Oz

PowerButchi

• 3 months later...

So as some of you know, I have been looking at starting an episode by episode review of Oz, pretty much since it was suggested on here a couple of months back about a re-watch.

Well, the first episode is available now. I'm trying to get the show onto iTunes at the moment, but they're proving to be a bit of a handful, but for now it is currently available at the links below:

ACast - https://www.acast.com/insideozpodcast

Podbean - https://insideozpodcast.podbean.com/e/s1e1-the-routine/

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/user-666653383/s1e1-the-routine

Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=55220539&autoplay=1

Episodes 2 and 3 will follow over the next month (I'm thinking of releasing every two weeks) and Episode 4 is recorded and will be edited over the weekend

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On 7/6/2018 at 6:56 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

So as some of you know, I have been looking at starting an episode by episode review of Oz, pretty much since it was suggested on here a couple of months back about a re-watch.

Well, the first episode is available now. I'm trying to get the show onto iTunes at the moment, but they're proving to be a bit of a handful, but for now it is currently available at the links below:

Podbean - https://insideozpodcast.podbean.com/e/s1e1-the-routine/

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/user-666653383/s1e1-the-routine

Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=55220539&autoplay=1

Episodes 2 and 3 will follow over the next month (I'm thinking of releasing every two weeks) and Episode 4 is recorded and will be edited over the weekend

Is there a RSS Feed dude? I've stalled watching Oz somewhere in season 2. This could get me back into it.

Thought you did really well with the podcast. I think adding audio clips from the show help set the scene. I think interviews with Tom Fontana & cast members down the line would definitely be an added bonus. I would look into talking with other folks who worked on the show too if possible who might be able to add more insight and things like if anything was taken out of the scripts, stories from the set, if HBO objected to any of the content etc.

I liked the background on the real people behind the characters. Found an interesting interview with Chuck Zito here

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/hells-real-life-angel-chuck-zito.aspx/amp/

he mentions he did time from 1985 to 1990 and they changed his characters name to Chuckie from what it was originally. So things like that as I listener I find interesting. Only very, very minor critique is that you can hear where you've edited. As a solution maybe insert a short audio snippet from the show sort of like an ad-break so it transitions abit more seamlessly but apart from that, really good job.

I'd also not worry too much about making it too perfect, it's expected you might make mistakes, mispronounce words etc and I would try and break things up when recording, rather than try and do it in one take. Record in snippets if easier (Audacity will save it as a project or export it to WAV) and piece it together. I would amplify the sound clips too from Oz and try and source them from the DVDs (you can get ffmpeg to import AC3 into Audacity). 

14 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Thought you did really well with the podcast. I think adding audio clips from the show help set the scene. I think interviews with Tom Fontana & cast members down the line would definitely be an added bonus. I would look into talking with other folks who worked on the show too if possible who might be able to add more insight and things like if anything was taken out of the scripts, stories from the set, if HBO objected to any of the content etc.

I liked the background on the real people behind the characters. Found an interesting interview with Chuck Zito here

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/hells-real-life-angel-chuck-zito.aspx/amp/

he mentions he did time from 1985 to 1990 and they changed his characters name to Chuckie from what it was originally. So things like that as I listener I find interesting. Only very, very minor critique is that you can hear where you've edited. As a solution maybe insert a short audio snippet from the show sort of like an ad-break so it transitions abit more seamlessly but apart from that, really good job.

I'd also not worry too much about making it too perfect, it's expected you might make mistakes, mispronounce words etc and I would try and break things up when recording, rather than try and do it in one take. Record in snippets if easier (Audacity will save it as a project or export it to WAV) and piece it together. I would amplify the sound clips too from Oz and try and source them from the DVDs (you can get ffmpeg to import AC3 into Audacity). 

Just want to say thank so much for the feedback. To know that you’ve actually taken time out of your day to give it a shot, that means a lot to me. With regards to some of the points you raised-

* I mentioned it a few weeks back, but I have spoken to Tom Fontana via email and he has agreed to do an interview if his schedule will allow it. He is currently developing two new projects for TV, so at the moment his time is short, but he seems to be up for getting involved whenever he can. I am going to try and get interviews with other cast & crew were possible, assuming that the show gains any sort of traction.

* Thank you for that Chuck Zito interview link, and I will keep it for when he turns up in the show. The plan is to introduce the actors a bit more when they get their ‘intros’ from Augustus Hill, so I will talk about the actor pre-Oz and when their character dies or whenever they leave the show, I will then do a post-Oz segment on them.

* The next few episodes do use more clips to break up the recording. As soon as I sat down to record that first episode I was absolutely paralysed with fear. “What if no-one likes it, what if it sounds like shite, what do I do if I just go off wittering about nothing”. Ep#1 took me nearly 5 hours to record because I was stopping & starting so often due to nerves.

* Eps 1 & 2 I was just working from notes on the show. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to say, but I hadn’t decided exactly until I hit record. However, Ep3 onwards I am working from an actual script for the episode, and my recording time been drastically decreased as a result. I’m also starting to find my ‘host voice’ a little bit more now. Now that the show is out there and people are starting to listen to it, I’m relaxing a bit more and starting to enjoy the process alot more.

* Thank you for the recommendation of ffmpeg. At the moment it has been very much a ghetto style production, but considering that I don’t think that it sounded too bad. I’m still learning the in & outs of putting a show together, but there’s a small segment in Ep2 (which will be released Friday 20th July) which I’m really proud of and hopefully comes across well when/if you listen to it. Listening back to the edits of the first two episodes, I was worried that using the show’s theme as the intro took too long. Even though I do start to talk before it finishes, it’s still the better part of a minute until I come in. Ep3 has an altered theme which I’ve trimmed down slightly but also added quotes from the show over the top too.

* At the moment I focusing on getting the next episodes out and building some sort of listener-base. I’m posting more & more on Twitter & Instagram with where it can be listened to, and I even got a retweet from BD Wong which absolutely blew my mind that he had seen something I’d written and then decided it was worth sharing with his fans.

Thank you once again for the feedback, and thank you for trying the show and I hope you’ll continue to do so if you’re able

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed it. Watching the series twice was enough depression for one lifetime, so it was good to hear that this format works well even if you haven't just watched the episode in question. I also thought the use of clips was a very good balance between being enough to make the point and add flavour, but not enough that it would be annoying it you'd just watched it, or to the point that it's going beyond fair use. 

15 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Do you think you’ll be able to get it on iTunes soon Wyatt?

I’m trying to get it on, but it keeps saying that my artwork isn’t correct and because it’s hosted by Podbean, it’s saying something about needing to have the domain for the podcast. It’s proving to be a bit of a ball ache, but I am working on it. Even if it means I end up putting episodes on iTunes in bulk when it evtually accepts it, I will do.

@JNLister thank you to yourself too for taking the time to give it a shot

Edited by WyattSheepMask

20 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Just want to say thank so much for the feedback. To know that you’ve actually taken time out of your day to give it a shot, that means a lot to me. With regards to some of the points you raised-

* I mentioned it a few weeks back, but I have spoken to Tom Fontana via email and he has agreed to do an interview if his schedule will allow it. He is currently developing two new projects for TV, so at the moment his time is short, but he seems to be up for getting involved whenever he can. I am going to try and get interviews with other cast & crew were possible, assuming that the show gains any sort of traction.

* Thank you for that Chuck Zito interview link, and I will keep it for when he turns up in the show. The plan is to introduce the actors a bit more when they get their ‘intros’ from Augustus Hill, so I will talk about the actor pre-Oz and when their character dies or whenever they leave the show, I will then do a post-Oz segment on them.

* The next few episodes do use more clips to break up the recording. As soon as I sat down to record that first episode I was absolutely paralysed with fear. “What if no-one likes it, what if it sounds like shite, what do I do if I just go off wittering about nothing”. Ep#1 took me nearly 5 hours to record because I was stopping & starting so often due to nerves.

* Eps 1 & 2 I was just working from notes on the show. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to say, but I hadn’t decided exactly until I hit record. However, Ep3 onwards I am working from an actual script for the episode, and my recording time been drastically decreased as a result. I’m also starting to find my ‘host voice’ a little bit more now. Now that the show is out there and people are starting to listen to it, I’m relaxing a bit more and starting to enjoy the process alot more.

* Thank you for the recommendation of ffmpeg. At the moment it has been very much a ghetto style production, but considering that I don’t think that it sounded too bad. I’m still learning the in & outs of putting a show together, but there’s a small segment in Ep2 (which will be released Friday 20th July) which I’m really proud of and hopefully comes across well when/if you listen to it. Listening back to the edits of the first two episodes, I was worried that using the show’s theme as the intro took too long. Even though I do start to talk before it finishes, it’s still the better part of a minute until I come in. Ep3 has an altered theme which I’ve trimmed down slightly but also added quotes from the show over the top too.

* At the moment I focusing on getting the next episodes out and building some sort of listener-base. I’m posting more & more on Twitter & Instagram with where it can be listened to, and I even got a retweet from BD Wong which absolutely blew my mind that he had seen something I’d written and then decided it was worth sharing with his fans.

Thank you once again for the feedback, and thank you for trying the show and I hope you’ll continue to do so if you’re able

You're welcome mate. An interview with Tom Fontana will be real interesting if he agrees to it scheduling permitting. I'd be intrigued to know *spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the show yet*,

edit: I've also added something about submitting podcasts to iTunes etc but it's stuck in the spoiler box for some reason

Was he planning on a seventh season as the way the show ended with the inmates moving to another prison kinda left it without a real conclusion

Also why did he think to bring back Beecher in as an inmate, whereas he could have transitioned into the lawyer role to help out the other inmates. Same as with Kareem, when he was pardoned do you think they could have still had him as part of the cast but as a mentoring type role.

Did any former/current prisoners get in contact about the show and did any offer any input when he was developing the show etc. 

For the celebrity guest stars, was there any he wanted on the show and any he said no to.

What episode(s) are his favourites and are they any which he thought went too far.

The execution of Ryan's brother Cyril is I think one of the more difficult scenes of the entire run to watch because despite his crime he's a character you could have a certain degree of empathy for. There seems some sort of undertone they were going to pardon him at one point (I think Ryan talks to one of the characters about it) so was that the case originally or I might be assuming wrongly.

Did he have any plans to revisit Oz at any point to conclude the story, or if he made it in 2018 are there anything(s) he would do differently?

I thought the show was perfectly cast but did they have any original actors/actresses planned for certain roles who he thought were better suited to others. For example there's a DVD extra where you have characters reading for the Augustus narrator role

Yep I'd imagine it was nerve wracking to begin with but you've brought the project to fruition and really that's the toughest part. As time progresses I think things will be easier and you'll be more confident. If you wanted to shorten the introduction theme you could edit it so it plays the ending part of the intro & have Augustus do his welcome to Oz bit at the end, so you cut it down to like 15-20 seconds. The recording setup is fine it doesn't need to be super professional. Are you using a pop shield?, if not it's easy to make one. 

For iTunes some guidelines which might help

https://create.blubrry.com/manual/podcast-promotion/submit-podcast-to-itunes/

Cool you got a retweet from BD Wong. I think when your listener base grows it will open more doors for interviewers, more promotion etc. I would search out like TV forums, cult TV, digitalspy etc and put a link to your podcast on there. Also post it up on YouTube so anyone watching Oz clips might get linked to it. Fair use should cover any audio clips you post. 

Also thanks to you for doing this podcast, Oz is a show which had me hooked and theres not much information out there about it, which is surprising since it was HBOs first real big show before The Wire, The Sopranos etc so you'd think there would be something out there, so your podcast is unique in that regard.

I'll definitely keep tuning in to listen and I'm sure others are & more will too. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe

so for anybody that's interested, I'm still in the processto get the show onto Itunes, but i am a step closer at least. It has finally accepted my artwork, and I've managed to get it submitted for review despite something saying "The feed domain belongs to a 3rd-party. Podcasters should own the podcast domain and redirect to the hosted feed as neccessary, so they don’t lose their subscribers if they change hosts, or the host goes out of business". I don't if that it is meaning that I need to upgrade my podbean subscription, or if i can just buy a domain name from GoDaddy or something like that. So still trying, not there yet but definately closer than before, I will update assuming it gets approved. Show is still available on Stitcher, Soundcloud, Acast and from the Podbean site, Episode 2 will be out next friday.

I've also made some new artwork, which looks a little bit nicer than before

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Podcast is now on iTunes. Might take a day or so to actually appear when you search iTunes but this link should take you to it and you can subscribe there too

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/inside-oz/id1412397275?mt=2

Ahow is still available through the Podbean site and by searching ‘Inside Oz’ at Stitcher, ACast and Soundcloud.

Episode 2 is out this Friday

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Episode 2 (Visits, Conjugal & Otherwise) is now available through all the places I've listed except ACast for some reason, but I'm sure it will update itself soon enough.

Dino Ortalani is dead, and it's a race between Nino Schibetta and he prison staff to find out who is behind the murder. Beecher gets to spend a night with his wife, Schillinger makes a PSA, we meet Miguel Alvarez, Jefferson Keane gets married and Fr. Ray Mukada makes his debut.

All this and more on Season 1 Episode 2, Visits Conjugal & Otherwise

Follow the show on Twitter & Instagram - @insideozpodcast

get in touch with the show - insideozpodcast@gmail.com

4CBF3159-1BF4-4C9C-AFFD-872CB2556DB5_zps

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 3, God’s Chillin’, is now available - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/inside-oz/id1412397275?mt=2

If you don’t use iTunes, just search ‘Inside Oz’ on Stitcher, ACast, Podbean or wherever you get your podcasts from 

“Friction continues to grow between the crews in Oz, so Leo summons the leaders to his office. Fr. Ray gets to conduct his business in an unsuitable place, Groves contemplates changing his faith (honest!) while Beecher begins to lose his. An audience favourite arrives in Em City, Jefferson Keane sees the light and Alvarez becomes a father, but there are complications. Just another day in Oz on Season 1 Episode 3, God's Chillin'.”

• 1 month later...

Left this for a little while to let episodes build up and I’m not bumping the thread every couple of weeks. I’m editing episode 7 today to be released at the end of the month, but for now the first 6 episodes, covering everything up the episode ‘To Your Health, are available as follows:

itunes- https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/inside-oz/id1412397275?mt=2

Podbean - https://insideozpodcast.podbean.com/ and the Podbean app at http://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-hx7a4-99b7ff

Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=206146

Twitter & Instagram - @insideozpodcast

Email - insideozpodcast@gmail.com