Dragon Gate 2014 UK Tour 25th & 26th July : Both DVDs released&#33

Mark Sloan

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon Ladies and Gents. Been a while since I posted so thought I'd offer a few random thoughts:

Need to embark on a near enough three hour drive to Hoddesden from Derby for the Saturday show...DAMN. Not quite as far when I went to see DG in Japan at KBS Hall in Kyoto previously (tickets courtesy of the uber-friendly and helpful CIMA) but it'll be worth it - though my long suffering wife may disagree.

Big up to Y2Jabba on his WWE2k14 stuff - spent more time downloading and playing them DG creations in the DGUK arena than the main game. I've added my own take with adding the music from the Open the Music Gate 2012 CD - awesome to hear Fear & Loathing for PAC (Adrian Neville) and Liner for Yokosuka during their entrances.

I forgot how many silly chants I made both alone and with folks joining until watching the N3 DVD at Castleford. Couple of lads sat near me had the best one at Noam Dar - "thirty five quid - you're having a laugh" in relation to him flogging his DVDs at the meet and greet. Still my favourite was leading "that was rubbish" at Chris Roberts' Lion Kid impression - the Welshman pleads ignorance when I mentioned it on twitter.

The shock? Shingo not coming. Hmmm, I'm not too fussed be honest. Whilst he is a decent wrestler, IMO he has dominated DGUK a little too much for my taste - nearly every DGUK event, he headlines. In Japan, he is usually mid to upper card. There's a cracking roster with enough personalities without the need for Shingo. Disappointed the Millenials, Jimmys or otherwise worthy talent aren't coming.

Noam Dar - Mark mentioned on twitter that Noam's availability is very limited so might not make both shows hence him not being a reveal yet. Noam's good but I think there are plenty of other UK talent about.

Imagine Grado in a DGUK ring - it'd be enough to make your dreams or nightmares come true...

The calibur of the DGUK shows are sublime from the lighting to the ring to the whole production values. The biggest thing I've been impressed with are the DVDs and the customer service of A-Merch. It's easy to burn a fews discs, write on them with a sharpie and flog em for a tenner like some companies. A-Merch take their time but also deliver a great experience and go the extra mile as they're so proud of their product (and rightly so).

Suggestion for Mr Sloan - how about at the beginning of your DGUK shows - play "Space Gate" and flash the lights randomly BEFORE "Dragon Storm (DG Theme Tune) - sounds cheesy, but that is how the DG Japan shows open. It'd be interesting to see how UK audiences reacted to it.

Marty Scurllic the Hedgehog - praying he recoups in time - Haskins/Scurll vs Ricochet/Swann - #thatisawesome

Shame the DGUK talent is all named - Uhaa Nation is over here a lot, perhaps he could fill in?

Did I mention the wife is big fan of Tozawa? Yep she is, just not a fan the front row - sssshhh no-one tell her we're on there...again :)

Hotels - anyone have any good suggestions? Nearest ones seem to be 5-10 miles away.

Anything to do in Hoddesden before or after the show? Nothing in Castleford though it was like walking on to the set of Goodnight Sweetheart in that town...

Random ramblings but am pumped for July...anyone else?

• Paid Members
Hotels - anyone have any good suggestions? Nearest ones seem to be 5-10 miles away.

Harlow Travelodge. The car park backs onto the train station and it's a short ride to Broxbourne.

Afternoon Ladies and Gents. Been a while since I posted so thought I'd offer a few random thoughts:

Need to embark on a near enough three hour drive to Hoddesden from Derby for the Saturday show...DAMN. Not quite as far when I went to see DG in Japan at KBS Hall in Kyoto previously (tickets courtesy of the uber-friendly and helpful CIMA) but it'll be worth it - though my long suffering wife may disagree.

Big up to Y2Jabba on his WWE2k14 stuff - spent more time downloading and playing them DG creations in the DGUK arena than the main game. I've added my own take with adding the music from the Open the Music Gate 2012 CD - awesome to hear Fear & Loathing for PAC (Adrian Neville) and Liner for Yokosuka during their entrances.

I forgot how many silly chants I made both alone and with folks joining until watching the N3 DVD at Castleford. Couple of lads sat near me had the best one at Noam Dar - "thirty five quid - you're having a laugh" in relation to him flogging his DVDs at the meet and greet. Still my favourite was leading "that was rubbish" at Chris Roberts' Lion Kid impression - the Welshman pleads ignorance when I mentioned it on twitter.

The shock? Shingo not coming. Hmmm, I'm not too fussed be honest. Whilst he is a decent wrestler, IMO he has dominated DGUK a little too much for my taste - nearly every DGUK event, he headlines. In Japan, he is usually mid to upper card. There's a cracking roster with enough personalities without the need for Shingo. Disappointed the Millenials, Jimmys or otherwise worthy talent aren't coming.

Noam Dar - Mark mentioned on twitter that Noam's availability is very limited so might not make both shows hence him not being a reveal yet. Noam's good but I think there are plenty of other UK talent about.

Imagine Grado in a DGUK ring - it'd be enough to make your dreams or nightmares come true...

The calibur of the DGUK shows are sublime from the lighting to the ring to the whole production values. The biggest thing I've been impressed with are the DVDs and the customer service of A-Merch. It's easy to burn a fews discs, write on them with a sharpie and flog em for a tenner like some companies. A-Merch take their time but also deliver a great experience and go the extra mile as they're so proud of their product (and rightly so).

Suggestion for Mr Sloan - how about at the beginning of your DGUK shows - play "Space Gate" and flash the lights randomly BEFORE "Dragon Storm (DG Theme Tune) - sounds cheesy, but that is how the DG Japan shows open. It'd be interesting to see how UK audiences reacted to it.

Marty Scurllic the Hedgehog - praying he recoups in time - Haskins/Scurll vs Ricochet/Swann - #thatisawesome

Shame the DGUK talent is all named - Uhaa Nation is over here a lot, perhaps he could fill in?

Did I mention the wife is big fan of Tozawa? Yep she is, just not a fan the front row - sssshhh no-one tell her we're on there...again :)

Anything to do in Hoddesden before or after the show? Nothing in Castleford though it was like walking on to the set of Goodnight Sweetheart in that town...

Random ramblings but am pumped for July...anyone else?

Thanks! im the same I never play as the normal roster, I also tend to download the themes and whack them on the entrances.

I agree with the Dar bit, although hes great id love to see El Ligero debut. Pre-show is wide open, who wouldn't love to see so high flyers like mark Andrews make an appearance.

I know Grado is hot right now and ill probably get attacked for saying this but I really don't wanna see him in a DGUK ring, call me crazy but I just cant see it fitting.

as far as hotels, as were driving were looking at ones within 30 mins drive and not just around the hoddesden area

hey goalman, is KBS Hall as pretty in person as it looks on tape? Gotta be one of wrestling's coolest venues.

Hi Alan - KBS from the outside is a pretty brutal looking concrete venue not unlike many venues/theatres/town halls in towns in the UK.

That said, when in the main room, there is a huge stained glass window - which, when lit up - is spectacular. It's pretty small but slightly larger than Broxbourne, Castleford and so on.

FYI by comparison, Korakuen was a bit of a dump (I went to a NJPW show the day before). It's on a fifth floor of a large complex and is tiered steeply one side and is pretty compact around the ring. That said, there was something special about being in such a legendary building.

I'll try and upload some photos of the show I went to, to illustrate if you like (and I can remember where they are)?

• Paid Members

Korakuen is fucking amazing. It always boggled my mind seeing people getting the lift in blue building up to the hall instead of going up the steps, seeing the wrestlers' writings and doodles on the walls is fabulous. For a serious Puro mark it's like a religious experience. Once you get through that fire door and leave the gaudiness of Dome City behind you, it's brilliant.

Korakuen is fucking amazing. It always boggled my mind seeing people getting the lift in blue building up to the hall instead of going up the steps, seeing the wrestlers' writings and doodles on the walls is fabulous. For a serious Puro mark it's like a religious experience. Once you get through that fire door and leave the gaudiness of Dome City behind you, it's brilliant.

all the writing got covered over a while back. So sad!

• Paid Members
all the writing got covered over a while back. So sad!

Oh, for fuck's sake. Good job I took photos of the best bits and of my own additions.

Yeah if I'm "disappointed" about anything it's the lack of a different full time Dragon Gate star or two making the trip over. I'm guessing at this point the likes of K-ness, Don Fujii and such simply aren't interested? Shingo's great, but he's not the be-all-and-end-all of DG:UK and nor should he be. And of course if he returns on what seems to be an already promised 2015 tour then this absence will make THAT a pretty big deal.

I've actually not found myself hanging on every weekly announcement like in previous years this time around. Because, basically, these will be two great shows. They just will. They always are.

@air_raid - was just offering an opinion on the building by way of comparison to KBS - that's all...I wasn't degrading the holy grail to puroresu, merely commenting on its asthetics.

I totally agree the experience of such a legendary venue far outways the look of the building.

It was a completely alien experience to sit in a crowd that was largely silent during matches unlike the football-like atmospheres of Western promotions. That only added to the charm.

Archived