macho man is the best ever

The Spandex Cowboy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Savage is only spoken about in such a high manner because he died. Ditto with Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero. He was a great for sure but the best ever? Nah.

That's completely untrue. He only died recently, but he's been talked about as one of the greatest for years. His matches with Steamboat, Hogan, Flair, Warrior etc. have been touted as some of the greatest ever. He may not be the majority's idea of the best ever, but there are plenty who are prepared to make a pretty solid case for him that he could arguably have been, purely in terms of ability.

And whilst Owen and Eddy may have been over-rated because of their deaths, doesn't mean they weren't great. Eddy, more so. And he was a massive fan favourite already prior to death - he was so over, the crowd cheered for him as a face despite him putting Tajiri through a car windscreen in an attempt by WWE to turn him heel. They kept him face as a result.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Spandex Cowboy? This is meant as friendly advice - if you're going to start threads, you need to put a lot more into your original post than just a line with a question, or you're going to cop a lot of flack from people on here. Contribute to the discussion more.

I don't deny that Savage, Eddie or Owen were great like I said but I think their deaths have made them more popular. It's always the same when any wrestler dies. Before Viscera died people were like "Oh he sucked he was dangerous in the ring" then when he died you get "I was a big fan of his work, very underrated" etc. Savage had great matches I don't deny that but the myth that he was one of the best ever has been perpetuated by his death.

I don't deny that Savage, Eddie or Owen were great like I said but I think their deaths have made them more popular. It's always the same when any wrestler dies. Before Viscera died people were like "Oh he sucked he was dangerous in the ring" then when he died you get "I was a big fan of his work, very underrated" etc. Savage had great matches I don't deny that but the myth that he was one of the best ever has been perpetuated by his death.

Bollocks.

• Paid Members
Savage is only spoken about in such a high manner because he died. Ditto with Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero. He was a great for sure but the best ever? Nah.

One of those posts that probably seemed like a good idea at the time, eh Callum? What a herbert.

• Paid Members

Savage began being touted as great when he disappeared for years and time away gave us only good memories of him. Not when he died. He was up there with Hogan and the Warrior when it came to people hating him in the late 90s/early 2000s. He couldn't get arrested for a while there. He was seen as an absolute joke to many. The kids of the 80s have grown up and we are the ones who are driving the Savage love these days. Because we were fans when he was in his prime. Same with the Warrior in many ways. And Hogan to a lesser extent. People aren't scared to admit their undying love for them. Unlike when they were active. The matches against Steamboat, Hogan, Warrior and Flair were always considered in classics, though.

I remember making a post regarding Savage being the man a few years back. Wish I could find it now.

EDIT: while looking for it, I found this ill-timed post

If Diana had stuck with him, she'd wouldnt have been in that car accident. Fair enough, she'd probably have hooked up with a 90s wrestling superstar and died of a drug overdose, but at least she'd have lived into her mid-40s. And at least we wouldnt get to hear Candle in the fucking Wind.

tumblr_lghkxaH7V81qfhcapo1_r2_400.jpg

3 months before the car accident :/

• Paid Members
I don't deny that Savage, Eddie or Owen were great like I said but I think their deaths have made them more popular.

Could Savage even be more popular after he died? Likewise Eddie.

It's always the same when any wrestler dies. Before Viscera died people were like "Oh he sucked he was dangerous in the ring" then when he died you get "I was a big fan of his work, very underrated" etc.

See if you can find the old Viscera/Big Daddy V thread. You're wrong.

Savage had great matches I don't deny that but the myth that he was one of the best ever has been perpetuated by his death.

No it hasn't. He was being touted as one of the best ever when he was still competing, and again in the time between retirement and his death.

Rather than just point and laugh, I'd welcome your explanation of how Savage's reputation is a myth.

Savage vs Warrior at Mania 7 is one of my favourite matches of all time. From a story telling point of view, it's absolutely fantastic. Monsoon on commentary was equally brilliant. Savage is one of the all time greats, no doubt about it. The fact he helped make DDP white hot in 1997, years after Vince claimed he was washed up and better suited to the commentary desk is a testimony to his ability.

• Paid Members

I see the point but just such a fucking misfire with this one.

• Paid Members

Savage and Flair's house show loop actually turned WCW's business around a few months before Hall and Nash showed up. Liz turning and Flair and Savage going at it on the house shows did massive business for them. Savage's WCW run is very understated. He did great business with Flair, Hogan and DDP. Shame he was breaking down rapidly. 1998 was the last time you seen him even close to mobile.

• Paid Members
It's always the same when any wrestler dies. Before Viscera died people were like "Oh he sucked he was dangerous in the ring" then when he died you get "I was a big fan of his work, very underrated" etc.

See if you can find the old Viscera/Big Daddy V thread. You're wrong.

Was going to say. I was never really a fan of him as Viscera or Mabel, but I fucking loved him as Big Daddy V, and I remember how many people on here shared the same sentiment when he first returned.

Ian, apart from Flair, DDP and Hogan, what other matches of Savage's would you consider great? Would like to catch some.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't argue with you, OP - not that you really made a point to arguer against, but I agree with your short sentence.

Savage was my favourite as a kid, and then HBK as he emerged.

• Paid Members

Apart from his allergy to Royal Rumbles, Savage was fucking awesome. There was reality and intensity about everything he did. Sure that was because he was a space cadet but that just added to his aura. He was exciting in an era when everyone was similar. He was quick, agile, flashy and risky. But never in a way where it lost all meaning like the guys who'd be flying about 10 years later.

Shelving him in 1993 was one of the stupidest things Vince has done. He had tons of mileage left in him and was a guaranteed main event at a time when they didn't have many. He was also perfect for putting over any new main event heels.

Best ever? By the criteria that matters to me, he's not far off. And he was the major part of the best match I've ever seen.

Young Callum is right in some ways, his death has brought him back into the conscience of a lot of fans. But he's not over-rated by it. If anything, it might just help another generation see his brilliance. And that's not a bad thing.

Archived