RIP Robin Williams

Ars

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I really never took to him as a child or a teen. It wasn't really until I saw Good Morning Vietnam that I revised my view on him. Much prefered his more dramatic performances. To go this way is a real shame. RIP.

• Paid Members

I think to really appreciate his comic talent, you need to see his stand-up, and that's something that's had little attention over the last decade or so, in favour of either his dramatic, or more family friendly roles.

• Moderators

'Robin Williams dead from suspected suicide' is one of the most unbearably sad sentences you could construct.

Any time I read one of those internet threads about celebrity encounters, there'd be a story about him dropping everything to go and make regular folks laugh. It's hard not to think about the crazy billion mph mind of his, constantly whirling, and wonder what hell that must have been like when depression filled it with bad thoughts.

• Paid Members

'Robin Williams dead from suspected suicide' is one of the most unbearably sad sentences you could construct.

This is what really is just the worst thing about it. As something I've seen on twitter said "how can someone who brought so much happiness to so many people have none left for himself?"

There's no way a bad word is going to be uttered against him, he always came across as the loveliest guy.

An absolute sucker punch :(

If the suicide by hanging is true i guess i won't be watching World's Greatest Dad anytime soon.

Watched SO much of his work, Good Morning Vietnam, Garp, Club Paradise, Mrs Doubtfire, The Fisher King, Birdcage etc he has been in some terrible rubbish as well but even in them there were glimpses of fun (he's the only sodding thing to watch Happy Feet for) and World's Greatest Dad might just be him at his best as an actor.

Fuck off with this news

• Moderators

If the suicide by hanging is true i guess i won't be watching World Greatest Dad anytime soon.

Didn't stop Sky News doing the whole "and now let's watch a clip of him in action" thing and showing the fucking "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" scene, mind. Twice, on a loop.

• Paid Members

Has anybody else seen The Survivors? I've only ever known one other person that knows of the existence of this film (and that's because he was the one who recorded it).

It might not have aged well, but my memory of it is as funny as anything else he's done.

• Paid Members

I think to really appreciate his comic talent, you need to see his stand-up, and that's something that's had little attention over the last decade or so, in favour of either his dramatic, or more family friendly roles.

Absolutely. His stand up is sensational, tear-inducingly funny.

I'll really miss his "turn up on a chat show and run riot" appearances too.

If the suicide by hanging is true i guess i won't be watching World Greatest Dad anytime soon.

Didn't stop Sky News doing the whole "and now let's watch a clip of him in action" thing and showing the fucking "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" scene, mind. Twice, on a loop.

Kay Burley laughing along as well?

My instant thought was World's Greatest Dad for certain scenes and just remembering how much i loved his performance. Then i remembered i found out today that there's a french Mrs Doubtfire movie.

I will go into bat for Mrs Doubtfire anytime, i saw the last 10-15mins a few weeks ago and that courtroom scene at the end is still a lipbiter.

Archived