UFC 182: Jones vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hold on, don't you think that the death of the UFC PPV business is a myth? Or was that someone else?

That was probably someone else. I do not have a firm opinion on PPV''s future. I agree they should save PPV for big shows. Expecting consumers to pay $60 for some of their shows, is highly unrealistic. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is though that the UFC can do all that they can to put on a great card top to bottom for PPVs, but the fights can still be stinkers or people drop out due to injuries. Increasing the price of the shows could ultimately burn people who bought them. If they are going to continue to do PPV then they can use the Fox shows to build up to them, but they need to feel a bit more special than a fight night show.

I hope they shake things up a bit too. With the amount of shows they put on, and the decline in ppv buys, I think it would be a good idea to drastically reduce the amount of ppv's, down to say 4 or 5 a year, and have these shows with a reduced number of fights. I think we're at a point where people are buying ppv's for the main event, and not for the whole card, so I'd use the Fox shows to showcase number one contenders, then put maybe 2 or 3 BIG fights on the ppv. You can always have a fox show before the ppv for prelims, but make the main event feel like something that doesn't come round very often, and people will pay for it.

There's been a lot of great ideas thrown about in this thread. Someone needs to send Dana a link.....

I think the production issues people have mentioned here are one of my big problems too. They don't in the slightest attempt to differentiate each ppv from the previous one or even there free cards. Other than the odd graphic here and there.

Put it this way, if you where to stick someone new to the sport infront of q tv with a fight pass show and a ppv show straight after it but skipped the 'face the pain' intro's on both, the average person probably wouldnt even notice they where watching two different shows.

• Paid Members

I think we're at a point where people are buying ppv's for the main event, and not for the whole card, so I'd use the Fox shows to showcase number one contenders, then put maybe 2 or 3 BIG fights on the ppv. You can always have a fox show before the ppv for prelims, but make the main event feel like something that doesn't come round very often, and people will pay for it.

That's pretty much what they do anyway, it just doesn't always pan out that way with injuries and stuff. Last Saturday's show nailed how a PPV should feel. The only complaint id have with with regards to what you're saying is that it didn't have BIG fights underneath the main event, but sometimes a main event alone is all that's needed and that was reflected in the sales.

As for what seanz is saying, what do you want? some kind of elaborate set like a WWE PPV? a PPV show doesn't have to look any different to a free show, it makes no real difference, the difference between the two should be what fights are happening in the cage.

I think the buzz you feel from a main event on a PPV is pretty special as it is, when the lights dipped before Jones/Cormier my heart was fucking pounding, there's not a lot else needed than that. I love a bit of a show as much as anyone so video screens and whatnot would be cool but you don't wanna turn it into a circus.

Last Saturday's show nailed how a PPV should feel. 

Yeah, but how much of the big occasion feel for that PPV last weekend was because the company actually took some time to build it like they used to? A huge problem with the PPV's of recent times is that they sneak up on you without any real fanfare, which has to have an effect on the interest they get.

The big hype up stuff is something that UFC are doing with the Silva Diaz fight with their along came a spider videos. The thing is theres still fight night Boston in between so they need to hype 183 during that show as well. Its when there is next to no hype between shows with the fight nights and mid week Fox shows that the PPVS don't seem so special.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but how much of the big occasion feel for that PPV last weekend was because the company actually took some time to build it like they used to? A huge problem with the PPV's of recent times is that they sneak up on you without any real fanfare, which has to have an effect on the interest they get.

Yeh thats true, i think theres signs thay they are doing things to rectify that though. The smaller shows should feature significant advertising for the PPVs, we've also seen more of the on show interviews with future main event fighters also. I think they are making a step in the right direction with it.

The new promos they've done for 182 & 183 have been amongst the best they've ever done.

Yeh thats true, i think theres signs thay they are doing things to rectify that though. The smaller shows should feature significant advertising for the PPVs, we've also seen more of the on show interviews with future main event fighters also. I think they are making a step in the right direction with it.

The new promos they've done for 182 & 183 have been amongst the best they've ever done.

I will say that the booking of events for this year thus far has been fairly solid save for the lack of a real co-main on the Anderson vs Diaz card. I would have went with McGregor vs Siver as a co-main on that personally, although I can see why Boston is a good fit.

The Belfort vs Weidman card looks fantastic.

• Paid Members

Outside of Boston making sense for McGregor in terms of the city, I think it's important for Mcgregor to be on a free card too.

He's yet to headline a free to air card on network TV and hasn't really had that much exposure to the US audience.

He needs this card to make a statement in front of a big audience to convert those eyeballs into buys when it comes to headlining a ppv with Aldo.

Archived