evans was proven to be right and that Jones’ humble, good clean living act was just that.

And it’s not like Jones and his people have been alone in covering up his childish bullshit. UFC have done their fair share and then some of hiding the real Jones, and it’s only now, when they have no choice over the matter because it’s been recorded on video by ESPN, that they’ve decided to use the real Jon Jones as a promotional tool.

• Paid Members

I wonder if the UFC consulted Jones on that promo or not? I have to admit that what made that promo so special was they actually went ahead and used the footage.

I thought the UFC would do all they could to protect their biggest star by helping him keep up the charade, irrespective of whether that footage was online or not.

This fight really is fucking great though. I could talk about it all day and never get tired of it.

Regardless of the feelings of the UFC and Jones, that footage was out there and going to be seen no matter what. The genie was out of the bottle and it was either make like an ostrich or go with it and use it to their mutual advantage. I doubt either party liked it, Jones more than UFC, but there was really nothing they could do except make the best of it.

• Paid Members

Whilst I did reference the UFC protecting Jones, the more I think about it, the more I think they simply don't care how he's perceived. In fact, when this happened they were probably salivating thinking that as Noah says, the cat is out of the bag and they finally have something they can really market and push.

Just look at Brock Lesnar & Mayweather. Both twats in different ways but people will pay to watch them. The UFC now have the opportunity to finally create a definitive identity for Jones.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure how turning to god helps being in front of the cameras Ebb?

I didnt mean he did it to make him feel comfortable in front of a camera haha, more about creating a persona for himself that he believed people would get behind or what he believed people wanted to see.

...of course theres a case to be made that Jones maybe was the clean cut kid and the fame, power he now has, has gone to his head.

• Paid Members

Slightly off topic, but letting yourself get choked out rather than tapping before it happens will never make sense to me. What's the point!?

Yep, it's absolutely stupid and makes no sense whatsoever. I remember Chael Sonnen berating anyone taking the approach they would rather go to sleep than tap. Even more so look at the stupidity of Big Nog, would rather allow his arm to break than tap (to Frank Mir).

It achieves nothing more than those "he's tough as nails" kudos that Rogan and Goldberg spout out.

• Paid Members

Slightly off topic, but letting yourself get choked out rather than tapping before it happens will never make sense to me. What's the point!?

Yep, it's absolutely stupid and makes no sense whatsoever. I remember Chael Sonnen berating anyone taking the approach they would rather go to sleep than tap. Even more so look at the stupidity of Big Nog, would rather allow his arm to break than tap (to Frank Mir).

It achieves nothing more than those "he's tough as nails" kudos that Rogan and Goldberg spout out.

The irony being that for people with that personality, it would actually be 'tougher' to admit defeat and tap.

Archived